Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Memory of Light to be split into three books.

Pretty sure the fans would gladly wait. Pretty sure they want some quick money.

I'm not always this cynical, honestly.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Pretty sure the fans would gladly wait. Pretty sure they want some quick money.

I'm not always this cynical, honestly.
    It's always possible - to be honest, however, I don't want to wait. I want the entirety of the book NOW, and if I can't have the entire book I want at least a little something.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

I'm not much of a reader, so I can't imagine how it is to wait for a book. I read two books this year, one even in English, that's more than I usually do. And I don't know Robert Jordan.
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

Get the fuck out of this thread hobo.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

I'm just about done rereading Eye of the World, and though I know exactly what happens from here on in I'm still pretty engaged in this story.

What I really like are the little touches around the edges, like meeting peripheral characters that have a tendency to reappear later - Basel Gill and Lamgwin at the inn, Tallanvor in the palace and such. Even Else Grinwell in the farm and Bayle Domon on the ship running from Trollocs eventually get brought back into the story, but Robert Jordan just lets them go their own way for a while.

I mean, even Padan Fain isn't mentioned by name after Baerlon, and he turns out to be pretty fucking important.

It's pretty great.

What I noticed is that even small insignificant places later have a role in the books. On their way to Caemlyn (can't remember which part, whether pre or post Four Kings) they pass some place called "____ Springs" (my memory sucks) which is where Gareth Bryne late retires as you may recall.

And even Salidar is on the map. It amazes me how much looks to be pre-planned just by all the details. All the little freaking details.

I also started recently (a few months ago) and am now in the middle of the 4th book. Which is pretty boring in the beginning, but there is more humor which is enjoyable.

We see Floran Gelb for the first time here. I don't remember why he's important, but his name is memorable. You also find out who Bors is in this book, I couldn't remember which Whitecloak, even though I suspected.

I've always liked that its Kaf and Tabac, and not tobacco and coffee as well.

And another thing I like is that I strongly suspect he makes up the names of roots, plants and fruits more often than not so that we'll just imagine them or whatever. The same with when he describes sword fights, except that in the first book or two you don't "know" the names of the different moves.

I do like the whole Tabac/Kaf thing as well, but I'm still more of a fan of how things tend to come back.

In the first book, there's that clear Lord of the Rings influence and so a lot of things just seem made up to impress the reader with cool titles - Lan's Malkieri heritage, Thom's past with Morgase in Caemlyn - actually get explained in later books as real events which influence the world, instead of just being "check out this cool title that this character has."

Even the Worms they meet in the Blight at the end of the first book are mentioned - by Sammael, I think - later on, tying everything together. Lan says two words to Ragan when riding into Fal Dara, and that character actually comes back to be a part - a small part, but a part nonetheless - of the series.

But most of all, I like how after the first book saidar and saidin aren't limitless sources of magic - how they work and their limitations are more clearly explained than in almost any other fantasy series.

Here's a question, though - how the hell does Bela (that's right, the horse) survive all of this? If I remember correctly, in Knife of Dreams she's Siuan's horse. It's like how has this horse survived as a named character this long?
    Last edited by T-6005; 09-04-2009 at 11:47 AM.

I've actually always liked that about Bela actually. Pretty obvious though:

Rand takes Bela to Emond's Field, Egwene takes Bela out of Emond's field and eventually to Tar Valon where Bela is left behind once Egwene, Nynaeve and Elayne leave Tar Valon (first with Liandrin, and then again on the errand that Siuan sends them on). When Siuan is deposed she takes Bela on her escape with the former Domani keeper and Logaine.

Actually I had forgotten how much Logaine becomes one of my favorite characters. Or how we hear about Mazrim Taim so much and how he seems to almost be an allusion to the role that Sammael plays in the former age.

I also love hearing about the Age of Legends because it is so science-fictiony in that fantasy/Star Wars way.

What I really want to know more about is the Seanchan and the lands east of the Aiel Waste.

The only real problem with the books is that Rand sucks to read.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    The only real problem with the books is that Rand sucks to read.
    Ugh, I totally agree. He's alright in the first books, but by Fires of Heaven I was looking forward to Mat and Perrin's chapters most of all (particularly Mat's). Although Mat starts getting awesome halfway through The Dragon Reborn.

I was actually disappointed when Robert Jordan confirmed in an interview that Mazrim Taim wasn't Demandred. Demandred and Sammael have really similar stories, though - Sammael was Lews Therin's friend, they rediscovered swordfighting or something, and then when Lews Therin did something or other Sammael got jealous. Demandred was pretty much jealous and second best in the world from the start, though.

I like that the Forsaken aren't homogeneous for the most part, though - they've all got different ways of acting and carrying out their plans, and it's more interesting to watch than if it were "Oh look it's all these bad guys acting together."

Until she got neutered (in Salidar the character lost all appeal for me) Moghedien was my favorite Forsaken.
    Last edited by T-6005; 09-04-2009 at 12:57 PM.