Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: It's done

Default It's done

When I joined the BBS in the summer of 2000, it was a new place. Offspring fans from all over the world who had just gotten internet access were beginning to join the forum. We carried long (if repetitive) discussions over favourite songs, albums, bands, movies etc... it was the beginning of a community. Over time, many people left but many more joined. The BBS was shut down and then re-opened, shut down again and again re-opened. Each time we came back and so a stable community has endured.

In 2005 after the spam has become incessant and troublesome, there was a popular vote to elect moderators. Initially I was afraid the vote would be rigged by few motivated people with a couple dozen of proxy accounts, but in retrospect it had worked out rather well. It was a good endorsement by the community because it represented our involvement in the BBS and I am happy to have been among the sixteen members voted in.

At first, we had no guideline of how and what are we supposed to moderate from the management, so we reached a group consensus between the moderators. We agreed to remove the spam and the really nasty stuff (i.e. tubgirl), and the rest we let-be because we wanted to preserve the kind of environment where we--as members and as a community--felt comfortable posting. Decisions pertaining to the forum were reached based on a moderators’ consensus but also reflected the will of the community at large. Together, we drafted a proposal before the administrator/management to enable a number of cool options that we thought would make the BBS a tad better, namely larger PM boxes, larger avatars, custom user-titles etc. Also together, we voted to ban a number of trolls that everybody wanted gone. Not including the spammers, you could count all the banned people on one hand in about three years of moderating activity.

More recently, the band or the management or whoever runs this place anyway, had wanted to make more changes (presumably for the new album) and so they approached Little_miss_1565 to draft the new board rules. Although the rules initially appeared reasonable, I think the application thereof has gradually become more strict and subjective. A forum that once was full of life in all its glory—emotions, opinions, arguments—was reduced to dull on-subject threads and politically-correct discussions. A forum that was once wonderful due to spontaneous and creative contributions made by very diverse members of the forum, is now under control by people who want to run the forum in a very specific way. A forum that was once chaotic and PUNK is no more.

If I write this now is because I am convinced that this community will never be what it was once. Although the decline in quality posting has been felt for at least a year or two now, the decision to remove 10 moderators basically marks the permanent transformation of this board. Personally, I think it’s a shame that all of us veteran posters were able to take advantage of this wonderful place for so many years but cannot pass-on an equally awesome community for younger members.
    All I can hear, I me mine
    I me mine, I me mine

ipunk.

But no, you really think the topics here - when they do rarely become decent discussions - are always entirely PC, and unmotivated, and uncreative? I know the board is mostly this way at the minute, but it's just another slump like the 20 million we've all gone through before.
    You must be reading a different forum. I don't think posting this topic is going to help morale any either.
    http://soundcloud.com/ciaran-lyttle
    I did it all for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

I completely and respectfully disagree that this place can't be awesome. It is and will be awesome, only in a different way than it was at the beginning. I'm really excited that the forums, for the first time in 10 years, are really centered around the band. From the way you have worded your statement, it would appear that you are extremely disappointed in things being about the band. The forums are and should be a place for fans to share ideas, discuss common interests, and, ideally, interact with the band and their songs (as they've done in Your Band). The forums as they were in the times you describe so lovingly were also marked by GOD being a lonely island in which anyone who dared venture out of it and talk about the Offspring favorably in any other part of the board was subjected to a great deal of abuse.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Quote Originally Posted by HornyPope View Post
    If I write this now is because I am convinced that this community will never be what it was once. Although the decline in quality posting has been felt for at least a year or two now, the decision to remove 10 moderators basically marks the permanent transformation of this board. Personally, I think it’s a shame that all of us veteran posters were able to take advantage of this wonderful place for so many years but cannot pass-on an equally awesome community for younger members.
    Of course it will never be what it once was. Things change over time and to expect it to go back to the way it was is ignorant of this fact. Different posters and situations merit different results. Just because something could happen "back in the day" does not mean it can happen now due to different people and different perspectives. Decisions from above have marked affect on how things transpire in the commons. Obviously the decision to knock off a bunch of you was made because someone thought the move was warranted.
    "There are no fools more bothersome than those with wit"

Epic thread is epic.

Or at least it will be.

But no, you really think the topics here - when they do rarely become decent discussions - are always entirely PC, and unmotivated, and uncreative? I know the board is mostly this way at the minute, but it's just another slump like the 20 million we've all gone through before.
    Sure, there were ups and downs before, but when people were allowed to go on huge rants and stir up drama, it created a lot of exciting material for others to read or to partake in. Now, where is the incentive anymore? I don't see it.

I completely and respectfully disagree that this place can't be awesome. It is and will be awesome, only in a different way than it was at the beginning.
    Your reality is obviously very, very different from that of a lot of other people, including myself. I've established this loong time ago.
    I me mine, I me mine

didn't we have this debate 2 months ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

So you're saying that without people having huge tantrums, being called faggots, and generally creating disturbance, it's boring? Yeah, I guess our realities are pretty divergent. I like my interaction without a side of bullying.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

You don't think there aren't rants and drama now? Where have you been?
    "There are no fools more bothersome than those with wit"

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    So you're saying that without people having huge tantrums, being called faggots, and generally creating disturbance, it's boring? Yeah, I guess our realities are pretty divergent. I like my interaction without a side of bullying.
    Do you also take your PARENTS to a rock concert?

You don't think there aren't rants and drama now? Where have you been?
    I've been here since 2000. This has NOTHING on what we've gone in the past.
    I me mine, I me mine