View Poll Results: do you think two prisoners should be kept in one jail cell?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • no.

4 40.00%
  • yes, but only if the prisoners themself wish so.

5 50.00%
  • yes, and the prisoner should have no say in it.

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 prisoners on one jail cell

Default 2 prisoners on one jail cell

oh boy, the board finally sort-of works again. I must be the first to notice this, huh? I wasn't an active member on the BBS either, so it's not like you guys missed me .

Eitherway, I'm doing this project, and I want to know the public opinion, I guessed I could get the most opinions using the internet.
    Over here (the netherlands) there is a big debate about whether prisoners should be locked up alone or with two prisoners on one cell, and a lot of prisons experimented with it. It just happens with criminals who committed small crimes (no murderers and stuff) and on choice of the prisoner.
    Now or project mainly concerns the psychological effects for the prisoners, nonetheless we would like an idea how people think about it.

So the question is:
    Do you think there should be two prisoners in one jail cell?

Hard to say. I'd need to do much more research on conditions in prisons. And you do realize prisons vary vastly from country to country? I am sure the prisons of the Netherlands are very different from America's for example. Or Iraq's for that matter....
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

you are lucky to live in a country that you can choose this man..
    look for brazil's criminal system.. you dont know with you laugh or you cry when you realize that about 20 guys stay in the same small cell.. its madness..

if i could choose, i want to be with another one.. so, that is my vote.

just throw them in the hole, theres plenty of people in there

just throw them in the hole, theres plenty of people in there
    hah, just like the jews.
    Last edited by Jebus; 10-26-2004 at 07:38 PM.

We wouldn't need to even worry about prison overcrowded if we'd legalize drugs. 1/3rd of prisoners are non violent drug offenders.

I say they should be in a cell with someone else. As long as both are non-violent offenders, and they are matched to get along well, it would decrease space problems in prisons and decrease anti-social behaviour regarding them having no one to really talk to when they might need it.
    As for legalising drugs, you'd be asking for a shitfight there. Medicinal Maurijauna for terminal patients, I agree with, recreational use not for the sole purpose of relieving pain, no.
    Then again, there should be better rehabilitation programs for drug users. Methadone (sp) is all well and good, but aren't they just trading one addiction for another?
    The Kuehn and Jones Orchestra
    True Sounds Of Liberty
    Nitro Nation on Myspace
    Myspace profile.
    People are like slinkies. Useless, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Hard to say. I'd need to do much more research on conditions in prisons. And you do realize prisons vary vastly from country to country? I am sure the prisons of the Netherlands are very different from America's for example. Or Iraq's for that matter....
    soz, shoudl've been more clear. I do not persť mean dutch prisoners, I'm wondering about the ethical side, about what people think about it.

The question could refer to any country with a decent prison (decent as in clean and now tortures).

thank you all for the input. I have nothing much to comment, since I don't have a clear stand on the subject. Most of you wrote some good, valid, arguments (except for the dude who wants to throw them in a hole).

basically I think prison should be made as unpleasant as possible an experience to teach the prisoners a lesson. There are arguments for both sides:

1) if a prisoner is in his/her own room, then it would hopefully cause loneliness.

2) However if a prisoner is stuck in a room with someone they really can't get on with then they would be unhappy.

From a tax payer's point of view, it's cheaper to put two guys in one room so this is a bonus cos the saved money can be used for something useful and beneficial to the rest of society.

But i don't think the prisoners should have any say in whether or not they have their own room or not.

You obviously know nothing then.

People don't do crime because they think prison is fantastic. As it is already in America, rape is not an uncommon thing among guys. Who would voluntarily put themselves into that?

No my friend, people commit crimes because they form a part of a class that has no opportunities. So they must resort to crime, every nation has a class like this. They unfortunately they are usually segregated by race, like blacks and latinos are expected to be more violent than white people.

In Europe we expect middle eastern immigrants to be more violence. However even before we had these immigrants we had the same kinds of crimes. So what needs to change is not the violent oppression of this class of people, but the alleviation of their material needs.

But fuck, heaven forbid we act logically.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.