Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you allow such a law in society?

Default Would you allow such a law in society?

I was reading about a study performed on sexual offenders who had been castrated as a means to reduce their sentance in Norway. Out of the 103 offenders, there were only 3 re-offenders. The paper reported much lower than control amounts (although this number is not given).
    Studies on guinea pigs and other rodents show that a few weeks after castration, sexual behaviour drops to negligible levels. Similar studies with similar results have been performed on primates. In total there are quite a number of animal studies.
    So,
    my question is: say this research, peer-reviewed and published, was all compiled, available for all to read. Would you vote to pass a law saying repeat sexual offenders should be castrated? As well, if even pedophilic sexual drive can be stemmed to the normal hormones produced in gonads (i.e. testosterone), would you support castration of those guilty of pedophilia?
    Just a side note, castration equals sterility.
    Tatyana <3

Live fast cause if you don't take it, you'll never make it
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan M. View Post
    Sex is kinda like The Offspring. If you've never tried it, you'll ask yourself...what's so good about it? Once you do try it, you love it.

As well, if even pedophilic sexual drive can be stemmed to the normal hormones produced in
    Meaning what, you could give them some kind of anti-hormone to sustain their drive? Well if you could then I guess do that. If they still violate or don't take their pills I suppose you can do castration in rare instances. But the thing is that repeat offenders would be thrown away in jail, so what's the point? This would have to be something you give out in extreme cases, like the death sentence. But in those extreme cases, they aren't gonna be gettin outta jail so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    If I had the power, I would finally grant your wish to be polls moderator. With no voting rights. Like the Washington DC of modship.
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyoff
    do you have boobs??? because in your picture it looks like you have. are you a boy or a girl?

Quote Originally Posted by SweetTatyana View Post
    Just a side note, castration equals sterility.
    There are a few ways people can be castrated, and I'm not entirely sure which one this is. But, from what I've read, the three main ways are:

1) Physically remove sex organs.
    2) Use chemicals as a one-time process that permanently sterilizes the person and removes sex drive in its entirety.
    3) Use drugs that the offender is required to go to the hospital and take every so often, which strongly reduces/inhibits his sex drive. - if he stops using the drugs, he's no longer "sterile".

I assume what you're referring to is the second type. In my opinion, only the third should be used, unless the guy is a repeated offender who fails to follow the law on taking his drugs. Then I may support the second type being used. However, I definitely feel the first is a huge ethics violation, and someone who is falsely accused of rape could easily end up with his dick being removed. Rape is a really hard thing to prove (much harder to prove than most crimes, really... consent, alcohol, emotions, etc...), so I think the third is the only really okay option unless there is irrefutable proof of repeat offenses, or the guy comes clean.

Rape is such a disgusting thing that I definitely do support some sort of castration repercussion. Many people seem to support all types of castration laws, though, including physical removal. They say, "don't rape people then". These tend to be the same people that strongly support the death penalty...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

This is a tough one...

I don't think cutting off sexual offenders penises will keep them from harming anyone ever again. They will likely try to repeat the offense, seeking some form of pleasure, even if they can't obtain it sexually. Rapists are violent, not just sexually.

If you were look at it as an 'eye for an eye' situation, you could castrate and throw them in jail, being the worst punishment.

I guess I would allow such a law, simply because I think sexual offenders should have the worst punishment possible.
    "Noodles, the man who put the O in Obrigado." - Dexter Holland

"You're a sexy fucking audience!" - Noodles

"It is the power of music, to carry one directly into the mental state of the composer. The listener has no choice, it is like hypnotism." -Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Al Coholic View Post
    Meaning what, you could give them some kind of anti-hormone to sustain their drive? Well if you could then I guess do that. If they still violate or don't take their pills I suppose you can do castration in rare instances. But the thing is that repeat offenders would be thrown away in jail, so what's the point? This would have to be something you give out in extreme cases, like the death sentence. But in those extreme cases, they aren't gonna be gettin outta jail so...
    I should have elaborate a bit. What I mean by saying if it was the case that the sexual urges experienced by pedophilia were still caused by testosterone (which is responsible for sex drive), so that castration would diminish their drive to molest children, would you vote for castration of pedophiles.
    Tatyana <3

Sex is kinda like The Offspring. If you've never tried it, you'll ask yourself...what's so good about it? Once you do try it, you love it.

LM so you mean it is a possible sentence? Do you know how many times you must offend (in general, like a minimum) before it can be applied?
    Tatyana <3

I don't think cutting off sexual offenders penises will keep them from harming anyone ever again. They will likely try to repeat the offense, seeking some form of pleasure, even if they can't obtain it sexually. Rapists are violent, not just sexually.
    Yeah I was thinking more of the chemical way but I do agree with you that there will always be a residual amount of offense as a result of some other limbic drive, like how the study shows 3 people still re-offended after castruation. But it is can significantly reduce by a large margin, is that something to ignore?
    Tatyana <3

Hmm, I guess it really depends. For repeat offenders who don't show any signs of changing, I think it could be somewat useful as a last resort.
    If it prevents people from being harmed, then this is quite an advantage.

We do it to many animals as a means of safety as well as just preventing reproduction. The very few times I've seen stallions, they've been a lot more high spirited and you must take a lot more caution around them than geldings (castrated horse).
    If a person decides that they'd rather act like an animal, then they should be treated as one.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetTatyana View Post
    Yeah I was thinking more of the chemical way but I do agree with you that there will always be a residual amount of offense as a result of some other limbic drive, like how the study shows 3 people still re-offended after castruation. But it is can significantly reduce by a large margin, is that something to ignore?
    No it isn't something to ignore. As you said, the study shows that 3 people re-offended, but were those sexual offenses, or just physical offenses?

And as Little Miss said, rape is a crime of power and pedophilia is desire. So if someone raped another person (not a child), it is often not even a sexual desire that the rapist set out to do. He enjoys the power that he as over the victim. Castrating him won't keep him from bein violent at all. But pedophilia... I'm not sure if it'll work either. Pedophilia is a psychological disorder.

Read this article. It explains the biological associations with pedophilia. So I'm not sure exactly if castration would be enough to destroy this desire.

"Several researchers have reported correlations between pedophilia and certain psychological characteristics, such as low self-esteem and poor social skills. Beginning in 2002, other researchers began reporting a series of findings linking pedophilia with brain structure and function: Pedophilic (and hebephilic) men have lower IQs, poorer scores on memory tests, greater rates of non-right-handedness, greater rates of school grade failure over and above the IQ differences, lesser physical height, greater probability of having suffered childhood head injuries resulting in unconsciousness, and several differences in MRI-detected brain structures. They report that their findings suggest that there are one or more neurological characteristics present at birth that cause or increase the likelihood of being pedophilic. Evidence of familial transmittability "suggests, but does not prove that genetic factors are responsible" for the development of pedophilia.

Another study, using structural MRI, shows that male pedophiles have a lower volume of white matter than a control group.

Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) has shown that child molesters diagnosed with pedophilia have reduced activation of the hypothalamus as compared with non-pedophilic persons when viewing sexually arousing pictures of adults. A 2008 functional neuroimaging study notes that central processing of sexual stimuli in heterosexual "paedophile forensic inpatients" may be altered by a disturbance in the prefrontal networks, which "may be associated with stimulus-controlled behaviours, such as sexual compulsive behaviours." The findings may also suggest "a dysfunction at the cognitive stage of sexual arousal processing."

Blanchard, Cantor, and Robichaud (2006) reviewed the research that attempted to identify hormonal aspects of pedophiles. They concluded that there is some evidence that pedophilic men have less testosterone than controls, but that the research is of poor quality and that it is difficult to draw any firm conclusion from it.

While not causes of pedophilia themselves, comorbid psychiatric illnesses — such as personality disorders and substance abuse — are risk factors for acting on pedophilic urges. Blanchard, Cantor, and Robichaud (2006) noted about comorbid psychiatric illnesses that, "The theoretical implications are not so clear. Do particular genes or noxious factors in the prenatal environment predispose a male to develop both affective disorders and pedophilia, or do the frustration, danger, and isolation engendered by unacceptable sexual desires—or their occasional furtive satisfaction—lead to anxiety and despair?" They indicated that, because they previously found mothers of pedophiles to be more likely to have undergone psychiatric treatment, the genetic possibility is more likely.
    "
    "Noodles, the man who put the O in Obrigado." - Dexter Holland

"You're a sexy fucking audience!" - Noodles

"It is the power of music, to carry one directly into the mental state of the composer. The listener has no choice, it is like hypnotism." -Beethoven

Oh yeah, Dan that stuff is very interesting. Yeah, at this point of brain research, I think trying to piece together all of the evidence to decide if it would work would be tiresome, and quite incomplete. Waiting for the gaps to fill in will also take quite some time. If other counties who do apply the treatment and see significantly reduced reoffenders, I think that is more what we should be focussing on in terms of law making at this time. Once information on the molecular biology and anatomical differences observed between that of pedophiles and the brains of "normal" human beings, and link them meaningfully to the behaviour, hopefully then there will be a way to reverse it before anyone gets hurt. The studies that I was looking for were less mechanistic, just looking for the cause and effect.

Another interesting thing I was wondering that was brought up by that article was the genetics behind pedophilia because apparently, most pedophiles themselves have been sexually abused when they were young. But likely, the abuse would have come from somebody close like a family member and thus the gene could be in the family, or it could be a trait more caused by experience?

Hmm I found this castration method is also being put into use in Great Britian and Poland, and so I am guessing other places as well. Maybe this is the "priliminary" step to see if they do encounter success where it might become mandatory.
    Tatyana <3