Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording from a USB device

Default Recording from a USB device

I have an electronic drum kit that connects to my computer's USB port. Now from what I understand, I'm supposed to be able to record the signal directly into my computer....I can't quite figure out how to do that, though

My computer does recognize the device; when I plug it in, a little message appears in my system tray that says it can detect a USB device. So the connection is there. I just can't figure out how to record from that connection; no matter what settings I fool with in CoolEdit, I just can't get my computer to record the sound that's coming out of the drum kit. I always end up having to directly mike the speaker on the drum kit, which sounds like absolute shit (as my recent recordings can attest).

It would be a HUGE help to me if someone (preferably, someone who's familiar with CoolEdit, although I'm a bit desperate so I'm not picky) could offer some suggestions as to how I might handle this....the drums are the biggest problem with my recordings at this point. If I can get them to record directly, then I can have them in stereo (instead of mono, which is how they're recorded now, because I have to mike the speaker and there's only one speaker on the kit). I was gonna try to get this fixed before I started on my next EP, because drums are kind of important and I want them to mix right....

I've read the instructions, but they're in horribly-mangled English (some of the sentences barely make sense....it's probably because it's a cheap knock-off that I bought for about $100....it sounds great, but I have *no idea* how to make it record right, so if I can't figure this out, I'm seriously considering buying another one....recording is half the reason I bought the damn thing!).

Thanks in advance to any takers
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Try changing the input for recording in CoolEdit.

Either that, or you need to download some sort of plug-in for your drumkit, in which case you should search the model number/name on Google and look for a download.

I don't have any solutions for this, but I'll just offer the technique I used when I rented a kit for Save The Day. It obviously has a headphone jack, right? Just run a cable from the headphone jack into the line in or even the mic jack on your computer. But preferably line in.
    Check out my music -> Random Goods

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Unfortunately, you may be screwed. I mostly use Audition for recording, which I think is a later version of CoolEdit, and some USB devices don't work with it. My interface works fine, but the guitar pedal I just bought doesn't record with it, no matter what I try. Then I put it on Cubase and it's all good. Hopefully, that's not the case with you and you're just overlooking something. If you're desperate, one thing you could do is download some free programs that recognize USB devices and try your luck.
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Try changing the input for recording in CoolEdit.

Either that, or you need to download some sort of plug-in for your drumkit, in which case you should search the model number/name on Google and look for a download.
    This is what I would do, too. You usually have to change the input from "your normal sound card" to "certain USB device" to record from USB into a recording application.
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

Unfortunately, you may be screwed. I mostly use Audition for recording, which I think is a later version of CoolEdit, and some USB devices don't work with it. My interface works fine, but the guitar pedal I just bought doesn't record with it, no matter what I try. Then I put it on Cubase and it's all good. Hopefully, that's not the case with you and you're just overlooking something. If you're desperate, one thing you could do is download some free programs that recognize USB devices and try your luck.
    Well, under "device settings" in CE it's recognizing that I have a USB device (for Wave In it says "USB Device" or something to that effect).

I don't have any solutions for this, but I'll just offer the technique I used when I rented a kit for Save The Day. It obviously has a headphone jack, right? Just run a cable from the headphone jack into the line in or even the mic jack on your computer. But preferably line in.
    That's an interesting trick....I tried it, and I got a recording signal, but on playback it's just dead air That's never happened to me before.
    "I'm sorry
    "

Did you just try the line in jack? If you didn't try it into the mic jack, try that too, cause I used the mic jack when I did it, it was really quiet with the line in for me.

If that doesn't work, then I don't have any other suggestions, except maybe google your kit and try to find out about any recording problems people have had with it.

Oh about what Randy said, about getting a new program, try this one http://www.reaper.fm/ It says it's only a trial once you get it, but you can evaluate forever. They didn't cripple it either. I don't know if it'll support your kit, but it's worth a shot, and this program is pretty great.
    Last edited by Ryder1234; 04-23-2010 at 11:27 AM.
    Check out my music -> Random Goods

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    Well, under "device settings" in CE it's recognizing that I have a USB device (for Wave In it says "USB Device" or something to that effect).
    Ah, sorry, that's what I meant. It recognizes my pedal (even by name), but doesn't record, BUT...

That's an interesting trick....I tried it, and I got a recording signal, but on playback it's just dead air That's never happened to me before.
    Damn. I wish I had my other computer so I could mess around with Audition for you. There's gotta be a solution.
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

First off, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input. I'd like to report that I have made a breakthrough: I have figured out how to get the signal to go directly into cool edit.

It turns out, by some weird coincidence, that the reason I couldn't hear the track when I played it back (even though there was a waveform visible on the screen) was not because of the recording, but because my speakers were malfunctioning. A hardware check and a few reboots later, I was able to both record the sound AND get it to play back. It sounds crisp, clear and delicious~

Now, there is still one small problem --- not a matter of necessary, moreso of convenience. As it stands, I can either sample the signal directly into my mixer, *or* I can play it back in realtime (i.e. while I'm playing) so that I can hear what I'm playing. I can't do both at the same time. Which basically means that I can't tell if I'm playing it right until I go and listen to the waveform after I've finished recording.

So my big question now is: Does anyone have any idea how I might get it so that I can hear what I'm playing while I'm playing it, *AND* get a direct signal from the device to my computer? Once I figure that out, I'm set!
    "I'm sorry
    "

Breaking news:

I FIGURED IT OUT! WOO!

I don't know exactly what I did, but I fiddled with some settings in cool edit and in the sound options on my desktop, and suddenly it started working....happy days are here again!

Thanks for the help, people! I'm off to DO STUFF now!
    "I'm sorry
    "