Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iran...

Default Iran...

... surprised there isn't already a thread...
    but then again I'd probably be the most likely to create it and hadn't...

too tired/on vacation to make an update at the moment but if anyone has any questions/comments feel free to ask and I'll do my best to update anyone who's curious about whats going on and the history behind it...

i wonder how my cousin is doing :-/ (he lives in Tehran - haven't gotten a hold of him lately)

It's getting intense:

Youtube
    "There are no fools more bothersome than those with wit"

Sweet Jesus.
    Go on now they won‘t tell
    Go on now and save yourself

Iran so far away?

Flock of Seagulls lol.
    "When I'm walking a dark road, I am a man who walks... Alone."
    - Iron Maiden, "Fear Of The Dark"

From what I've read (and this is very little) the atmosphere of the youth was rather subdued just over a month ago. Its only recently that they seem to have realized that they don't actually like the Ayatollah's regime.

What do you know of this?

It always seems interesting to me that Iran's other revolution was a student one, so will this one be too? Although I think calling the Islamic revolution a 'student revolution' is a bit of an exaggeration (but then again, so is calling it an Islamic revolution, since the Ayatollah made a whole case out of being this crazy democracy loving dude beforehand).i

I always enjoy reading about people who revolt against their government because their government is revolting. Makes me want to watch V for Vendetta (again).
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Rachel Maddow is on CNBC right now discussing that Obama coming out in support of Moussavi would backfire hugely and only serve to prop up Ahmadinejad. Wise words. I saw something on Twitter saying Marjane Satrapi had documentation from the election council in Iran noting that Ahmadinejad only got 8% of the vote or something, and that this is more like a coup d'etat than election fraud.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

I bet if the winner and the loser of this presidential campaign had swaped places, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad would also claim the voting for being fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

It's times like this that I laugh at my friends who laugh at me for having Twitter.
    "There are no fools more bothersome than those with wit"

Quote Originally Posted by IamSam View Post
    It's times like this that I laugh at my friends who laugh at me for having Twitter.
    They laugh at you cause you're different, you laugh at them cause they're all the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Rachel Maddow is on CNBC right now discussing that Obama coming out in support of Moussavi would backfire hugely and only serve to prop up Ahmadinejad. Wise words. I saw something on Twitter saying Marjane Satrapi had documentation from the election council in Iran noting that Ahmadinejad only got 8% of the vote or something, and that this is more like a coup d'etat than election fraud.
    Yeah I saw both of those, the coup d'etat information seems to be spreading more, it seems Mousavi won the election by a lot more... which is funny because in terms of changing things, he wouldn't have been that different, but now that things are on the move here I imagine Iran will change a bit.

Obama's words the other day were pure gold and makes me love having him as a president so much more, getting involved now would be a huge mistake as hard as it is to just sit back and watch... (read up on 1953 Iran Coup if anyone wants to know why)

[QUOTE=wheelchairman;1317489]From what I've read (and this is very little) the atmosphere of the youth was rather subdued just over a month ago. Its only recently that they seem to have realized that they don't actually like the Ayatollah's regime.

What do you know of this?
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post

So, in 1999 the students also had a bit of an uprising in terms of the government but it didn't really get backed and shut down. It was assume that sooner or later something would happen, though the country became more conservative after Bush's axis of evil speech. That being said yes it is amazing how quickly this came. I think on the surface people were hoping they could avoid fights and slowly reform the government (ie move from Ahmadinejad the super conservative to Mousavi who is moderately conservative and hopefully continue to over time move over from there).

That, I think, is why this election opened up the way it did. I think Khamenei and Ahmadinejad saw an opportunity to re-elect with a mandate behind a seemingly open election to further pull their weight against the US and it backfired. People saw and opening and took off running with it and they panicked.

I think there were many that were quietly waiting for an excuse. Thus, I don't think its as big a shock that it exploded the way it did when the results came in. And from the support being seen in the streets I tend to believe that the election was fixed and this was, in fact a coup d'etat but at this point I don't think the election matters any more, there are many that found their excuse and are moving on.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    It always seems interesting to me that Iran's other revolution was a student one, so will this one be too? Although I think calling the Islamic revolution a 'student revolution' is a bit of an exaggeration (but then again, so is calling it an Islamic revolution, since the Ayatollah made a whole case out of being this crazy democracy loving dude beforehand).i

I always enjoy reading about people who revolt against their government because their government is revolting. Makes me want to watch V for Vendetta (again).
    Agreed with the Islamic revolution, it seems the students in Iran often start the movements and the key is if the general population backs them or not. It is amusing, having gone to Berkeley and hearing people tout on and on about what kind of an amazing school that is with its involvement in all its political movements and I can't help but think University of Tehran is above and beyond the center of political movements more than any school I can think of. In any case, I hope it helps this time, and moves them to a more democratic system (though i'd still be surprised if there was a complete overhaul of the system at this point - hopefully it'll just be an impetus for change that moves the country on further).

Also agreed on the people point, its always a feel good story (if it can be called that) when people fight for what they believe in and are able to be successful, especially against those more powerful and oppressive.

And V for Vendetta is an excellent movie!

anywho if you feel like being disturbed, go to twitter, and just look at some of the photos and videos coming out, some of it is pretty graphic ...