Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Blink 182 thread

I honestly don't understand why people were expecting it to sound like something from 1999. AVA, +44, BCR, etc. were all in that mix as well as the Untitled album. It's called progression. I remember quite a few people getting pissy on here at people getting angry at Offspring fans over 'wanting another ignition.'

Honestly, I don't hear a lot of AVA. I hear more BCR as a Tom influence. Yes, Tom's lyrics suck and his vowels are annoying, that's a given. To me the album is more if you squashed +44, BCR, and sprinkled some AVA on it. Don't forget that there were synths on +44's album as well.

Some of the songs are drags, and that's a given on any album. (I've only come across maybe 2 complete albums in my library that I can listen to every single song.)

I just think people had weird fucking expectations from 3 guys who haven't put a record out in years while growing more into different styles and maturing in their own ways.

I like it, and it appears on this board I'm the minority.

Winners:
    Hearts All Gone
    Natives
    Fighting the Gravity
    MH 4.18.2011
    Snake Charmer

Losers:
    This is Home
    Wishing Well
    Even if She Falls

Honorable mention:
    Kaleidoscope
    "There are no fools more bothersome than those with wit"

If this is the direction they want to take, it's fine by me. They can do whatever they want, it's their choice.

I don't hate the album, in fact I'm starting to enjoy some of the songs. But as a Blink album... Well, it's just not as fun anymore. I'm not saying they should just keep releasing Dude Ranch or Enema clones. But some fun could be retained in other ways, there are other things to joke about, not just angsty teenage humour. I don't know. Being fun is what worked for them the most, taking that away is like giving them a whole new identity, not just simply progressing, in my opinion. The Offspring have progressed yes, but doing so they have always kept their own style. As for Blink-182? Not so much. Though the change didn't surprise me, not in the slightest (not after the direction of their self-titled). I'm just giving my own opinion about it

As I said, this album works better if one disregards the fact that it's a Blink-182 album. Though some of their old sound can still be heard. Faintly.

Edit: I'm saying this as a casual fan. I've grown out of their style a long time ago. I do occasionally still listen to some of their old songs, but not nearly as much as I used to. So whatever this album sounds like, it makes pretty much no difference to me.
    Last edited by Rooster; 09-15-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IamSam View Post
    I honestly don't understand why people were expecting it to sound like something from 1999. AVA, +44, BCR, etc. were all in that mix as well as the Untitled album. It's called progression. I remember quite a few people getting pissy on here at people getting angry at Offspring fans over 'wanting another ignition.'

Honestly, I don't hear a lot of AVA. I hear more BCR as a Tom influence. Yes, Tom's lyrics suck and his vowels are annoying, that's a given. To me the album is more if you squashed +44, BCR, and sprinkled some AVA on it. Don't forget that there were synths on +44's album as well.

Some of the songs are drags, and that's a given on any album. (I've only come across maybe 2 complete albums in my library that I can listen to every single song.)
    I agree with you that there's a lot less AVA here than people are claiming. I personally think it sounds a lot like the last Blink album, which I wasn't a fan of. I was honestly surprised by the number of people here who hate this album but also (I recall) are fans of the S/T album.

Sure, there were synths in +44, but they were used in a different way. This album really doesn't remind me much at all of them. I'm giving it another listen right now, though, and I'm gonna pay more attention to Mark.

I just think people had weird fucking expectations from 3 guys who haven't put a record out in years while growing more into different styles and maturing in their own ways.
    This is by far your best point. Kinda why reunions are rarely much of a success.

Maybe my bias against Tom and mostly how he's "matured" is what's causing my dislike. Maybe if I listen with that bias dialed down a bit, I'd like it more. I wasn't looking for another Enema or Cheshire Cat... I guess I was hoping for something MORE like +44.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor88 View Post
    As I said, this album works better if one disregards the fact that it's a Blink-182 album. Though some of their old sound can still be heard. Faintly.
    Another very good point. It really doesn't sound like the same band from even 10 years ago. Listened to without expectations of Blink 182, maybe it's better.

Edit: I'm saying this as a casual fan. I've grown out of their style a long time ago. I do occasionally still listen to some of their old songs, but not nearly as much as I used to. So whatever this album sounds like, it makes pretty much no difference to me.
    I should add that it's the same for me. I listened the hell out of Enema and TOYPAJ 10 years ago... mostly outgrown them, but I listen to them now and then for fun. But I really, really enjoyed +44.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I've given it a couple of listens. It's pretty solid. I expected it to be a bit worse. At first I felt that it was a little bit inconsistent style-wise, but then I realized that's the kind of thing to expect from a band that went on hiatus to work on different stuff for 8 years. Besides, it's no less coherent than the self-titled.

Current favorites are Natives, Heart's All Gone, Wishing Well, and Kaleidoscope. But that's sure to change when I listen to it more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    If two guys loving Offspring together is wrong, I don't want anything to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    I agree with you that there's a lot less AVA here than people are claiming. I personally think it sounds a lot like the last Blink album, which I wasn't a fan of. I was honestly surprised by the number of people here who hate this album but also (I recall) are fans of the S/T album.

Sure, there were synths in +44, but they were used in a different way. This album really doesn't remind me much at all of them. I'm giving it another listen right now, though, and I'm gonna pay more attention to Mark.

This is by far your best point. Kinda why reunions are rarely much of a success.

Maybe my bias against Tom and mostly how he's "matured" is what's causing my dislike. Maybe if I listen with that bias dialed down a bit, I'd like it more. I wasn't looking for another Enema or Cheshire Cat... I guess I was hoping for something MORE like +44.
    I see a lot of anti-Tom bias happening with this album and wishing for more Mark. Mark is on a good portion of the album (has his own tracks) and has some pretty sweet harmonies in others. I have to say that what I'm a little surprised at is his bass work even compared to +44...the man plays some different things than he did even back then.

I think the hate on it from the S/T album lovers is that it's a different 'type' of dark. This seems to be more emotional and somber and not as angst ridden, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 0r4ng3 View Post
    I've given it a couple of listens. It's pretty solid. I expected it to be a bit worse. At first I felt that it was a little bit inconsistent style-wise, but then I realized that's the kind of thing to expect from a band that went on hiatus to work on different stuff for 8 years. Besides, it's no less coherent than the self-titled.

Current favorites are Natives, Heart's All Gone, Wishing Well, and Kaleidoscope. But that's sure to change when I listen to it more.
    My initial thoughts were that of horror when they let out Up All Night and After Midnight...I thought they lost it. But I'm pretty content that they have a good mix of what makes them them in the entire album.
    "There are no fools more bothersome than those with wit"

Heard the first half or so at my friends house the other night... I liked what I heard a lot. Still waiting for Next week to hear the whole thing.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

I have to admit, I gave the album a few more listens and I just don't like it. I'm not interested in bashing it or anything - it's not like it's an awful album. I actually am not able to pinpoint what it is I don't like about it... I just don't. I really don't know what my expectations were or how it fails to meet them. I guess that happens sometimes, though. I hate it when I can't explain why I dislike an album/band. Bah.

But I do love Heart's All Gone and a couple others. There is definitely potential for a future album to be a success for me.

Finally bought the "extended version" off itunes today: first impressions...

At this point i'm hesitant to call it a "good" album, but it's not a terrible one either, by any stretch. It's got a fair group of pretty solid tracks (especially Hearts All Gone, Natives) and then it's got some not so nice ones.

I got a sort of Bloc Party-esq/"dance punk" vibe from a bunch of the tracks too: some worked, some didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

This album is growing on me. I've been finding myself with a select few of the songs running through my head, and wanting to pop on the album. There are some pretty lame songs, too... but the first half of the album has shaped up to be pretty good. Still not huge on Up All Night, but it's really not that bad. After Heart's All Gone, which is the best song, the album kinda drops off, though. The best song in the latter half is Love is Dangerous - that one pops into my head now and then.

This is Home, Even if She Falls, MH 4.18.2011 - the worst songs. Not a fan.
    Last edited by Llamas; 10-01-2011 at 10:28 AM.

I read they are putting out a new EP for Christmas