Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a Twixter?

Default Are you a Twixter?

Yes, it's a terrible expression, but all the other terms for it are even worst. I find that, nonetheless, it's a rather accurate description of my generation. Or perhaps just me. Read about the "twixters" here. What are your thoughts?
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

I can pretty much relate to it. And I'll be one until I decide to calm down and settle which probably won't be sooner than 28.

I have too many twixter friends. I tell them to stop being fucking gay and take charge of their life but they much rather live at their parents basement, work a cullmulative total of 150 hours per annum (if that) to satisify their materialistic needs, and study for a career they haven't yet decided upon. They're not bad people mind you. They just don't see a purpose to move to the next level.

Lightbulb

Somehow, I don't think I am (or will be) a twixter. I've already left my tiny parents, and I can't have Ken's parents supporting me, so, after uni, off goes Iza to get a job. Or maybe after masters, but that's it.

My mommy raised me to be responsible and self-sufficient. That wasn't a nice thing to do. Now I can't even slack off.

And I don't know many twixters, but then again, maybe my generation is too young for that right now... We've only just started uni...
    #N/A

I do want independence. But I don't wanna get all serious about life.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by the_GoDdEsS
    I do want independence. But I don't wanna get all serious about life.
    Apparently, I was born serious :/
    #N/A

I was born responsible. But I'm running away from seriousness as fast as I can. I don't want it to get me yet!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by the_GoDdEsS
    I was born responsible. But I'm running away from seriousness as fast as I can. I don't want it to get me yet!
    I was born both.

I suck.

Except when I act like an idiot (not that rare really). But I'm still all serious and responsible. *sigh*
    #N/A

It's about what you set your mind to. I never was 'responsible' as a kid, nor was I really mature. Then a came a moment when I told myself that I should be a man--and I became one. Didn't happen overnight of course, but gradually my definition of what kind of man I should be shaped up as did my responsibilities.

Lightbulb

I don't want to live with my parents, but I wouldn't mind living off them. I don't know what I want to be and a career and wife seem far off into the future. Ever since I was sixteen I decided that I didn't want to get married until at least my late twenties. Since roughly then I formulated a rough plan on life that was based upon decades. Your teens is when you fuck up and learn. Your twenties is when you travel and experience the world. Your thirties is when you impart your knowledge and begin to settle down (studies have shown that geniuses and criminals do their best work in their thirties). Your forties is when you raise a family, and your fifties is when you acknowledge your mortality and spend the rest of your life circumnavigating the globe and soaking up more knowledge, a process that continues until you die.

At least, I'm pretty sure that was the plan. It seems brilliant enough now, before I've launched myself into the real world.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises