Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bring the 80's back

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    I love the pussy supporting character of 80's action sci-fi, the guy in Aliens who says "Game over man, game over!", he's also in T1 as one of the punks, Predator 2 (okay that's a 90's movie, suck it) as the lame cop.
    Bill Paxton. And fuck you. Hudson (his character in Aliens) is grossly misunderstood. He is NOT a pussy. He's just realistically freaking out under the circumstances. He's still awesome. Watch again as he goes down fighting. Nothing pussy about that. I'm still mad that he had the "coward" trait in the AVP collectible card game. Fuckers.

And he wasn't lame in Predator 2! He was a bit douchey, but still cool. Again he went down fighting in a cool scene. He's the only actor to have been killed on screen by a terminator, an alien and a predator. I love his career.

Also while I like all the Alien movies the obvious order is 2,1,4,3.
    Of course.

But the AVP movies are bad

I'll try and check out those Seagal movies, but I'll probably be asking you later which ones you said.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Give the AVP movies a second chance, I didn't like AVP1 when I first saw it. Watching it again I really enjoyed it. I just consider it a Alien/Predator movie that takes place during our time. It's great. AVP2 is even better though.

And yeah I enjoy Bill Paxton, but he was a coward, even Newt handled it better than he did.

I also enjoy Bishop, it's too bad he wasn't in a predator movie (to my knowledge) but he is in AVP1, and the first 3 terminator films, and I believe the first 3 Alien movies (sort of in the 3rd one).
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Lance Henriksen (Bishop) was not in the first Alien movie. Are you sure he was in all 3 of the original Terminator movies? But yeah, I like him too. James Cameron knows how to pick a good cast. Did you know he originally wanted Lance Henriksen to play the Terminator? It fit much better with the concept of a stealthy infiltrator.

Newt seemed quite resigned to the fact that they were all going to die. It just took Hudson a little while to come to terms with it. Not a coward.

I'm too much of an Alien/Predator fanboy to enjoy the AVP movies. It shouldn't have been on Earth. They should have just fully adapted one of the AVP books instead of just ripping off bits and pieces. Prey would make an excellent movie, I think that was the first AVP book. But the movies are also just not good. Granted the second one is an improvement and I tolerate it. It still suffers from no likable characters or memorable lines, but the absence of Paul W S Andersuck really helps. I wish James Cameron would do an AVP movie. I've heard rumors he is going to do a new Alien movie though, so that should be awesome.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

There was a rumor that James Cameron and Ridley Scott were going to collaborate on a 4th alien movie but didn't because they thought AVP ruined the franchise. And you're right about Bishop in the first, too bad. He's an awesome actor. Creepy enough to be a good Terminator.

And yeah he's definitely in the 3rd Terminator film, just not in Salvation. (funny he should play a humanoid android in one franchise, and then be convinced they are a psychotic delusion in another)

I think it probably helps never having read the AVP stuff to begin with, when watching AVP. In my view AVP is just really Predator movies with a few aliens. I didn't really watch them for the plot and character development as much as for the awesome gorey action though.

Paxton's a coward all the way through until he dies, that's pretty much his legacy. It's great though, I always loved that line "Game over man, game over!"
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/100/1009507p1.html

Alien prequel confirmed. Ridley onboard to direct.

And really, you can't mention the 80's without mentioning Indiana Jones, because that's the only decade where they released his films.
    Don´t take life too seriously... you’ll never escape it alive anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Superdope View Post
    http://movies.ign.com/articles/100/1009507p1.html
    And really, you can't mention the 80's without mentioning Indiana Jones, because that's the only decade where they released his films.
    True, later they were just raping him. I'm glad they were arrested in the end...

I'd love to live back then because of the music, because of early Iron Maiden and Metallica, but even more importantly because of '80s punk and beginnings of grunge. And then i'd just live through the whole '90s and enjoying the time when mainstream music was actually good.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor88 View Post
    True, later they were just raping him. I'm glad they were arrested in the end...

I'd love to live back then because of the music, because of early Iron Maiden and Metallica, but even more importantly because of '80s punk and beginnings of grunge. And then i'd just live through the whole '90s and enjoying the time when mainstream music was actually good.
    Raptor, did I mention how I like it when you make these SP references ?

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Quote Originally Posted by Superdope View Post
    Alien prequel confirmed. Ridley onboard to direct.
    Would have preferred Cameron, but good enough.

In my view AVP is just really Predator movies with a few aliens.
    Yeah, definitely. But the first 2 Predator movies had some substance behind them. More than just action and gore. And good characters. I'm not looking for character development necessarily, just characters that are immediately cool. The first Predator movie had some of the best acting Schwarzenegger ever did in my opinion. And all the characters were pretty cool. I liked them and cared about what happened to them. Predator 2 didn't have quite so many likable/cool characters and didn't have the same suspense, but it had a more complex story with the FBI involvement (BUSEY!) and still had some great lines. I quote both those movies all the time. Can't think of any good character or quotable line from the AVP movies. The AVP movies suffer from being recently made and just vaguely suck like most modern movies of this type. It's like people have forgotten how to get it right. Same with Terminator Salvation. It's alright as a stand alone piece, and by current standards it's not a bad movie, but compared to the origins of the franchise it sucks ass. And again I just didn't care about anyone. How is it so hard to make characters likable these days?

I always loved that line "Game over man, game over!"
    Yeah, everyone loves that line. That movie is stuffed full of quotable lines. Like "It was a bad call Ripley, a bad call". Which, incidentally, is quoted in Free Enterprise. You need to see that movie if you want to keep calling yourself a Star Trek fan. Ok, that's really not one of the best lines, but I wanted to mention Free Enterprise.

Name one cowardly thing Hudson did. He was a whiner, not a coward. Bravery/cowardice is defined by actions, not words.

There were a lot of crappy things in the 80s but that's the thing that makes us melancholic of those days!
    For us French people it was the days of the "Club Dorothée" that all kids used to watch, and all the Japanese animes that we got to see on it, Ken the survivor, dragon ball, les chevaliers du zodiaque (st seiya) one of my favourites, Nicky Larson... My oldest memory was the cartoon "Galaxy Rangers" but I was like 3 when it was on tv, so I vaguely remember the theme song.

And 21 Jump Street. And yes as far as movies go, the terminators, the aliens (I always found them pretty boring though) the schwarzenegger and Van Damme and Stallone movies, the Karate Kids, the gremlins... back to the future...

Quote Originally Posted by darea View Post
    There were a lot of crappy things in the 80s but that's the thing that makes us melancholic of those days!
    For us French people it was the days of the "Club Dorothée" that all kids used to watch, and all the Japanese animes that we got to see on it, Ken the survivor, dragon ball, les chevaliers du zodiaque (st seiya) one of my favourites, Nicky Larson... My oldest memory was the cartoon "Galaxy Rangers" but I was like 3 when it was on tv, so I vaguely remember the theme song.

And 21 Jump Street. And yes as far as movies go, the terminators, the aliens (I always found them pretty boring though) the schwarzenegger and Van Damme and Stallone movies, the Karate Kids, the gremlins... back to the future...
    Leeeees chevaliers du Zodiaaaqueuuuu parteeeeeu toujours à l'attaaaaaqueuuu.

Dorothée for President !

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !