Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Haiti

Default Haiti

Well by now most of you have heard about the massive 7.0 earthquake that hit Haiti yesterday. Until now there have been a dozen aftershocks. It is feared that half a million are dead. Many more missing...

Hope none of you had relatives in that area

Edit: Here are some images from yesterday and today. Warning, they are graphic images. Don't click on the link if you don't like this stuff.

Man, if I were rich I would send some money to those poor people. Really makes me sad.
    Last edited by DMelges; 01-13-2010 at 03:52 PM.
    "Noodles, the man who put the O in Obrigado." - Dexter Holland

"You're a sexy fucking audience!" - Noodles

"It is the power of music, to carry one directly into the mental state of the composer. The listener has no choice, it is like hypnotism." -Beethoven

Half a million dead?! Last I heard it was 2000!
    * !

Actually, wasn't Oxy in the Dominican Republic a few days ago? Not sure if anything happened there but still.
    * !

i don't think it was half a million dead. maybe at most it was the number of injured people. i think in the news here it said it was like a hundred thousand or something around that number

Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Actually, wasn't Oxy in the Dominican Republic a few days ago? Not sure if anything happened there but still.
    Barely felt it, except in the areas closer to the border.

::: DanceFuckerDance :::
    Quote Originally Posted by coke_a_holic View Post
    It's funny because Shank wants to be railed by Dexter.

"Youri Latortue told The Associated Press that 500,000 could be dead, but conceded that nobody really knows.

" "Let's say that it's too early to give a number," Preval said."

Latest news
    Last edited by DMelges; 01-13-2010 at 06:24 PM.

"It is the power of music, to carry one directly into the mental state of the composer. The listener has no choice, it is like hypnotism." -Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Barring a massive catastrophe, estimates are that 155K people die each day worldwide. How's that to put the death toll in Haiti in perspective.
    Yeah, it's horrible. I'm watching AC on CNN right now with alot of footage from the aftermath, with aftershocks still being felt as they are there. Many children stuck under tons concrete, broken legs and ribs not being treated because a broken bone in comparison to other injuries they have to deal with are on a relatively low scale. Bodies stacked on the street.... horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan M. View Post
    Man, if I were rich I would send some money to those poor people. Really makes me sad.
    This is terrible, of course, but why do so many people seem to ignore the suffering that goes on every single day and only focus on big events like this? If you are inclined towards charity there were an abundance of worthwhile causes before this. I'm not picking on you or anything, I just don't like the way so many people don't seem to spare a thought for all the suffering that happens every day until something like this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Barring a massive catastrophe, estimates are that 155K people die each day worldwide. How's that to put the death toll in Haiti in perspective.
    Are you saying that makes this disaster more significant in terms of death toll or less significant? Because I could see how that statistic could be used to argue it either way and I'm curious which way you were going with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    This is terrible, of course, but why do so many people seem to ignore the suffering that goes on every single day and only focus on big events like this? If you are inclined towards charity there were an abundance of worthwhile causes before this. I'm not picking on you or anything, I just don't like the way so many people don't seem to spare a thought for all the suffering that happens every day until something like this happens.
    I totally agree with you. People should definetly help out more, and not only in these situations. I just said so in this case because there problem right now is finding food and water. Alot of people in Haiti will die of thirst now that every business is or abandoned or destroyed. Not to mention that if it starts raining, the dead bodies stacked in the streets will contaminate the water and makes matters even worse. Also, it will take years to fix the damages. What they really need is money.

And if I were rich, I would definetly help in anyway I can. Maybe we should use all the 'extra' money we have on Lottos and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, lol.