Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Blink 182 thread

The Leno performance was horrible and their first public performance. Nervous much? He has been much better on tour and was quite enjoyable to listen to when I saw them in St. Paul. The homophobic overreaction to their first performance is quite laughable.
    "There are no fools more bothersome than those with wit"

Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    Come on, guys. He sounds like Bobcat Goldthwait in that video.

No, but seriously, maybe it's because y'all don't listen to the radio, but I hear this voice with multiple bands, and this just sounds like a bad impression of it. It's like that melodramatic, gaspy voice that's big nowadays. I welcome change, but this...it would be like Dexter singing with a country drawl all of a sudden.
    This. A thousand times this.

What I still honestly don't understand, though, is how anyone has ever thought Tom is a good singer. His voice live has never even come close to matching the albums, and he just really can't sing. Mark can sing... he sounds pretty much the same live as on the albums. But even that 1999 video showed Tom not sounding too good... and same goes for his guitar playing. I've watched a lot of live Blink videos, and I know a lot of people who saw them live and lost interest in them mostly due to Tom.

I mean, I don't care if people like them... I just think it's really weird and messed up when people say that Tom sounds "good" or is "talented" at singing or playing guitar ever. I feel like you'd have to be brainwashed...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    What I still honestly don't understand, though, is how anyone has ever thought Tom is a good singer. His voice live has never even come close to matching the albums, and he just really can't sing. Mark can sing... he sounds pretty much the same live as on the albums. But even that 1999 video showed Tom not sounding too good... and same goes for his guitar playing. I've watched a lot of live Blink videos, and I know a lot of people who saw them live and lost interest in them mostly due to Tom.

I mean, I don't care if people like them... I just think it's really weird and messed up when people say that Tom sounds "good" or is "talented" at singing or playing guitar ever. I feel like you'd have to be brainwashed...
    I totally agree. I cannot say Blink sucks live, because people can really ahve a good time with 'em, but they're kind of...mediocre...on stage I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    No, but seriously, maybe it's because y'all don't listen to the radio, but I hear this voice with multiple bands, and this just sounds like a bad impression of it. It's like that melodramatic, gaspy voice that's big nowadays. I welcome change, but this...it would be like Dexter singing with a country drawl all of a sudden.
    I actually find that really funny because my friends and I agree that Dexter sounds like a he's got some funky country southern drawl in places of ignition and smash.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I totally agree. I cannot say Blink sucks live, because people can really ahve a good time with 'em, but they're kind of...mediocre...on stage I mean.
    Oh yeah, these days you don't have to be musically talented in order for people to have fun at your show. Hell, I'd probably have a blast at a Britney Spears show, and she's about as far from talented as they come :P I'm not saying they don't put on a fun show and that I'd be bored at one of their shows... but yeah, their musical ability... I really don't understand people!!

I think most people are willing to admit they don't have a lot of talent (except the band themselves, haha) but what they are good at is writing songs that are just plain fun. Not to mention it's hard to find stuff that's easier to sing along to because A.) its catchy and B.) they can't really sing so you don't have to either.

That being said, I don't think that a good voice really means anything. The Voice has to fit with the music. For instance I love Leftover Crack, and his voice is fucking dreadful. But it fits. Same with Mark/Tom. In any other band Tom's voice would be unnecessarily grating and Mark's would be boring. But as long as it's blink, they're both "good" singers.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    What I still honestly don't understand, though, is how anyone has ever thought Tom is a good singer...
    He's nothing special. I just think that the way he sang previously fits him (and blink) better.

Quote Originally Posted by Apathy View Post
    I think most people are willing to admit they don't have a lot of talent (except the band themselves, haha) but what they are good at is writing songs that are just plain fun. Not to mention it's hard to find stuff that's easier to sing along to because A.) its catchy and B.) they can't really sing so you don't have to either.
    I can fully accept this. Their songs are straight up fun-catchy. But I do sometimes hear people saying that Tom is such a great singer and such a good musician... that's what I don't get.

That being said, I don't think that a good voice really means anything. The Voice has to fit with the music. For instance I love Leftover Crack, and his voice is fucking dreadful. But it fits. Same with Mark/Tom. In any other band Tom's voice would be unnecessarily grating and Mark's would be boring. But as long as it's blink, they're both "good" singers.
    I also agree with this. I like Streetlight Manifesto, and that guy's got a pretty bad voice... but he also doesn't try to make his voice sound good on the albums. I've noticed that Tom sounds normal (like he does live, I mean) on like Dude Ranch Buddha and Cheshire, but on the later albums his voice is heavily altered. And people say he's a great singer. That's what bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by RODNEYMULLEN View Post
    I love blink but tom sings like a fag now. I found this to be pretty interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVu8P...eature=related
    Holy crap didnt realise how different he is now, sounded way better singing wise but his playing sounds alright