Thread: cure for hiccups?

Default cure for hiccups?

Months ago I read an article that suggested a spoonful of sugar can stop hiccups. I was dubious, but the article seemed fairly legit so I kept it in the old memory banks. I finally got a chance to try it today.

I had been hiccuping for a good 10 to 15 minutes and finally got annoyed enough to venture into the kitchen. I hiccuped as I was bringing the spoon to my mouth and then that was it. I let the sugar dissolve in my mouth and did not hiccup even once more after that. Almost impossible that my hiccups could have randomly stopped at that exact moment. The sugar totally worked for me.

Assuming that most of you have never heard of this, I want you to remember this and give it a try next time you have the hiccups. Bump this thread and let me know if it works for you. Considering that hiccups are one of the most annoying of life's little annoyances I'm loving this discovery.

Screw the possible cure for type 2 diabetes, this is the big one boys and girls. I CURED HICCUPS!

I am not now nor have I ever been an employee of Big Sugar
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?

Richard, hiccups are cured by distracting yourself. If you can totally take your mind off the fact that you're hiccuping, they'll go away. Every single method of getting rid of hiccups is merely a distraction tactic. And yes, they do actually work, but not because of some chemical reaction or anything. Oftentimes they are only successful the first time, though, because after that you have expectations and end up not really being distracted.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/hiccups/page6_em.htm

http://www.bidmc.org/YourHealth/Holi...ChunkID=156989
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Old thread is old. I considered bumping it but I wanted this thread to be entirely about the sugar method anyway. Though I notice Sunny did mention it in that thread.

Bri, I'm not sure I agree about the distraction. I wasn't distracted by the sugar. I spent the entire time thinking about hiccuping and waiting for it to return. Prior to eating the sugar I was watching tv and was pretty engrossed in the show, which is actually why I waited so long before going in search of sugar. I would say the tv show was a distraction and didn't help at all, while the sugar was the total opposite of a distraction and worked instantly. If you said it was a biological distraction I might agree, but I don't agree that just taking your mind off of the hiccups will make them stop.

Anyway, I don't care too much why it worked, only that it did. And I'm curious how well it works for others.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

If you gulp three times in a row without hiccuping you'll get rid of it. True story, although gulping straightly is not much of an easy deal.
    "I come not, friends, to steal away your hearts..."

Quote Originally Posted by TheNooseIsFalling View Post
    nothing really interesting is going on there, when the girls took off their pants, it didn't exactly turn out the way I expected