Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: The Offspring (1989)

This guy is just giving a very piss poor attitude and outlook on the album.
    I guarantee not all reviews on offsprings albums would be 10/10, fans or not.
    But i can tell you that this album specifically was obviously one of there better ones. This album made them who they are today, and your not gonna say this album is a 10/10? If anything, they did something right to be where they are today, and the old shit is the reason. I dont know man, you got your shit twisted.

and thats a lie, there were alot of perfect albums.
    SOAD's Toxicity album was perfect. DONT LIE.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanSabotage View Post
    But i can tell you that this album specifically was obviously one of there better ones. This album made them who they are today, and your not gonna say this album is a 10/10? If anything, they did something right to be where they are today, and the old shit is the reason. I dont know man, you got your shit twisted.

and thats a lie, there were alot of perfect albums.
    SOAD's Toxicity album was perfect. DONT LIE.
    Musical taste is completely subjective, his opinion is obviously going to differ from yours: best not to get upset about it. Supa took the time to draft a reasonably well written review: i don't necessarily endorse everything that he's written, but i won't give him any grief about it.

I love this album, but it's not even in my top five Offspring records. It's a solid record, but outside of a couple tracks, it doesn't really break out from that late 80s socal punk sound like TSOL. It wasn't until Ignition, that the band really started to sound like "the Offspring" that we know today.

And I agree that "perfect" albums can exist, Toxicity certainly isn't one of them, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    it doesn't really break out from that late 80s socal punk sound like TSOL. It wasn't until Ignition, that the band really started to sound like "the Offspring" that we know today.

I agree. Although I still like a good five or six of the eleven songs from Eponymous (which is really good. If I like half of an album I generally call it a success), it's hands down my least favorite Offspring album. There really is nothing stand-out or special about it. It doesn't differ at all from typical 80's punk rock. You couldn't tell it's the Offspring at all, if not for Dexter's distinctive vocals. Ignition was a marvelous evolution for the band, and to think that they could improve their songwriting skills that much in three years or less speaks wonders about them.

Since the album is a build-up towards Ignition and Smash and therefore certainly not as good as those, you cannot possibly give it a 10/10. That is, unless it's your favourite album of all time. Completely logical.

I'd say the review by Supa is fair. He gives good arguments for everything he states (also in his replies in this thread).

Yeah, not to mention giving an album a solid 7 out of 10 isn't exactly spreading negative energy. That's a generous score, if you ask me. S/T is simply not really that good. I know a lot of casual fans pick Smash to be their favorite album, and calling Smash their "best" is sort of cliche, but I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't consider Smash superior to S/T in every way possible. And that's just Smash, if you listen to the other albums, you could probably find one to be above Smash (I prefer Ixnay over all, personally).

I guess the point is, I can't imagine anyone picking S/T to be a masterpiece, or their favorite album. If someone says that, I'd suspect they're just trying to be anti-commercial.

Wow, so every single thing The Offspring have ever done is perfect. The more you know...

Looks like I won't be posting another album review on here unless it's a 10/10.
    My Offspring
    July 2nd, 2010 - Maryland Heights, Missouri
    July 20th, 2012 - St. Louis, Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldMark
    I used to collect old offspring bootlegs, I have them on a hard drive somewhere. Crossroads, Something to believe in, come out swinging, never gonna find me, dirty magic (electric in austrailia, and acoustic in austrailia) i definitely have.
    Mark, we're not giving up.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    I guess the point is, I can't imagine anyone picking S/T to be a masterpiece, or their favorite album.
    it was genuinely my favourite album of all time for a while and it's still one of my 2 favourite offspring albums (along with ignition)

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    I guess the point is, I can't imagine anyone picking S/T to be a masterpiece, or their favorite album. If someone says that, I'd suspect they're just trying to be anti-commercial.
    i never said im giving it 10/10
    sure, 7/10 is great, but supa's reasons are bullshit.
    Supa is clearly a metal head and is picking out things of this album that only metal heads would take notice to. its like listing to britney spear's first album and saying "its not heavy enough"

dudes a total corn flake

i never said im giving it 10/10
    sure, 7/10 is great, but supa's reasons are bullshit.
    Supa is clearly a metal head and is picking out things of this album that only metal heads would take notice to. its like listing to britney spear's first album and saying "its not heavy enough"

dudes a total corn flake

I don't see how he's clearly a metal head, or picks out things only a metalhead would. I read the whole review, and the only criticism he seems to give is "nothing special," or "just an average song." It doesn't take a headbanger to notice that this album was made in their most immature musical state.

I really don't understand what you're talking about at all, to be honest. He gives the album a gracious 7/10, and on three or four songs he expresses complaint for the lack of standout, and all of the sudden he's a "corn flake" metalhead?

immature state?