Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A Challenge: Creating an Incredibly Awesome BBS

Default A Challenge: Creating an Incredibly Awesome BBS

So, in light of many's apparent dissatisfaction with the BBS as of late, I propose an experiment.

There is too much complaining, and not enough doing, so let's do something.

So I need a few volunteers. I'm thinking 5-10. Too many is probably not good, although it might make the result even more interesting.

The challenge/experiment is for each of the volunteers to come up with one new and interesting thread each day for a week. If five people volunteer, that means we can expect 5 new threads each day, and a total of 35 new (and actually interesting) threads in a week.

What is interesting? Obviously that is not clear cut, and it will be up to the volunteers to try and decide. If the volunteers are diverse, we can maybe expect something for everybody's taste. I'd say you should try and come up with something original and creative, but that's not necessary. Anything that's not completely mind-numbing is a step in the right direction. I'd say you should try and initiate discussion. Perhaps give a thought and provide a lead-off question? Links are okay, but I would suggest to only include a link along with some discussion and a concrete topic, and not just "hey, this is a funny youtube video." Those links are perfect for the "link dump" thread, if that still exists. And threads don't have to be discussion based. You could post a short story. You could write up an amusing anecdote from your day. You could ask for advice.

If you want to do this, reply in this thread and say that you intend to partake. That will hold you accountable, and will hopefully provide the motivation to go through with it. If we want to make it a little more competitive, we could have a vote at the end of the week on who came up with the best threads, and who is thus the best BBS revolutionizer of 2009.

I'm thinking if a few people take on the challenge, the result could be really great. And then after a week, we could create a new challenge, or just see if that's enough of a catalyst to kickstart a more long-term change.

I'm going to take my own challenge. This starts right now. Who's up for it?

Participants:

1. Michelle
    2. Thomas
    3. lost
    4. IamSam
    5. T-6005
    6. ad8
    7. bighead
    Last edited by Betty; 01-13-2009 at 01:13 PM.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

*Grows a pair of devil horns*

Aw, hell, if there are no objections, I'd try taking part in this little experiment.

Chop off 1565's head, that's easier. That would be a sweet avatar.

- 1565AroundU

Quote Originally Posted by HeadAroundU View Post
    Chop off 1565's head, that's easier. That would be a sweet avatar.

- 1565AroundU
    Hahaaaa! I support this.

Stay on topic.

Michelle, I think this is a great idea. Unfortunately, I don't really have the time to do this. However, I'm super excited to see what other people come up with!

i guess it's all about the dream

I would partake but volunteering and putting in my own personal efforts and expect nothing in return just completely goes against everything I stand for.

I could try to make a couple of new topics in the following days, but by no means should I be on this list.

I've got nothing.

Sweet. We've got one more!

1. Michelle
    2. Thomas

Seriously, if you don't think you can do it, then don't feel bad, and don't volunteer. There are tons of posters on this BBS, and we only need a few to make this work. That's the beauty of it. Your task can be to try and get in a few good responses to the posts that are made.

Is this thing starting tonight?