Thread: Your Level of Motivation

Hybrid View

Default Your Level of Motivation

Are you motivated? Inspired? Excited to contribute something to society? No matter what your answer is, what in life made you feel that way?

I've realized lately that I am not any of those things. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I think my bad experiences with people have really turned me off from wanting to do anything that could be considered an achievement or a contribution to society. I'm doing what I can to start a career and I have a set of morals that I try my best to follow, but that's the extent of my ambition and conviction. I can motivate myself to not be part of the problem, but I couldn't care less if I'm part of the solution. As far as creation and expression go, I can't seem to garner enough inspiration for either of those things. No matter how much I love and respect artists, and especially songwriters, I feel like that is something I could never do. I'm too uninspired for that, not to mention that there's also a lot of bullshit involved in that kind of "success".

But that's just me...I'm curious about what other people have to say in response to my questions.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

My motivation level is pretty low, too, but to me it's not much of a problem. To work hard on something like a song or a book, I need some inspiration and a clear vision. If you have both, you won't need any motivation. All ideas seem to be put together by themselves. Imho that's a process that creates legendary songs/books.
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

Yeah, it takes me a while to get motivated, but once I'm on and focus, nobody is gonna stop... unless I see a sign that says "Free Beer", then I see nothing wrong with a 5 minute to 3 hour break.

But seriously, once I get my tunes all in set with my headphones all jacked up to 11, I get a lot of shit accomplished.

I'm just motivated when I'm doing something interesting for me. In general, I'm a lazy asshole when it comes to doing extra things.
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

Quote Originally Posted by ad8 View Post
    I'm just motivated when I'm doing something interesting for me. In general, I'm a lazy asshole when it comes to doing extra things.
    Very well said
    It's hard for me to find motivation unless theres a consequence, if it means doing something for the sake of just doing it and getting nothing out of it besides peace of mind I'll normally stick to my usual lazy ways.

Exclamation

i'm very highly motivated/inspired/excited/ whatever you want to call it. i love what i do, so much that it gives me a buzz. i'm always trying to learn new things and get better at it, and i enjoy every minute of it. i'm also pretty idealistic about the role of design and how it can improve people's quality of life. perhaps i'm overestimating it. whatever.

so, yes.

at the same time, i tend to procrastinate and i can be quite lazy. heh.
    Last edited by Sunny; 02-14-2009 at 06:14 AM.

When I'm good, I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better.

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring-Junkie View Post
    My motivation level is pretty low, too, but to me it's not much of a problem. To work hard on something like a song or a book, I need some inspiration and a clear vision. If you have both, you won't need any motivation. All ideas seem to be put together by themselves. Imho that's a process that creates legendary songs/books.
    Most people never have to worry about something like that. The kind of motivation problem that plagues normal people are things like... excelling at work, getting into shape, maintaining a healthy image, forming and keeping passion and excitement in relationships, learning new things that take time, and breaking bad habits. I have to say, as bad as it sounds, I have trouble doing just about all of those, sometimes.