Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Memory of Light to be split into three books.

Default Memory of Light to be split into three books.

I don't know if anyone will care aside from Per, but it's good enough for me.

The last volume of the Wheel of Time will apparently be split into three volumes, released a year apart in November of 2009, 2010, and 2011.

Which kind of sucks. I love the Wheel of Time, and if Brandon Sanderson can do a decent job on it I'm cool with a few more books. But waiting so long is just so frustrating. It's an overarching plot that Robert Jordan wanted condensed into one book, and now it's THREE books. Released a year apart each. I WANT TO KNOW THE END.

The first of the three will be called The Gathering Storm.

I think if the first book does come out in November, I'll start rereading the series in July sometime.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

I'm also planning on starting in July cause I heard November/December as well. Robert Jordan was deadset on having the books come out in one volume. So this really sucks. It means that I may even have to read the series again by the last one, just because you forget so much when there are already 13 volumes with an average of 800 pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Yeah, I read a bunch of opinions about how the books should be released six months apart each so that the cycle is complete within a year of this November, but apparently the author doesn't think he can have it prepared that quickly - it takes too long to go over in the editing process. But apparently the date set is the outside probability.

All the same, I'm pretty annoyed about it - even learning that apparently it isn't possible to bind 750,000 words into one book.

Robert Jordan did say that he expected them to discover a new way of printing just to get the final book(s) in one hard back edition instead of separating them. You would think they would fulfill a dying man's last wish.

Oh man this is like Dune all over again, except interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Robert Jordan did say that he expected them to discover a new way of printing just to get the final book(s) in one hard back edition instead of separating them. You would think they would fulfill a dying man's last wish.

Oh man this is like Dune all over again, except interesting.
    He said it'll be one volume even IF they have to invent a new way to bind. I think it's really funny that in the 21th century we still can't bind such large books. So much for the future.

Apparently his wife thinks that if he'd had to, he wouldn't have done it, since it's practically impossible. But who knows.

I think 2 years is just such a damn long time for books. The author who's finishing it has a blog post about the decision to split the books. If you're interested in checking out any of the Brandon Sanderson's actual work, I suggest you get Elantris first - it's quite decent. The first two Mistborn books by him are also pretty good, but the third one blows.

Here's his blog post about it. http://www.brandonsanderson.com/arti...Splitting-AMOL

I'll check him out probably. But I'm not sure if I want to check him out before or after I finish wheel of time. Because if I like his works then I will appreciate what he did to wheel of time. If I don't, I might not notice how he ruined wheel of time.

Quite the dilemma.

Well, I already know it won't be as good as if Robert Jordan had written it. I just wanted it to be good enough. That was the initial reason I checked out his books - to see if he'd do a decent job.

If he writes it like the first two Mistborns, it'll be pretty good - not amazing, but good enough for me to read the end. I didn't mind the third Mistborn either, just the plot ended stupidly. Since the plot's already set for this, I'm cool with that too. Elantris is my favorite book of his - it's worth a quick read.

I'm pretty torn on this. When Robert Jordan died I assumed the series would never be completed, and that was a huge disappointment. So I should be very excited by this news. And yet I'm not.

It just doesn't feel right. I honestly can't decide if I want to read these new ones or not. Especially since they are being split now. And is this guy really the best guy for the job? Maybe they should have waited a little longer before choosing him as the Jordan Reborn.

I wonder if this guy will consciously attempt to emulate Jordan's style or if he'll try to make it his own. Either way has drawbacks.

Creating three books out of what should have been one feels a bit like milking a dead cow, but I suppose if there's really enough content to justify it then I'll try not to be cynical about that.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

From what I've read, even before he died he excepted the last book to be about 2000 pages, which means he had enough notes, etc. to justify such a prediction, or even had enough material. So I don't think it's a stretch that 2000 pages could be made into 3 volumes.

It's just a buzzkill. They should release them simultaneously then, bad marketing strategy perhaps but easier on the reader.

The thing is, they're expecting it to be around 750,000 words. With that, it's so long that editing process would take forever - were the books to be released simultaneously they would only be released sometime next year or even in 2011. Apparently they preferred to give the fans at least something to read this year, even if it isn't the entirety of the last story arc.