Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which OFFSPRING's song is the best???

who tagged /b/ and why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

I don't know, but I like that tag. It is very powerful and it makes sense.

All I Want. I love this song. Sound and lyrics are awesome.
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring-Junkie View Post
    All I Want. I love this song. Sound and lyrics are awesome.
    agree,but i still think trust in you is a little better
    also
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fan

Self Esteem

Quote Originally Posted by Hypodermic_89 View Post
    Fucking juniors.

Look. You can't commit to ONE Offspring song and call it the best. Your favorite song changes every day.

Totally Agree... Is the best comment has i seen ^^
    "All your anger, All your hurt Doesn't matter in the end"

I'm going to have to do a 'top 10' sort of thing.

10. "Vultures" - The only song from CO1 that deserves its place on this list, in my opinion, "Vultures", while bearing some resemlance to "Dirty Magic" and being towards the end of the record - thus punctuating the fact that the album is not only replete with repetition itself but also rife with recycled riffs and rehashed ideas, is still a very good song.

9. "Smash it Up" - Unlike thier cover of Jimi Hendrix's "Hey Joe" which was inferior to the original, albeit still a good song, the Offspring's version of "Smash it Up" is better than the original. It's also funny to me that this song wasn't written by the Offspring, as it was released a year after Smash which is when they really began changing thier style to make thier music more accessible to the "pop" crowd. Case in point - "and now we're gonna dance to a different song" - I'll bet that's what many old school Offspring fans sing with a grudging acceptance of the fact that after a certain point, the band's music sounds absolutely nothing like much of thier previous stuff. Honestly I'm tempted to place this song much higher on this list, I think it's a great rendition, very fun and energetic, but also a bit aggressive.

8. "Jennifer Lost the War" - Like many of the other songs on thier freshman effort, this could easily be considered one of the most relevant songs released during that time. Period. Equal parts expository and politicized, this unforgettable gem could quite conceivably haunt the souls of former soldiers who may or may not question thier contributions to some of the major military conflicts of which they were a part in the past.

The group's sound was definitely darker back then, as was thier subject matter. "Jennifer Lost the War" is great as an opening track and also, in my opinion, a good song to show anyone you think may be interested in the Offspring's older material, be it newer Offspring fans who have never heard the old stuff or otherwise. The only downside I can think of is that as the song continues, it loses the effect that the chilling delivery has on the listener as Holland shouts:

"Jennifer lost the war today
    They'll find her burned and raped
    Through it all she must have wondered
    What have I done
    But nobody really cares today
    The world's a busy place
    Guess she must have really sinned.."

Nonetheless it is a superb track, and I'm not sure if "little miss 1565" is a reference to the French massacre by the Spanish in Fort Caroline Florida or something else, but the alternate verse ending in "guess you must have really sinned now" really drives home the point that violence and war isn't anything new.

7. "The Noose" - Some would present the position that Splinter is, overall, a breath of fresh air from the days of Americana and Americana II (aka Conspiracy of One), and I wouldn't particularly feel inclined to argue. If there is any colonel of truth in this statement, however, it is absolutely evident by the second track, "The Noose". The drumming definitely treads into punk territory once again, the crazy riffs are threatening to come back for good, and the bass propels the song along nicely as Dexter delivers the vocals in his [sometimes typical] spit-fire-flow fashion. This is possibly the most aggressive/in your face track that they've produced since Americana even to this day, and while that might not be saying much, it is also one of the heaviest tracks in thier entire catalogue. This isn't to say that they should always play fast or hard either, mind you, but I'm sure longtime fans understand.

6. "Never Gonna Find Me"/"Lightning Rod" - Arguably one of the band's deepest tracks as it intensifies toward the end as it "burns out" before bleeding into "Lightning Rod" (I honestly cannot only listen to one without hearing the other before), I actually consider "Never Gonna Find Me" to be a transition into the track that follows.

5. "L.A.P.D" - As much as I do like the Offspring, I wouldn't really consider too much of what they've done to be groundbreaking. Where thier older stuff fails to be impressive, musically (which is pretty rarely), it is entertaining. The same cannot be said of much of thier newer material, but at this point we are beating a dead horse. "L.A.P.D." is more than just "another *GASP* anticop/anti-authority punk/hip hop song" (these two genre's of music appear to be the ones that have the most of this).

It deals specifically with the concept of the L.A. riots and the rampant police brutality that ensued, and I even get a degree of nostalgia as I reflect on that era because I remember watching the story as it unfolded on TV as a kid and shit!

The music is hard as fuck, the guitars are relentless, and Dexter's rap/hip hop-esque vocal delivery is honest and "in your face". It isn't challenging to sing the verses to this track, but you may have difficulty replicating Dexter's energized shouts that can be heard during the bridge. >: Personally, I think this would be a fun song to cover for anyone doing any variation of rock, metal, punk, even hip hop. I reckon it'd be a real crowd-pleaser.

4. "Americana" - With lyrics that include:

"Now, give me my cable, fast food, four-by's, tat's, right away!
    I want it right now, 'cause my g-ggeneration don't like to wait
    My future's determined by thieves, thugs, and vermin
    It's quite an excursion, but it's ok
    Everything's backwards in americana, my way
    Well, fuck you!"

this song is actually very important. I believe the message was important back when it was released in '99 and that it still is. On this album of the same title and particularly on this jam we see Dexter Holland playing around with different rhyme schemes and delivering the words in a style that is not usual or ordinary for him. The "wo-oh's" are still there, but the feeling this song can invoke in the listener is rare.

3. "Gone Away" - I know some people have lost loved ones that they were especially close to. I haven't been privy to this phenomenom myself, but I can certainly imagine what it would be like. Dexter Holland doesn't sing this song, he projects it. I even recall being in the living room of the house I lived in when I was 16 (I'd just purchased the album) and how it was still audible with the door to my room (where it was playing) closed, and how my mother remarked "somebody's dieing in your room."

Indeed, one can feel Dexter's pain here. The song reminds me of Pearl Jam's "Last Kiss", actually. Honestly I don't think I would be able to listen to this song if I could relate to it any better than I already can. Even if you've never lost anyone, "Gone Away" can be a real tear-jerker.

I rank this song so high on the list because it is definitely set apart from all other Offspring songs, except for maybe "No Hero", which dealt with a similar theme in a very different way back in 1993 (or whenever it was written).

2. "Genocide" - 'Nuff said.

1. "Change the World" - The epic conclusion to Ixnay, ah yes! Don't let "Mota" drown this one out. Don't let even "Gone Away" overshadow this magnum opus. Forget 'best on the album', this is one of the best songs the band has ever written, if not the best.

The song appears to be [at least partially] about the intellectual dishonesty inherent in many of our arguments as we tell ourselves and others "I'm doing it for the greater good/the planet/humanity/whatever". Like the last song on the following album, Americana, this isn't a typical song on the album it's on. I'm especially fond of the drums on this one, and the song's progression in general, as the beat builds and changes throughout the duration, peaking at the part where you hear:

"go on now, they won't tell
    go on now, save yourself"

repeated until it is shouted and the music picks up again.

Honorable mentions: "The Meaning of Life" ,"Kill the President", "Beheaded", "Session/We Are One"(that entire album really), "Nitro (youth energy)", "Takes me Nowhere", "Come Out and Play".
    Last edited by Mellow Chaos; 03-26-2009 at 05:13 AM.

And by the way, this is like a "if I *had* to choose" sort of deal.

staring at the sun

I have a feeling that I'm going enjoy Mellow Chaos a lot.
    Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?