Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Losing friends

Default Losing friends

Thought maybe I could get some advice...

So I've been drifting away from a group of guys I used to hang out with all the time. It's happened to me before, but there's something different about this. Basically, I have some problems with them, but at the same time, I don't really feel like I want to completely cut them out of my life. I'm trying to figure out what the hell to do.

My problem is, these guys haven't really grown up since I met them three years ago. At all. They've always been immature and they still are. The only difference is, they've become more arrogant and bigger attention whores. If you're not exactly like them, it's really hard to feel comfortable hanging out with them, because they basically live in their own world. But there are some things I like about them, and they can be fun. The past few times I've hung out with them, it's basically been me getting pissed off at some of the bullshit they pull, but at the same time, managing to have a fairly entertaining time overall. I guess you could say that sums up my dilemma pretty well.
    Last edited by bighead384; 01-19-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I was part of this group in high school school. We used to hang out all the time. I was close with most of the people in the group and would talk to them all the time. We still get along alright, but for the most part I really don't care to have anything to do with them. Half of them are bitchy arrogant people now, and others are still stuck in freshman year and their bitter resentment of stuff that happened five years ago.

I kept 1 or 2 friends from the whole group and thats it. There are some friends that I would've liked to have kept around. Maybe we'll rendevous in the future, but thats just life. You grow up and part ways with most of your friends. A couple will stick around, but would you really want more than that? I made a bunch of friends while I was at school in the fall, but now that I've transferred, I may keep in contact with a couple of them. Thats all I really expect from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

i think the best thing you could do was, to look for distance! you say their way of live didn't change and so on. the way you explain this problem shows me that you have changed and you are deciding another way of living and so on. i think if you don't cope you should just keep a "shallow" friendship with them, for havin' fun etc...but search other friends for real problems and for discussion that are important to develope and you need ppl around you who can give you advise and so on...never mind anything to say agains your ppl, just the way i think...

Dude, just buy your own damn french fries.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

If I kept every group of friends I made over the years, I wouldn't be able to keep track of everybody.

I was very close to a lot of the people from my high school, but since college started up, we've drifted apart. We all tried to really hang out more, but it just hasn't really worked out. All of those guys are really cool, genuinely nice people, too, and I absolutely adored every last one of them, but since college started, I've really kept in good contact with 2 or 3 of them.

It definitely sucks to realize that you are drifting apart from old friends, but newer friends are definitely going to show up. I've also noticed that each group of friends I make gets progressively better and better. The guys I hang out with now I wouldn't trade for the world and I know that THESE are the ones who I'm gonna keep in contact with forever. I've only known most of them for a few months, but I feel closer to them than my friends who I have known for 7, 8, 9, or more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    lol

Anyway, thanks for the input. I guess this sort of thing happens to everyone. I guess I'll just gradually care less and less until I realize that drifting away from them needed to happen. It's just kind of sad when you lose touch with people who you've had really good times with in the past, and you have more in common with them then not.

*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    LOL!
    Great reply.

I guess the thing I really never expected, that I'm realizing now that I'm growing up is...it isn't just some of your friends that you part ways with...it's nearly all of them.

I've been drifitng away from a few close friends that I had in high school. It's not that we don't get along anymore, when we hang out, it's just like we were when we were like 12 or 14. It's just that i don't really live where I used to go to high school, except for the summers.

And I find when I'm back at my parents house, i'm usually too tired after my job to do anything, and when i do want to go out, it's with this other smaller group of people. I don't know why i don't hang out with my old friends as much, when i'm back in town; perhaps it's because i'm not there for most of the year, and they just aren't a part of my life for like 9 months of the year. Maybe, i'm just a lazy person, or a bad friend; who knows.

I hung out with a couple of them over the Christmas break, and I had lots of fun; so maybe i'll take this as a sign, and put some effort into reconnecting with them in June, when i'm back in town. Or even my reading week, if i go home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

I've been meaning to make some new friends. I still have fun with my old friends and I don't ever really plan on all together not talking to them, but its getting kind of repetitive.
    I wrote a four word letter.