Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennywise has lost their singer

Quote Originally Posted by Szandi View Post
    I understand.
    But Jim left the Pennywise before first europe tour 'cause He didn't want to left his job and Jason sang. after Jim came back.
    So i hope he's coming back.
    Yeah, me too. They really wouldn't be the same without Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor88 View Post
    Yeah, that is the problem... and he wrote the lyrics...

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor88 View Post
    Never. If Jim intends to leave, Fletcher, Randy and Byron should have just disbanded Pennywise for good, rather than using that name without him.

I hate how much weight singers get to carry in a band. Jim may have written the lyrics, but he didn't write the songs by himself. Pennywise can go on writing songs just like before but with a different person singing the words. There are only a few bands I know of that I feel like the singer really has enough weight that the band wouldn't be the same without them... Pennywise is DEFINITELY not one of those bands to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Whatever. I enjoy Pennywise from time to time, but since every song sounds almost exactly the same, I don't see what the big deal is.

Do you wonder what they might have sounded like had he stayed? Easy, just listen to everything they've already done.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Well, in my opinion they can still use the name Pennywise, it's their choice to do so (Iron Maiden didn't change their name either when Dickinson left, and this is just one of the cases when lead singer left the band). It won't be the same, BUT i think we still have to wait and see how they'll do with a new singer. Although i still hope Jim would come back, i'll accept whatever they choose to do, and i'll wait until i hear them with a new singer to judge properly.

I'm surprisingly bummed out by this news. They've hardly been my favorite band, but i like a good number of their records; Reason To Believe was a definite step up for them as well (a good album to call it quits on). Also, i guess i was at one of their last shows with Jim.

I have mixed feelings about them continuing under the Pennywise name, without Jim. They may still be able to write similar songs, but i think it would be better to get a fresh start. Close the Pennywise book for now, and if the band as a whole, at a later point want to reopen it, then so be it.
    Last edited by jacknife737; 08-22-2009 at 08:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    I hate how much weight singers get to carry in a band. Jim may have written the lyrics, but he didn't write the songs by himself. Pennywise can go on writing songs just like before but with a different person singing the words. There are only a few bands I know of that I feel like the singer really has enough weight that the band wouldn't be the same without them... Pennywise is DEFINITELY not one of those bands to me.
    I will like if Dave Quackenbush are singing...hehe
    just because He sang: Come out fighting. and I think that is very good.
    so I hope They will find a very good singer...

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    i think there is more to them, im pretty sure at some point ive heard references to fletcher and randy wriiting songs and i know jim play instruments as well so he wasnt really just the singer writing lyrics!
    whenever i learn something new it pushes some old knowledge out of my brain, remember that home wine making course when i forgot how to drive?!

This is probably the best thing that could've happened to Pennywise. They've absolutely run their sound into the ground, maybe with a new singer they can move forward creatively after god knows how many years of making the same song time after time.
    I'm the chairman of the bored.