Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Blink 182 thread

I don't hear any autotune in this at all, where the fuck is the autotune?

Supposedly this is the first song they wrote together once the reunited..... so who knows what the rest will sound like.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Maybe it's just Tom's voice sounding really weird at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

i think i prefer tom singing this version of up all night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHQKB1k7tnE

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Retard View Post
    I don't hear any autotune in this at all, where the fuck is the autotune?
    I'm not listening to it right now, but I think it's throughout the whole song. For sure on Tom's voice in at least the first verse, and all the choruses. I can't remember if they used it with Mark. Anyway, it's very clear to me. I heard it as soon as Tom sang the first word.
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by cool 2 hate 681 View Post
    i think i prefer tom singing this version of up all night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHQKB1k7tnE
    Hell yeah, I was humming that song ever since the first time I heard the newest one from Blink was gonna be also called "Up All Night"
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

Ok there's a difference between autotune and a weird vocal effect on someone's voice... There's no effects on tom's voice in the verses at all. And the chorus has some weird echoey effect to make him sound like he's far away, he's used that loads of times. Kinda like when Peter Frampton uses that thing to make his guitar sounds like its talking, or all the distortion on the beastie boys voices throughout their career.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Retard View Post
    Ok there's a difference between autotune and a weird vocal effect on someone's voice... There's no effects on tom's voice in the verses at all. And the chorus has some weird echoey effect to make him sound like he's far away, he's used that loads of times. Kinda like when Peter Frampton uses that thing to make his guitar sounds like its talking, or all the distortion on the beastie boys voices throughout their career.
    I thought there was some autotune. Just listen to the part right when he starts singing "Everyone wants to call it,...". It's pretty obvious, especially during the "call it" part. Or maybe his voice just sound really really reaaaaaaaaaaallllllyyyyyyy weird.

And i agree with Llamas, Tom needs to stop breathing out like that. It doesn't make him sound any deeper, just douchier. He sings like that ever since their reunion, and never fails to make me cringe. It. Just. Sounds. Terrible.

Yea right at the beginning of the verse thats just toms voice sounding weird, That doesn't sound like autotune to me. The "Auto-tune" on the song is toms chorus, but again that's not really "auto-tune" cuz he still sounds completely out of tune, that's just echoey effects.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

You can get those echo-y effects from autotune pretty easily. I definitely heard a shit ton of autotune in his vocals when i listened to it. You could hear his voice warping in and out of tune constantly throughout the song, sometimes in the middle of a word. That's one of the key signs of someone using autotune.

The thing about autotune is that is doesn't cure someone who can't carry a tune, which Tom can't do without studio trickery (see Blink's live album for examples). All it does is mask it or makes it stick out like an even larger sore thumb. That's why the autotune sticks out because you can hear it reaching to correct his voice but it doesn't work. This is what usually accounts for the robotic-type sound you get in a lot of rapper's voices. If you have someone that can hit the note without autotune, you don't notice it in the song.

I can't speak for anyone here, but it's not that I hate vocal effects by themselves. Lots of songs use modified vocals to create a cool sound that fits the atmosphere that the song is trying to create. The newest Sufjan Stevens album has a few really good examples of this. But Tom, as seen with AVA, uses autotune and other studio effects in the context of otherwise generic modern day emo music in attempt to make it sound more atmospheric than it really is. If you take this song without all of the studio effects it's incredibly bland.

As far as the maturity thing...it's not that anyone expects 40 year olds to be singing about what it's like to be stood up for prom, or fucking a dog in the ass. But at the same time Tom's obsession with making "PROFOUND STATEMENTS" that are essentially just really shitty meaningless phrases is what kills it. There's ways to make mature music without saying things that are that stupid. There's also ways to make immature music without sounding like children. The band has plenty of options that could be better than the route that they're going in. The big issue seems to be that the band, like a lot of mainstream rock bands these days, thinks that maturity has to be tied to BIG PROFOUND STATEMENTS and epic sounding music when it doesn't need to be. Lots of pretty simple punk bands (The Thermals, Ted Leo, etc) have done an excellent job at transitioning from bratty pop-punk to more mature music without ripping off U2 or Bad Astronaut or constantly making asses out of themselves like Blink does.

And I want to say real quickly that I do think these dudes have it in them to make a good album. A few songs on the self-titled album have some good ideas under the overproduction, and they've proven that they can write catchy music when they want to.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".

The autotune thing doesn't bother me personally: the freaking Lawrence Arms used it when recording Apathy and Exhaustion.

Even though i wasn't exactly thrilled with the single, i'm still planning on checking out the rest of the album: i actually like their Self-Titled record: on the rare occasions that i'll listen to Blink these days, it'll be that album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.