Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Redestructed

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz! View Post
    It is nice to see that you weren't blowing smoke up our asses

The song is awesome and I see great things to come, waiting with great anticipation for the rest. My only concern is the intro, if you guys do manage to get into the muso industry, you are either going to have to pay for it or take it out. If you do land up taking it out, that would be a great pity

Oh ... and pump up the vocals a bit. I can understand you want to give the instruments their dues but you need to have a complete package with vocals to compliment the song.
    Well, i asked Harley once about this, and she said we shouldn't have any problems (short quotations can be used). Otherwise we'll have to remove the intro.

And the vocals are a bit quieter because of one more reason: they aren't really perfect pitch all the time. The other two songs have better vocals

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor88 View Post
    Well, i asked Harley once about this, and she said we shouldn't have any problems (short quotations can be used). Otherwise we'll have to remove the intro.
    I hope that this is true for international copyright law

Anyway, my thoughts are: When Dexter wanted to use the intro for CO1, he asked Mike Love for permission to do so.

Anyway, my thoughts are: When Dexter wanted to use the intro for CO1, he asked Mike Love for permission to do so.

Well, this is what Harley managed to find, and this goes specifically for Slovenia:

Article 51
    Quotations
    (1) It shall be permissible to make quotations of parts of a disclosed work and of single
    disclosed photographs, works of fine arts, architecture, applied art, industrial design and
    cartography, provided it is necessary for the purpose of illustration, argumentation or referral.
    (2) In cases stated in the foregoing paragraph, the source and authorship of the work must be
    indicated, if the latter is indicated on the work used.
    Article 52
    Accessory works of secondary importance
    Such disclosed works that may be regarded as accessory works of secondary importance with
    regard to the actual purpose of some material object, may be used freely while exploiting such
    object.
    She said it should be ok, i hope she was right . After all, the intro is in our case "secondary importance", it's not the crucial part of the song. BUT we'll still make sure that it'll be indicated where we got the intro from (i've already written it in this thread, and it'll be written in the credits also).
    Last edited by Rooster; 12-16-2009 at 01:51 PM.

The problem is that if they asked a permission as a courtesy, they risk to obtain a "no" and they won't use it, which is a shame considering they legally have a right to use it.

And for The Offspring and CO1, it is very different. They didn't use a work of art or a quote from a movie, they used a personal speech made by a singer. I think they even sampled his voice. It is only normal to ask for permission but it has little to do with author rights

I listened to it and no, according to that Slovenian article I found you back then, I doubt you risk anything. Mention everywhere where it comes from and that should be ok.

Of course, as I told you before too, nothing is ever sure when it comes to law. And "you don't risk anything" only means: it won't stand before a judge. But it doesn't mean nobody will want to take you to court.

Edit> Also, if the guys from Transpotting wants to take you to court, you will be the defendant, so, according to international private law, it will be Slovenian courts, in Slovenia, according to Slovenian law. So the articles you quoted apply.

Edit2> I like it, by the way
    Last edited by Harleyquiiinn; 12-16-2009 at 02:51 PM.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

So, if somebody would give us hard time because of this, would just taking the intro away solve the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor88 View Post
    So, if somebody would give us hard time because of this, would just taking the intro away solve the problem?
    Yes. Most people and 99.99% corporations send a letter asking to stop before taking someone to court.

If you receive one, you have 2 choices. You can remove the intro or you can argue that you have the right to use it.

Always remember that a law suit doesn't come cheap and corporations and people tend to avoid it.
    Last edited by Harleyquiiinn; 12-16-2009 at 03:00 PM.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Oh, ok then. Maybe i would reply politely, explaining the case a bit, and ask if we could use the intro. If the answer would be no, or yes (under conditions in which we would have to pay some money) then we would remove the intro (because we can't afford to pay for something like that, we don't have enough money). But if they would let us use it for free, then cool

And as i said, we'll write in the credits where we got the intro from.

Default Struggle of Our Days released!

This is the second song from our demo, Struggle of Our Days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UGnH...eature=channel

Comments appreciated

Download version ... please

And lyrics man, the lyrics!
    Don´t take life too seriously... you’ll never escape it alive anyway