Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offspring sound on Guitar

Default Offspring sound on Guitar

Been playin guitar for maybe 8 months, but still have a pretty cheap guitar and even cheaper amp, just get a pretty basic sound out of em.

Was wondering what Guitar and amp should be used to get a good Offspring and other rock bands.

Ive been thinking about getting an Ibanez RG.

Responses appreciated.
    Last edited by Shullski; 06-17-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Ibanez RG are good, but what really matters in the pickups and amp. Dexter uses DiMarzio pickups and Marshall amps (This is debated on because Noodles stated in an interview that they use Mesa Boogie and VHT classic lead, but people have also seen Marshall amps used at live shows. http://gc.guitarcenter.com/interview/noodles/)

As for Noodles custom guitar, the pickups are called INFINITY pickups (I don't know much about them) and he uses them on all spots (neck, middle, and bridge) in the traditional hum-sing-hum setup. Also, it has strong sustain thanks to the fixed bridge.

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/Series-ndm

dont get an ndm, i got one, and they are WAAAYYYY over priced for what they are, they arent a terrible guitar, but after playing it for a while, its just a little bit better than most entry level guitars, but 3 times the price, even when noodles was asked in person 'why are they so expensive´' he didnt really know himself.
    if u got the money, the marshall jvm amps
    and guitars, tell the saleman exactly what you want, what type of sound, but make sure u arent dealing with a shark, ask around ur neighbourhood which sales guy is the best to talk to. ibanez are ok, but cheaply produced.
    if u can get a japenese or american made guitar ur doing well.

Yeah, NDM's are way too overpriced, though the old electric Talmans were okay at price, it's a pity they don't make anymore of those. I have a GRG170DX and i must say it's really great, especially for it's price. Great sound, comfortable neck, the only thing i was worried about is the FAT-10 bridge, but turns out no matter what crazy stuff i do to it it stays in tune.
    Come to the dark side...We have cookies!

Default line 6

get a 30 or 50 watt line 6 and it has differnt fx on mine i get perfect SMASH n ignition sound

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspaceman21 View Post
    Ibanez RG are good, but what really matters in the pickups and amp. Dexter uses DiMarzio pickups and Marshall amps (This is debated on because Noodles stated in an interview that they use Mesa Boogie and VHT classic lead, but people have also seen Marshall amps used at live shows. http://gc.guitarcenter.com/interview/noodles/)
    I don't recall where I read this, but I think Dexter said they used both simultaneously or something crazy like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderPX View Post
    I don't recall where I read this, but I think Dexter said they used both simultaneously or something crazy like that.
    I'm not sure. I'm going off what other people have told me. I missed my chance to see them live, so I didn't get a chance to see their equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspaceman21 View Post
    I'm not sure. I'm going off what other people have told me. I missed my chance to see them live, so I didn't get a chance to see their equipment.
    Meh, that wouldn't have helped you out anyways. Noodles' guitars are custom made anyway.

Maybe this will help you out some.

GC: Say I'm an intermediate player, I already have the basic setup and I want to expand. What's the next thing I should get to improve my sound?

Noodles: When it comes to electric guitar, really, there are only two sounds; clean and dirty. This requires a good tube-driven amp with two channels. It's possible to get a good clean sound from a solid-state amp, but you'll never get a good distorted sound from one. You have to love the way your guitar sounds coming straight through your amp. That may mean having two guitars, one with single-coil pickups and one with humbuckers. It all depends on what kind of tone suits your ears. If you can only afford one, start with [a guitar with] humbuckers. They sound good both clean and distorted and make less noise in between notes. Once you love the straight sound of your guitar and amp, then you can mess around with effects. I love stomp boxes because they are usually pretty simple. I'll just plug them in one at a time and mess around with them until I like what I'm hearing. Once I get a couple of them dialed in, then I'll start chaining them together. I'm no expert when it comes to any of this, but for my tastes, there's no substitute for a great sounding guitar and amp. Effects are fun, they can add flavor and color to your sound, but your sound shouldn't depend on them.

Personally, I would go for the RG3620Z because the fret board is comfortable (People generally don't realize how a comfortable fret board will do wonders on your playing style) and the DiMarzio pickups are a personal favorite of mine. As for amps, I would stick with Mesa/Boogies, but there is nothing wrong with Marshall amps.

If you want the Noodles sound, however, go with the RGT42DXFM. It has the same pickups that Noodles uses in his custom (of course, you would already know that if you followed the links in my previous post)