Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Memory of Light to be split into three books.

I'll only say it once more. I only recommend three decent fantasy series to anyone.

1. Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time
    2. Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen
    3. George RR Martin's Song of Fire And Ice.

I recommend the third with reservations. Once you've read the second series you'll understand why it's almost right up there with Wheel of Time. Seriously. First book's alright, second book's, good... give it until the third book and you'll be done.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post

Book 4 is simply awesome. I can't say if it's one of the best because I don't remember the others well enough, and by the time I read the others again I will have forgotten why I loved book 4 so much. But I'm going to say it almost has to be one of the best. The Aiel backstory. The Two Rivers battle. The beginning of Matt becoming awesome. The breaking of the White Tower. Asmodean. Excellent.
    Book 4 is also the book where Robert Jordan's sense of humor becomes more noticable and present. This might be because nothing much happens for the first few hundred pages in book 4, so the humor helps the reader ignore that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. PIB
    So I noticed something. The writing style of the books seems to increase in maturity with each subsequent book, as well as the content. I have complained at times that the early books were too childish. I thought perhaps Jordan just hadn't really decided at first what he wanted his style to be. But I get it now. The style of writing, every aspect of the narrative, matures as the characters mature. Book one is childish because the protagonists are barely more than children. The literary style grows with them. This isn't something to criticize at all. This is genius. This isn't a failure to plan ahead. This is the ultimate example of masterfully planning ahead. I am awed.
    Definitely noticed this as well in my most recent read-through. It is rather impressive. The narrative style of any character (and all the characters have well-rounded backgrounds) changes with the character, their traumas have lasting effects, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I'm also following along the chapter summaries here in order to catch loads of things I might otherwise miss. Every few chapters I consult the guide. A guy at work who started reading them at exactly the same time as me is now an entire book ahead of me. He speculated my obsessive guide-reading might be to blame. I told him I just have more sex. But it's probably actually the guide. Totally worth it.
    I'm a total glutton for that kind of thing. The Mistborn books all have chapter annotations online, that was half the fun of reading those books (the annotations.) I'd definitely read the chapter guides for WoT, however I am not planning on re-reading the series again for a few years.

I'm planning on starting Elantris soon, after I finish A Clash of Kings.

Maartje's gotten into fantasy as well. She just started A Game of Thrones. (She finished the Mistborn books and went into A Song of Fire and Ice.)

I believe that the next Wheel of Time book is due out in October.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Ice and Fire. Just to be nit-picky.

How are you liking it? You must be liking it well enough since you're still going, and even got Tizz reading them. After I strongly encouraged you to read them I got nervous because I realized I hadn't read them in quite a while. Maybe they aren't as good as I remember. It would be mildly embarrassing to push something so strongly and then realize I completely overrated it. I definitely need to read them again as soon as I'm done with WoT. Then I might even try whatever that series is that Mr. T is recommending. Anything that gets placed between WoT and Ice and Fire deserves consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    This might be because nothing much happens for the first few hundred pages in book 4, so the humor helps the reader ignore that.
    Yes, I might have giggled a few times. Yeah, giggled. I'd like to say I chuckle in a manly fashion, but when reading I have a tendency to giggle excessively at moderately amusing things. Anyway. Can't say I've really noticed a lot of humor in his writing, and most of what is there is a bit too...obvious maybe? But then when I want humor I just read Pratchett so it's all good. Although, I did enjoy the bit in book 6 where Davram Bashere comments on the difficulty of giving decent burials to trees. Seemed Pratchettesque.

So, no one has any solid ideas on who killed Asmodean then?

I just commented on a typo on Brandon Sanderson's facebook and asked for a job as an editor. Fingers crossed.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

First of all, Richard, it's fairly certain that it was either Graendal or Slayer who killed Asmodean. Almost certainly the former.

Secondly, Towers of Midnight came out today. I have yet to pick it up since I am extremely poor right now, but as soon as I get some cash flow I'm buying it and reading the shit out of it. This is apparently the book that deals with Mat's journey to the Tower of Ghenjei.

Since it focuses on Mat, I also wouldn't mind some more Tuon. I came to appreciate her a lot and then she left.

The book arrived in the mail today. That was pretty awesome.
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Sweet. Don't be ruining shit for me.

So, you guys finished the series yet? My copy of the final book should be arriving any day now. I dislike reading hardback but I've just devoured The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight and can't wait for paperback.

After re-reading the first 11 books I was starting to feel a little burned out on the series but as soon as I started The Gathering Storm I felt my enthusiasm surge again. Not sure if it's due to the quality of the writing or just finally getting to read something I hadn't read before. Or perhaps both. So far I have to say Sanderson is doing a fine job. I can only think of one section that felt jarring to me, one section that didn't feel like WoT at all. Some of the characters feel a little different, but not to the point of distraction. The humor present in Mat's chapters, for example, is much more direct now.

I really like a lot of the little details Sanderson throws in. References to things from past books that often haven't been mentioned for a very long time. Fans remember little details and when they are mentioned again you feel like you are being rewarded for remembering. I'm assuming that Sanderson, as a fan himself, gets this. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading professional grade fanfic, and then I realize that is exactly what is actually happening. And somehow it's not a bad thing at all.

I wish Sanderson would continue to write stories set in the WoT world. I would be fine with entirely new characters. I just really like the world, the places and the people. I like that I can immediately tell that a character is from Illian, so I do. I like that Tairens won't shut up about fish. I like that people from Cairhien see intrigue in everything. I like that Shienarans have topknots, people from Arrafel have bells in their hair, Saldaens have funny noses and Ebou Dari will stab you. I've taken all this in in a way I've never experienced with any other franchise and I don't want it to stop. I read that Jordan's people do not want his world to go open source, but really, why not? It could be a lasting, living, monument to the man. The world would have been a poorer place if Star Trek had died with Rodenberry. And Lucas has set Star Wars free. Why does Jordan's magnificent world have to die with him? Yeah I'm comparing tv/film to books there, but still.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Done.

Anyone else? Anyone?

Feel weird now.

Finished a few months ago.

I don't know if I've outgrown the books, but for whatever reason these last three have felt rather unsatisfying. Sanderson's writing is alright - I enjoyed the Mistborn series, I suppose - but the books, especially the last book, were full-on plot point resolution and little else.

Tarmon Gai'don was really only made by how badass Mat and some of the Asha'man were - that part with Androl and the portals was so badass it was borderline absurd. Rand continued his trend of the last five books with me not particularly caring about him at all, and unfortunately in the last book Perrin joined him there.

I am glad I reached the end of it - I started the series with The Dragon Reborn in like 1998 or 99, so it's been a while waiting for the end. It's bittersweet, and I would have preferred Robert Jordan to finish it himself. But as an ending, it's alright. There was so much to resolve I don't know how much better it could have been done.

Tarmon Gai'don was really only made by how badass Mat and some of the Asha'man were - that part with Androl and the portals was so badass it was borderline absurd. Rand continued his trend of the last five books with me not particularly caring about him at all, and unfortunately in the last book Perrin joined him there.
    I think I stopped caring about Rand after he sat on a mountain for five minutes and all his troubles went away. I know the story needed him to get back on track but it was a bit sudden for me. Also, I suppose I was happy for him that he was more like his old self again, but the dark Rand was so much more interesting. I stopped caring about Perrin a very long time ago, unfortunately. Then my indifference sadly turned to outright annoyance, almost entirely because of Fail. I did really end up liking how his powers developed though. But who cares? It's all about Mat and the fantastic cast of supporting characters. Androl was fucking amazing indeed. Ballsy move, giving so much screen time to a character we basically don't know at all. A gamble that really paid off there.

Ultimately, I could criticize a lot of things, really quite a terrible amount of things...but I choose not to. The burden placed on Sanderson when chosen to finish this series was immense. Maybe "burden" isn't right. But I'm thinking that death is lighter than a feather, while finishing someone else's epic fantasy series beloved my millions is probably heavier than a mountain. Or something. I just really think he did very, very well considering the enormity of the task.

The final book, however, was certainly the weakest. While I wanted full-on plot point resolution I didn't want it to feel like obligatory plot point resolution. When I had about 50 pages left of the book I started to get really nervous that some things were going to get rushed or just left out entirely and unfortunately that was the case. Also, somehow, Tarmon Gai'don itself didn't feel anywhere near as impressive as the cleansing of saidin. But maybe that's just me.

I definitely am coming away from this series with a very positive view of the whole thing. I've read most of the books twice and I really doubt I'll ever read any of them again now, but I don't regret any of the time I've devoted to them. Even though you basically know how it's all going to end from the very beginning.

I'm now throwing myself into some of the Horus Heresy novels and then I think I'll read A Dance With Dragons. I find myself desperately needing some grimdark after WoT gave me happy endings pretty much all around. I sort of wish more major characters had been killed off, but then again, I always knew they wouldn't be.