Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Memory of Light to be split into three books.

Haha, the Wheel of Time lolcats are awesome. I especially like the Asmodean one. "You? No!"
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Almost finished with book 10. We get a brief description of Mesaana sans disguise, and Alviarin remembers her face as vaguely familiar, I would imagine that this is because Mesaana uses the one power to add the ageless quality to her face.

I noticed that too about the Brown sisters guarding the 13th repository, although with Aes Sedai it would be rather easy to make them keep secrets, a simple promise for example.

Book 10 is not nearly as bad as I remember, I think it was likely a disappointment because we had to wait for it so long. It is actually quite nice to get a peripheral view of the events. The only parts that seem to drag are the Perrin/Faile/Shaido bits and the siege of Caemlyn bits. Of course those parts go on for at least a hundred pages, but once you are done its a bit better.

I also like how in book 10 earlier on we see Alviarin's return from the point of Elaida's view, and then later on from the point of Alviarin.

The viewpoints of people from the Black Ajah/darkfriends and the forsaken still remain the more interesting narratives to read from.

I am really looking forward to the resolution of the situation with Egwene and Halima/Osan'gar.

I'm toying with the idea from what I've read with interviews that WoT takes place in a previous history of our world, and I'm hoping that the resolution won't involve Rand destroying the one power and thus somehow destroying the Dark One, that'd be lame and too predictable. Besides the Matrix sort of did that already.

Now to finish book 10 and actually get the story moving. I'm looking forward to reading the prequel book as I've been paying more attention to who knew who 20 years ago, etc. So that should be more interesting this time around.

It's gotten to a point where I'm having a difficult time remembering who did what recently, that was important. The difficulty lies in that there is so much, and the index at the book is useless whenever I need it.

You were right about Vandene/Adeleas, and it looks obvious which person is the darkfriend of the suspected 3, unfortunately that's one I already forgot the name of. I think it was Merilille, but it was someone who had snuck into Caemlyn, although that might have more to do with her escape from the Sea Folk with the young apprentice.

Also I was wrong about the climax of book 8, it was actually the climax of book 9 that I was looking forward to. I've made that mistake before in previous re-readings, but its still disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Would anyone recommend getting into this series despite its questionable ending?

There hasn't been an ending yet...

And definitely, I find it the most re-readable series of books I've ever read. Definitely worth the investment of time. But you have to avoid spoilers.

Shit I've met so many people reading them on the tram, it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Would anyone recommend getting into this series despite its questionable ending?
    I recommended this series to people even when I thought it was never going to get an ending. It's that enjoyable.

So, Richard and Per. Just in case you're interested, I've gotten really into a new fantasy series. Not quite as much, obviously, but I hardly ever get sucked into series like this, so it's pretty significant.

I'm talking about the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Essentially they're a set of books detailing the history of the Malazan Empire, and it's pretty awesome - I'm on the seventh book now, and though the first book was hard to get into until about 3/4 of the way (a la Eye of the World) you soon get used to the fact that it's Steven Erikson's style to bring disparate elements into some pretty epic confrontations at the end. The books are written in a pretty bleak style but I still absolutely recommend them for people who like the Wheel of Time. Which is you two.

Coincidentally I finished The Gathering Storm last night. I thought it was excellent. I only noticed the jarring differences in the first few chapters, the rest seemed to fit more or less seamlessly. I felt like he used the wrong words for different peoples narratives, but that was a small thing.

That thing with Verin was pretty cool.

Anyways I'll check out that book series you mentioned. Right now I want to finish some Michael Crichton books, then read the Mistborn trilogy, and then read A Game of Thrones. It comes highly endorsed from Richard.

A Games of Thrones and George RR Martin's books are pretty good. I don't know if I'd read them more than once, though.

Mistborn's pretty fantastic for the first two books, but I really disliked the ending of the third book - it felt like kind of a copout to me. Still, the first two are worth it.

A Games of Thrones and George RR Martin's books are pretty good. I don't know if I'd read them more than once, though.
    I've read the Song of Ice and Fire series three times I think. I love it. Once I finish Wheel of Time I'm going back to read that again.

So, Wheel of Time. I finally got going. I'm getting towards the end of the second book now. I read at work whenever I have time and in doing so I have discovered two other employees reading the same series. I think they both said they had read the first two or three books when they first came out and only now got around to starting up again. And they both happen to be reading the second book at the moment, just like me. The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, I suppose.

Eye of the World was waaaay better than I remembered. It must help knowing what is to come and already liking the characters. I started to think I judged it too harshly the first time, but I'm fairly certain now I just liked it so much this time because I already am familiar with how it all progresses. It was actually really enjoyable revisiting all the characters when they had no power or knowledge of who or what they are and all that. I had expected it to be boring but that was not the case at all.

There were a few surprises. I had not remembered that Mat started speaking in the Old Tongue in book one. Things like that. Great foreshadowing that would be nearly impossible to notice until you read the whole thing a second time. And events which had originally seemed to be fairly questionable deus ex machina the first time now were clearly unconcious manifestations of the Power. Moiraine commented on Bela not needing Healing, but the explosion when Rand and Mat were trapped in the inn with the barred windows was a much more obvious example and never actually stated in the book. But it was obvious to me this time, of course.

I should have written this much sooner because I've already forgotten most of what I wanted to comment on from book one.

Oh, I really like Nynaeve this time. She annoyed me quite a bit originally. Not sure why I feel differently now. Her romantic involvement still feels like it comes out of nowhere, but I'm ok with it. Nynaeve and Lan are both private people who try to avoid showing what they are feeling, except anger in Nynaeve's case of course. And we never had much narrative written from their perspective in which we could have gotten hints, but having said that everything from Nynaeve's perspective did involve trying to impress/compete with Lan. So anyway, I quite liked how suddenly there's this romantic angle but it's not that sudden when you really think about it.

Mins viewings are much more enjoyable when you have the benefit of knowing what they mean.

Apparently I had completely forgotten that Rand looks like an Aielman. Odd.

Moving on to book two. I did not remember the Seanchan showing up so quickly. They might have even been alluded to in book one, I've already forgotten again. I still find the Seanchan less interesting than most other subplots, but again better than I remembered. I thought Domon meeting Egeanin came much later. Huh.

Thom is back already? I could have sworn that was dragged out longer. Not a complaint though. I love Thom.

Mat is more annoying than I remember. I did remember that Mat doesn't become awesome until much later in the series, but I didn't remember him being so annoying at first. But I suppose it makes sense. He was the least mature of the three to begin with, and then Perrin and Rand matured quickly with the manifestation of their respective gifts. And all Mat has got so far is basically a horrible disease.

Right now Rand is the most enjoyable character. I remember that shifts to Perrin and then finally Mat. I'll be interested to see if I feel the same way this time and exactly where the shifts take place.

I'm enjoying the series as much this time as I did the first time. I've forgotten so much, but what I do remember heightens the enjoyment.

Enough rambling for now. I'm not even going to bother checking for errors so please forgive any spelling mistakes.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Who the fuck did kill Asmodean? Jordan apparently claimed there were enough clues to figure it out in the very book in which it happened. Fuck him, I'm glad he died. Has to be one of the Chosen, right? Who else could have basically just paralyzed him with fear? Or Shadar Haran, but he was not introduced yet and so Jordan's assertion regarding clues would not hold up. I like the theory that it was one (or both) of the two servants in the hallway when Rand is going after Rahvin. That holds up pretty well. A Forsaken using Illusion. But I'm not quite so convinced any of them would have the balls to get that close to the action. What with balefire flying around. And if there was another Forsaken there why not just blast Rand in the back? The Great Lord had not ordered Rand to be left alone at this point. But ok, it still seems like it must be a Forsaken who killed Asmodean. But if they used the Power, someone should have sensed it being used, shouldn't they? Rand and Aviendha were both very close. If the Power wasn't used, why was he not able to put up any apparent resistance? I suppose the True Source could have been used, or whatever the Dark One's power is called. Most Forsaken seem to dislike using that though. And Moridin had not been introduced yet. Who the fuck did it?

I'm 200 pages into Lord of Chaos now. Amusingly I've bought this book at least three times now. The reasons are boring so just make something up if you want to know.

Book three was as much of an improvement over book 2 as book 2 was over book 1. If I remember correctly now. Good stuff. Everyone heading to Tear and all that. Rand really starting to become the Dragon Reborn.

Book 4 is simply awesome. I can't say if it's one of the best because I don't remember the others well enough, and by the time I read the others again I will have forgotten why I loved book 4 so much. But I'm going to say it almost has to be one of the best. The Aiel backstory. The Two Rivers battle. The beginning of Matt becoming awesome. The breaking of the White Tower. Asmodean. Excellent.

Book 5. Matt. Battles. Awesomeness. The entire last three chapters or so of pure distilled awesomeness. The ending possibly equals or surpasses even the best bits of book 4. Maybe. But overall, not as great as book 4. First time in the series that a book is not clearly better than the one before it. But it's just because book 4 was so damn good and not a criticism of book 5.

I prefer referring to the books by numbers instead of names. The names kinda suck.

So I noticed something. The writing style of the books seems to increase in maturity with each subsequent book, as well as the content. I have complained at times that the early books were too childish. I thought perhaps Jordan just hadn't really decided at first what he wanted his style to be. But I get it now. The style of writing, every aspect of the narrative, matures as the characters mature. Book one is childish because the protagonists are barely more than children. The literary style grows with them. This isn't something to criticize at all. This is genius. This isn't a failure to plan ahead. This is the ultimate example of masterfully planning ahead. I am awed.

So glad I'm reading them all again.

I'm also following along the chapter summaries here in order to catch loads of things I might otherwise miss. Every few chapters I consult the guide. A guy at work who started reading them at exactly the same time as me is now an entire book ahead of me. He speculated my obsessive guide-reading might be to blame. I told him I just have more sex. But it's probably actually the guide. Totally worth it.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks