Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Memory of Light to be split into three books.

Well as mentioned in the beginning of this thread, even in book 1 Jordan references or hints at things that become big deals later on. So that's kinda neat. But yeah you gotta trudge through it. Especially book one as I've also read it the most I guess. Or remember it the most.

I think it is worth it to read the entire series over again though.

Also I finished book 4 but haven't started book 5 yet.

Book 4 was great though. And I realized that thing about Galad and Rand halfway through book 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Just finished book 5, it was pretty good. It sets up a lot of my favorite plot twists, Moiraine dying (which we can finally read about now in the new book), the Aes Sedai from the White Tower coming to Rand (I love the end of Book 6, so gripping!), etc. I can't wait to go on.

I have The Gathering Storm though, got it a week ago in the mail. My parents ordered it as a birthday gift, I was rather surprised that it arrived because as far as I knew it wasn't out yet.

I read Brandon Sanderson's foreward, and was encouraged when he said that we should imagine it more as a sequel with a new director, he tried to stay true to the characters etc.

Flipping through it though, you could see that it was differently formatted than the Jordan books. I don't think I will be disappointed though.

I'm halfway through Book 9. I think it might be one of my favorites because the female characters are finally toned down. Egwene in particular is insufferable until she becomes Amyrlin. And of course there's the whole Mat in Ebou Dar storyline still going.

I have a coupon for 25% off the book though, which is nice. I don't know if it's out yet but I know I'm still going to finish Crossroads of Twilight and Knife of Dreams before I start it.
    Last edited by T-6005; 10-27-2009 at 08:41 PM.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Well check to see how long the coupon is valid of course.

Yeah Egwene is getting particularly annoying in book 5, but you know it will be tempered when the Wise Ones find out all the stuff she's done. I would imagine understanding ji'e'toh is the major point of growth for her, which I guess is why she had to be annoying in the first place.*

Nynaeve I don't think I ever really appreciated as much as I do know after this reading. She's flat out the most hypocritical (but perhaps human) character in the story, these most fun to read, the most stubborn, the most loyal, person. I love it.

I also like how book 6 starts out with Demandred's point of view.

I am not looking forward to book 10 or 11, whichever one happens within the span of a day. Omg.

*notice how I put ji'e'toh in itallics?

I might have done the same. Some words you just feel need to be in italics because he wrote them like that - like ashandarei.

Personally, I find Demandred criminally underused for several reasons. Apparently Sammael doesn't hate Lews Therin nearly as much as Demandred. Second, Asmodean mentions that Demandred was the only person he'd ever known who could block a closing gateway - somehow the fact that he's the one to say it is cool. Then in book 9 Moridin mentions that Osan'gar and Demandred were supposed to keep an eye on Rand - we know that Osan'gar was Corlan Dashiva, but who's Demandred? He's still got his secret identity going, whereas almost everyone else's has been compromised to some extent.

Ishamael became Moridin.
    Moghedien and Cyndane, who is Lanfear I think, are Moridin's pets, essentially.
    Asmodean is dead.
    Be'lal is dead.
    Rahvin is dead.
    Sammael is dead.
    Balthamel/Aran'gar is Halima, Egwene's friend.
    Aginor/Osan'gar was killed at the cleansing of saidin.
    Graendal is in Arad Doman somewhere as Lady Basene, I think.
    Semirhage was Tuon's True Voice of the Blood, but Rand captured her.
    Mesaana is in the White Tower - I actually wonder who Mesaana is. From what we've seen it's possible to hide your ability to channel, but is it actually possible to have weaves that make it seem like you channel less? Because if it isn't, then Mesaana can't be one of the sisters, since someone would have noticed how insanely strong she is, so she must be someone who can't channel in the Tower. Though it doesn't make much sense if she isn't someone who can channel since that mostly leaves servants.

Demandred remains the only one we know nothing about, and for the first few books I pretty much saw him as a badass from the few things you know about him - but now that Moridin's back and has that whole True Power business he's become rather less impressive.
    Last edited by T-6005; 10-27-2009 at 11:15 PM.

If you haven't read this before, you should check it out.
    http://library.tarvalon.net/index.ph...at_Shayol_Ghul

A very short story for Robert Jordan about... well the title gives it away.

Rahvin to me was completely unsatisfying as a villain, similar to Sammael. You just don't hate them enough to really care yet, although its nice they are out of the way.

I actually really enjoyed it whenever Lanfear came along and then Lews Therin just seemed to be uncontrollable. I loved hearing about Mierin and I desperately want to know more.

And Asmodean has an unfortunate end, I would very much like to know who killed him. He actually was very interesting to see up close and personal, it would've been nice if he elaborated more on the age of legends, same with Moghedien in book six (haven't got far yet, but I assume we don't know much) and the same with Birgitte for that matter, although I recall she begins to lose her earlier memories.

Asmodean actually was really good because you could tell he just didn't care about people in a Patrick Bateman sort of way. Just himself. I could've used more Asmodean.

Also I do believe its hinted at, at some point, that one of the forsaken is a servant in the one tower, perhaps from Alviarin's point of view. Its entirely possible since Moghedien apparently was a very succesful servant while spying on Liandrin. Should she get punished she would just use a bit of compulsion, etc.

I look forward to book 6, I hope Nynaeve cures Siuan & co in this book, I love that. Book 6 and 8 have some of the better cliffhangers, along with book 11. That may be why 9 has such a strong start.

Except I don't think book 6 ends in a cliffhanger, its just interesting.

Still haven't picked up the newest book since I haven't started Knife of Dreams, but I thought this was significant, somehow.

Siuan is Egwene's (and our) most significant source of information concerning the hidden history of the White Tower, and the things that are Sealed to the Flame and so limited only to the Keeper and the Amyrlin. When Alviarin (Black Ajah) comes back to the White Tower from Tremalking after the cleansing of saidin (when all the Sea Folk Islanders, I forget what they're called, are dying) she mentions that she's coming out of the Ninth Repository of the Library, of which there are twelve official ones and one unofficial, the Thirteenth Repository. She also mentions that the three sisters she meets in the Library are from the Sea Folk, and are Brown Ajah and directly in charge of the Thirteenth Repository. I wonder, does that mean that the Sea Folk are directly aware of the White Tower's secret histories? That would make them the second official source aside from Siuan and Leane - although it seems unlikely that even Brown sister would be allowed to know the secret histories if they are supposed to be secret, otherwise the Brown Ajah as a whole would absolutely know of them.

Heh I wouldn't know. I just finished book 6 and picked up on what you are talking about with Luc earlier. Although I don't know if he's merged with Isam, I suppose that hasn't been hinted to much as of yet.

Again I love the end of book 6. Working with Lews Therin to get out of that box, I used to find Lews Therin annoying but he's getting more and more entertaining. I'm also a sucker for Rand around women though, so Min entering is fun. Although here starts the Perrin/Faile quarrel, which seemingly lasted forever, I consider it the start of her being kidnapped, a plot that I've mentioned was dragged on for too many books.

I'm looking forward to book 7, Nynaeve breaking her block and finding Lan, Rand killing Sammael and taking Illian. More looking forward to book 8 the cleansing of Saidin, and book 9 is where I feel I get to the books that I don't know so well.

I just finished the new book, and I'm actually quite impressed with Brandon Sanderson. If you're reading this Per, know that there are no spoilers below except for one tiny one that is mentioned in advance. It's pretty much safe.

It's not that his writing is particularly great or that he mimics Robert Jordan exactly or anything like that. It's just that at the beginning of this thread we were talking about whether the extension from one book into three was deliberate and meant to stretch out the series artificially.

After reading this book and getting a feel for how Sanderson was going to handle the Wheel of Time, I actually believe that the length isn't exaggerated - Sanderson works diligently to bring important plot points into a satisfying resolution and actually manages to take the sprawling, complex almost-mess Jordan left and bring the story back to a point where you see it as manageable. At the same time he does his best to answer niggling questions that have plagued fans since pretty much the second book, and personally I really appreciate it.

Even in such a long book he couldn't give enough time to each character to suit me - and, as usual, Rand gets far too much attention - but I like the way he's changed the narrative. Instead of long, multiple-chapter sequences focusing on a single character he keeps the action moving, never allowing the action to get too bogged down on a single character.

Hardly a spoiler at all, but I'll warn your just in case since I was talking about Demandred earlier - POSSIBLE TINY INSIGNIFICANT SPOILER - At the beginning of the book in the prologue my favorite Forsaken, Demandred, finally gets his due in a small way. Graendal is at a meeting with Moridin, Mesaana and Demandred after the events at the end of Knife of Dreams (namely us finding out who Anath really is) and Graendal is totally pissed at not knowing who Demandred is masquerading as. She actually says that she would trade all of her information on Semirhage, Moridin, Mogedien and Mesaana for even a hint of where he was. She also says that if it weren't for Lews Therin, Demandred very likely would have been the Dragon himself. This is the spoiler part, by the way - when Moridin asks him if he'll be ready, Demandred says "My rule is secure, we gather for war. We will be ready." So I'm trying to figure out who he is. I'm assuming he must be under the people who work for Rand, since he was supposed to "Keep an eye on him" in earlier books. With Robert Jordan flat out denying that Mazrim Taim is Demandred - which would have been my number one guess - we're left with either his existence as a male channeler who is near in power to Rand or one who can't channel. Since Logain is the only one who is near in power that we know of, he seems the most likely suspect, and he does have Min's viewing of glory and power to come, perhaps above all men, but it seems unlikely that he could really have worked so hard for Rand if he was really Demandred. Not to mention that Logain was the one to actually capture Semirhage at the end of Knife of dreams.

Continuing on from that - I just needed another paragraph.

Failing him being Logain, Demandred can't be an Asha'man. When he says his rule is secure, it leads me to assume that he must be one either one of the Stewards for the Dragon Reborn in Carhien, Tear or Illian (though two of those previously had a Forsaken in power, Be'lal in Tear and Sammael in Illian). Which leaves Demandred actually being the Steward in Carhien, Dobraine Taborwin. Although I hardly think Dobraine would have allowed himself to almost die - he was stabbed pretty badly and needed Healing. Same goes for Darlin - he fought Mat at one point without using the Power during the Aiel attack on the Stone, so it seems likely he isn't Demandred. I think it's unlikely he could be a Borderland ruler, as well, since they've all run down south to see Rand and their rules are all far from secure at this point.

So here's my guess - Demandred is King Roedran of Murandy. We don't hear much of him until he hires Talmanes and the Band, and apparently uses that well enough to semi-unify Murandy. Also, Talmanes mentions in Knife of Dreams that King Roedran has two copies of the general's book that Mat is always quoting (Fog and Steel by Comadrin I think.).
    Last edited by T-6005; 11-12-2009 at 07:44 PM.

I've decided to skip your spoiler section because well it'll be funner to read it when I know what you're talking about.

I just finished book 7 and I think its underappreciated. Rand doesn't seem nearly as moody as I remember which I suppose comes later on. Although it isn't great either, it's still not bad. I always loved that fog scene with the rebels, and then when Flinn heals Rand and that one Aes Sedai (Sumeko?) practically leaps all over him for more info on healing.

I also love how the viewpoints change a lot more often. So even in the scenes where Rand is the focus we get them from Min's point of view, which is much less trying than Rand's brooding.

It's also has a start to a great story line and a horrible story line. I don't want to complain about the Perrin/Faile thing again, but yeah they've just started heading towards Ghealdan. However Mat in Ebou Dar with Tylin is just fantastic to read. I love it. And I'm very much looking forward to that whole thing on the farm with the bowl of winds.

The end though Rand meets a man in Shadar Logoth who can channel but cannot be sensed, so either he's using the "true power" as the Forsaken call it, or perhaps he was using Saidar and Rand just didn't pick up on the goosebumps (seems unlikely though.)

And I think you are right about Moridin being Ishamael. The beginning of book 8 has a few pages from his viewpoint where it seems knowledge and the quest for it is his motivation, which is in line with Ishamael the philosopher of the previous age.

I also found it interesting that Min viewed Moiraine as being crucial to winning the last battle. Of course none of the readers at this point when the book came out knew about the tower of ghenjeii.

Anyways I'm glad you liked the new book, I look forward to reading it. A guy I talked to let slip that the story line of Mat going after Moiraine goes nowhere in this book, which is a huge disappointment for me. Oh well. Also a little bummed that there is no Mat in book 8. I already know this but still that sucks.

I've pretty much stopped watching movies at this point in the series, I find it too captivating. Any other things you want to add on Sanderson's writing style? I've been reading his reviews of the books as I read them and while they aren't meant to be insightful, I do find them that way nonetheless.

Also I think you'll enjoy this:
    Wheel of Time lolcats:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...d=230802300561