Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Blink 182 thread

I know that my opinion won't be a surprise, but I was curious and listened to it. And wow. It's awful and I'm not hearing a difference between this and Angels and Airwaves at all, right down to Delonge's terrible, terrible attempt at profound/deep lyrics.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".

really awful song sounds like angels and airwaves

I liked it. A little disapointed that there's the AVA sound in it.... but i honestly expected it, and luckily it's not THAT much. I wasn't expecting that riff though, liked that a lot.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Reminds me a lot of their Self Titled stuff. My initial reaction was "this is pretty mediocre": i hate the intro, don't mind the vocals, and am indifferent towards the lyrics. I'll have to give it a few more listens.

Regarding the Blink-related side projects: now that Retard mentions it, i do sort of see the Fugazi influence on Boxcar Racer: and i do think they're probably the best of the side-projects, Tom managed to successfully play it straight/non-goofy without engaging in utter pretentious and trite lyrics like he did with AVA.

I think if +44 had kept their original line up, the one with that women*** on guitars/vocals it would have been a lot more interesting with female vocals contrasting Marks: it's not surprising to me, that my favorite track on the album "No, It Isn't" happens to have this contrast.
    Last edited by jacknife737; 07-15-2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Check your lease, man. Because you're living in fuck city
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

I'll pass this one. Blink were only interesting when they were still making those goofy, immature songs full of toilet humor and sexual jokes. I did like their s/t too, but not as much as their earlier material. Taking immaturity out of Blink is basically taking out the thing that made them who they were in the first place. I agree that they're now too old to be still singing about hating school and all, but there are other things to joke about. Their s/t still worked because although it was a "serious" record it still somehow sounded like them (by that i mean the overall sound, minus goofing around). But if this new song is any indicator, they've completely abandoned that. To me, it doesn't sound like Blink at all.

Oh well, i've grown out of them anyway, so this isn't that much of a blow for me. I might still check this just out of curiosity, but i doubt i'll like the album.

Side note: The autotuned voice of Tom should have been less obvious. But maybe they wanted it to sound it that way, whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

Wow. This sounds like a cross between AVA and the last Blink album, basically the two *worst* parts of these guys. Tom sounds just as wannabe-pretentious as he did with AVA, and the small bit of Mark's vocals isn't enough to counter it. The guitar riff almost makes it sound like Blink, but in the end it sounds more like their last album. Really, these guys should stick to pop-punk, even if they don't keep the stupid lyrics. I can accept and deal with the fact that these guys are incapable of writing good lyrics; Tom should also accept it. Dumb/immature lyrics are much more tolerable than horrible attempts at pretentious/deep lyrics.

I honestly was expecting more pop-punk from this... but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I don't know what Mark and Travis are thinking, reuniting with Tom and basically letting him release AVA songs under the Blink name...

edit: I especially hate the way Tom ends each line in the song with this breathy weird bit of pretension. It's so intentional, and annoying.

I also just really read the lyrics. This song is about nothing. He's trying sooooo hard... and saying squat.
    Last edited by Llamas; 07-15-2011 at 08:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Anyone who didn't think that there was going to be a slight AVA influence is just fucking naive, the AVA sound was a continuation of the untitled albums sound anyway. It's not my favorite album by them but the untitled was by far their best album they wrote, honestly i've heard a shit load of music claiming to be influenced by blink and their sound for so long and it's never come close to the sound of that album, it's a unique sound. Yea tom's voice is weird, but most rock bands have shitty voices, look at robert plant, he's gotten rich off sounding like a cat getting its balls stuck in a vice while yoko ono is using its claws to scrape a chalkboard and everyone still loves him for some reason. No it's not an amazing song by any stretch, but i'm gonna have hope that the rest is better, first singles are usually one of the lesser songs anyway.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor88 View Post
    Taking immaturity out of Blink is basically taking out the thing that made them who they were in the first place. I agree that they're now too old to be still singing about hating school and all, but there are other things to joke about.
    I'm kind of stuck on that dichotomy, too. On one hand, they're not world-class musicians/songwriters so when they attempt to be, it falls way flat for me every time. On the other hand...they're closing in on 40 so who am I to demand that they still sing about fucking dogs in 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by dff_punk View Post
    Side note: The autotuned voice of Tom should have been less obvious. But maybe they wanted it to sound it that way, whatever.
    This immediately took me out of the song. I have no problem with pitch correction whatsoever, when it's used the way it was invented. But that particular gimmick is a major dealbreaker with me. Still, I would have overlooked it if I liked the song.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    This song is about nothing. He's trying sooooo hard... and saying squat.
    This. Lyrically, musically, everything...nothing. I've been trying to describe how I feel about this song since I heard it, but I can't because I'm realizing that I feel nothing when I listen to it.

Aside from being a very poor choice for a lead single, I just didn't get any sense of energy or emotion from them (the band). I thought the riff was awesome, but the song felt like it was building for three minutes and just never went anywhere. A single like "Action" would have been great here, a whiff of old, mixed with a lot of new. A bridge between eras, sort of. I guess I'll still buy the album and see them in concert if they come anywhere close. I'm expecting a better effort from the rest of the album, though.
    Last edited by randman21; 07-15-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

I think it's a decent song. It's catchy, and pretty diverse sounding. I just can't stand how Tom Delonge sings in that one part. Like, what is he thinking?
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.