Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Memory of Light to be split into three books.

They seemed either inactive or subservient to Ishamael though until he dies of course. Although Lanfear is very much herself. I do like that we find out it was her who first opened the seal to the Dark One's prison in the Age of Legends, and that apparently the Age of Legends lasted for hundreds of thousands of years (as opposed to the 3000 in this current age). Apparently in an attempt to find a new source of the one power that both males and females could use.

But yeah Mat is easily the most entertaining to read, Perrin is far too much duty. And really there are just way too many volumes where he's attempting to save Faile from the Shaido, that lasted too long and was too boring. It is a pity that book 11 (I think) only spans one day, I mean its an interesting read but it was not the best use of pages.

Also that book 12 ends with Mat entering the Tower of Ghenjeii (where apparently Moiraine is, and where the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn, those people who live in the twisted doorways, live.) I mean I want to see him save her goddamnit.

I was never interested in Moghedien, I'm much more interested in the two new ones that appear, who are hinted to be reincarnations of old forsaken, I believe the female one is Ishamael although I'm not certain, and the male one might be Lanfear, but again I remember that those two didn't fully fit.

Also what happens to that really tall Myrdraal.

Actually that one forsaken who attempts to relive the age of legends and uses people as pets, that's fascinating.

Also remember those two old Aes Sedai that Moiraine visists? I think one was called Vandene, they were close sisters. They appear in the second book I think, later on one of them turns out to be Black Ajah. Fairly cool that they play a small role in the second book and such large roles later on.

Right now I've been trying to remember the name of that older women Mat has a relationship with who is a regent of some coastal nation. But I just can't place my finger on which one it is, and I can't seem to find it on the map.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    But yeah Mat is easily the most entertaining to read, Perrin is far too much duty. And really there are just way too many volumes where he's attempting to save Faile from the Shaido, that lasted too long and was too boring. It is a pity that book 11 (I think) only spans one day, I mean its an interesting read but it was not the best use of pages.
    I'll agree that that plot arc lasted way, way too long. And I couldn't care less about what happens to Galina. The whole POV with her was sort of annoying.
    Also that book 12 ends with Mat entering the Tower of Ghenjeii (where apparently Moiraine is, and where the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn, those people who live in the twisted doorways, live.) I mean I want to see him save her goddamnit.
    I like the friendship between Mat and Brigitte, and how the Tower of Ghenjei is mentioned in the first book by Bayle Domon, and then again in the World of Dreams by Brigitte. I hope Moiraine's rescue doesn't take too long - she hasn't been truly relevant since her death, and since all of the other characters are so much more powerful than she ever was now, I'm not sure it's such a great idea bringing her back.
    I was never interested in Moghedien, I'm much more interested in the two new ones that appear, who are hinted to be reincarnations of old forsaken, I believe the female one is Ishamael although I'm not certain, and the male one might be Lanfear, but again I remember that those two didn't fully fit.
    I liked Moghedien because she was really meticulous and devious and tries to essentially stay behind the scene, but her actions get more and more erratic as she sees her plans failing. I think the biggest draw for Moghedien was back when no one knew where she was, and everyone was wondering. It's kind of what they've done with Mesaana, though we know she's in the White Tower now. Pretty sure Demandred's the only one we know nothing about.

Also, I'm pretty sure O'sangar (the male one) is Aginor reincarnated, since he mentions creating the Trollocs right before he is killed. And if that's who he is, then Ar'angar is Balthamel (we also see that Ar'angar is sex-obsessed, and Aginor mentions Balthamel remembering "pleasures of the flesh" or some such when they're fighting at the Eye of the World) and Ishamael is probably reborn as Moridin.
    Also remember those two old Aes Sedai that Moiraine visists? I think one was called Vandene, they were close sisters. They appear in the second book I think, later on one of them turns out to be Black Ajah. Fairly cool that they play a small role in the second book and such large roles later on.

Right now I've been trying to remember the name of that older women Mat has a relationship with who is a regent of some coastal nation. But I just can't place my finger on which one it is, and I can't seem to find it on the map.
    I thought one of the old sisters was killed? And then one of the three remaining Aes Sedai is a Darkfriend.

And the queen is Queen Tylin in Ebou Dar. I think the gholam rips her head off right after Mat leaves.

While we're at it - is Verin Black Ajah? It sure as hell seems like it sometimes.
    Last edited by T-6005; 09-04-2009 at 02:46 PM.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Mat and Birgitte are a great couple, kind of almost want to see them end up getting together, especially since (forgot the name of her partner) is a baby now and she was ripped out of the pattern.

It's not that I think she'll play a great role, I just think it'd be great to have her alive again, that and it's always fun to read Mat playing the hero because he hates it so much.

Ah yes Moridin. I think you are right. For some reason I had thought that O'sangaar had to formerly have been a female. Its been too long since I read these books so all the later volumes are kinda hazy in detail. I did remember that they really couldn't be Ishamael or Lanfear because its almost stated explicity at some point, I just couldn't remember the reason.

Does Queen Tylin die? I'm not entirely certain she does. The gholam though is some crazy stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

It's definitely cool to have Mat and Brigitte in scenes together. My favorite scene with them was when they went out drinking, and then again when they're speaking in the old tongue.

Speaking of people being mentioned again, is Noam (the old dude who falls in with Mat and the Redarms in Ebou Dar) related to Jain Farstrider? Or perhaps even is him? I think he mentions it at one point, and I thought it was a totally cool way to bring everything back together.

Also, at the beginning of the The Great Hunt, Mat's kind of a jackass. I mean, even knowing it's a reaction to Rand's comments, it's going a little strong. There's sneering, so you know it's bad.

So, several things which have reminded me why exactly I love this series recently - I'm halfway through Lord of Chaos (Book 6).

First of all, I'd completely forgotten that Galad was Rand's half-brother. Tigraine and Taringail had a son, Galad, but then Tigraine became Shaiel and had Rand, while Taringail married Morgase and had Elayne and Gawyn. So Galad is half-sibling to Rand, Gawyn and Elayne while Rand can still be all ga-ga over Elayne because they aren't truly related (his father was Janduin). Not to mention that Tigraine's brother Luc went to the Blight and seemingly merged with Isam, Lan's nephew, to become Perrin's enemy Slayer. Pretty badass. Also, am I crazy or did Thom have Taringail killed - Morgase's POV says he died in a "hunting accident?"

Second, Alliandre (Queen of Ghealdan) and her note to Rand. He's all caught up in Carhien and Andor, Tear and the "Aiel nation," but it's nice to be reminded that the rest of the world exists, and Alliandre is the first one to openly swear to him. She's had brushes and meeting with Masema but sends him a direct note. I know she eventually joins Perrin and Faile's party but I really hope she survives to be the first ruler to keep her promise (technically Illian's Council of Nine gave the country to Rand once he killed Sammael, but Alliandre's promise predates that).

And lastly - Mat is finally awesome. He's on his way down to the border with Illian, which I'm pretty sure means he's going to head to Ebou Dar soon, which is probably my favorite episode of the entire Wheel of Time aside from debateably Perrin's "Two Rivers Campaign" and Mat's whole Carhien expedition, from strategizing in the battle to killing Couladin.

EDIT - Holy crap, how did I not notice this before. I mean, we know Mazrim Taim is a darkfriend since he used the phrase "Let the Lord of Chaos Rule," but I never put that together with him holding off the madness for 15 years until just now.

Also, up until Moridin shows up I always had an impression of Demandred as a giant badass. He could do things no other Forsaken could do, like block closing gateways, and he's the only one we still don't know the identity of, and Lews Therin has a pretty strong hankering after him and Ishamael when he first appears in Rand's head. But in books 10 and 11, if I recall, they mildly neuter him.
    Last edited by T-6005; 10-08-2009 at 12:07 AM.

Quick question. How do you get motivated to start reading the whole fucking series again? Seriously. I want to but I can't seem to do it.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Quick question. How do you get motivated to start reading the whole fucking series again? Seriously. I want to but I can't seem to do it.
    Oh, it's totally easy. Start halfway through book 2, read to the end and then skip to halfway through book 3. The Shadow Rising is the first fully grippable book. I've read literally the entire way through and most of the first 3 books is predictable fantasy (Dai Shan, Diademed Battle Lord of the Malkieri... seriously?).

Also, the first of the 3 (hopefully) last books comes out late this month. Maybe by the time you're done it'll be in paperback.

This month? Sweet. Well that's some motivation right there.

So skipping book one is ok in your opinion? Because I think a lot of my dismay comes from the prospect of reading that one again. I almost couldn't get beyond it the first time.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    This month? Sweet. Well that's some motivation right there.

So skipping book one is ok in your opinion? Because I think a lot of my dismay comes from the prospect of reading that one again. I almost couldn't get beyond it the first time.
    Yeah, one of my favorite aspects of the Wheel of Time is that they lose a lot of the mysticism that plagues most Fantasy novels in books three and four. And especially if you've read them before they really aren't that important since you know who Rand is and what Perrin can do and about Mat's dagger and the Horn of Valere.

To be honest, the first time I ever read the Wheel of Time I started with the Dragon Reborn. If I'd started with either The Great Hunt or The Eye of the World I might never have picked up the next one.