Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Why other bands usually mention The Offspring in a bad manner?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Portugal (Aveiro/Lisbon)
    Posts
    5,870


    Default Why other bands usually mention The Offspring in a bad manner?

    If you notice, a lot of bands mention that THE OFFSPRING are well known but they have no quality...

    The newest example:
    http://detroit.metromix.com/music/ar...382762/content

    Why do You think that happens?
    I am not another The Offspring fan but just THE Offspring FAN !

    Dexter Holland - "Which one of you goes by the screen name of RonWelty?"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    11,408


    Default

    If you were a betting man, which of your bands do you think will achieve mainstream success?
    None of them. I don’t even know what “mainstream success” means anymore. You could be the Offspring, and still be horrible. Whoever decides which bands will be popular and which bands will toil in obscurity is beyond my understanding.




    we decide man, WE decide!




    one word for u RonWelty: jealousy
    Quote Originally Posted by Free? View Post
    Offspring playing for Free? That would be awesome!
    The Portuguese Chapter:
    Site/Forum/Wiki: www.offspringportugal.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,168


    Default

    I think it is because of Pretty Fly and Original Prankster and some other singles. With these songs, the Offspring have been categorized as "not real punk".
    That's basically all I heard about the Offspring in 10 years... but people never listened to what happened next, maybe because of a lack of advertising.

    I was with a friend who always says the "Offspring is nothing since Americana" the other day when my computer randomly played The Noose.

    He was surprised and said "I don't know this Offspring song"... and he really liked it ... He started listening to the Offspring again...

    So I'd say, I don't think we should really care about this kind of commentaries. If they think Offspring is horrible, they probably didn't listen to all the songs like we did but maybe just the singles.
    And yes, if I only listened to the singles, I might still be thinking that The Offspring is not such a great band (excpetion with Hammerhead, which is great) which by the way, I was thinking untill 8 months ago...
    ___________________________________________

    All the Beautiful Things you do

    Respect my authoritah !

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    It doesn't sound like he was necessarily smacking on the Offspring; I think he was just saying, you could be as popular as the Offspring and still not be great, so talent isn't necessarily a factor in becoming popular.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    4,425


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonWelty View Post
    If you notice, a lot of bands mention that THE OFFSPRING are well known but they have no quality...

    The newest example:
    http://detroit.metromix.com/music/ar...382762/content

    Why do You think that happens?
    Did you take a good look at those guys...

    Why do you think?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    11,408


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    It doesn't sound like he was necessarily smacking on the Offspring; I think he was just saying, you could be as popular as the Offspring and still not be great, so talent isn't necessarily a factor in becoming popular.
    tho he could have used another example....lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Free? View Post
    Offspring playing for Free? That would be awesome!
    The Portuguese Chapter:
    Site/Forum/Wiki: www.offspringportugal.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    3,758


    Default

    What Tim said.
    Or...
    If you were a betting man, which of your bands do you think will achieve mainstream success?

    None of them. I don’t even know what “mainstream success” means anymore. You could be the Offspring, and still be horrible. Whoever decides which bands will be popular and which bands will toil in obscurity is beyond my understanding.
    Waysssss to miss a point.


    He referred to The Offspring as something very good, and even then to have horrible mainstream success. Even though this is not entirely true (like at all) or it was even more of an example than an actual fact, he didn't belittle our favorite band.

    Also, why EVERY band gets criticized by other bands? Offspring is no different at all, happens to everyone.

    Or...
    Maybe, he actually did say that Offspring is horrible and still popular... I'm not sure anymore.
    Last edited by Free?; 08-10-2009 at 04:28 AM. Reason: there were many of edits
    Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    327


    Default

    The Offspring wrote some songs especially to please the fans, like Original Prankster (after the success of Pretty Fly) for example. While these are still pretty good songs, this is not reputable in any music scene I think. I don't say they wrote pop songs to cash in but at least to keep their fans happy and like themselves when they started younger bands now tend to judge about this way of songwriting or behaviour.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bratislava, Slovakia
    Posts
    5,832


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxygene View Post
    Did you take a good look at those guys...

    Why do you think?
    Hahaha, they look horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    4,425


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragnet View Post
    The Offspring wrote some songs especially to please the fans, like Original Prankster (after the success of Pretty Fly) for example. While these are still pretty good songs, this is not reputable in any music scene I think. I don't say they wrote pop songs to cash in but at least to keep their fans happy and like themselves when they started younger bands now tend to judge about this way of songwriting or behaviour.
    I think you're wrong.. I think the Offspring don't give a fuck what people think.. songs like pretty fly, wdygaj, op are super fun to play live, and they get a huge crowd reaction...

    fuck anyone who picks that apart...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •