Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hip Hop

Default Hip Hop

Alright, so, due to a decrease in both my level of Offspring fandom/admiration and just these boards in general I haven't hung out in these parts in a minute. I do miss being part of a forum though, and there really isn't any other one I can think of that I'd want to join, so I thought I'd try it back here and see how I go. One of my favourite threads of old was the hip hop one that disappeared for whatever reason at whatever time, and since it was such a solid read I thought I'd bring the beat back.

Any hip hop discussion welcome. Who's dope, who's wack, who're the all time greats, what's good of what's currently out/coming out, y'know all the like! A few favourites top of my head would include CunninLynguists, Gang Starr, Nas, Mos Def, Tonedeff, Masta Ace, Eminem, Dr. Dre, Wu-Tang, Hilltop Hoods, Pharoahe Monch, Royce Da 5'9", Black Milk, J Dilla, Marco Polo... and a whole lot of etcs to follow.

Eminem's always a popular one... what's he up to at the moment? Relapse 2's supposedly coming this year. Wasn't too big on Relapse 1 but from what I've heard he's taking it in a different direction, and if his verses on "Forever" and Lil Wayne's "Drop the World" are any indication of that said direction I'll be stoked to hear it.

Looking forward to the next Nas album, a collaborative with Damian Marley. As We Enter, first song leaked from it, is certified dopeness.

And that'll do me for now. Go go go!
    I'm the chairman of the bored.

I'm not really into the US hip hop anymore.
    I used to listen to Snoop Dogg, Eminem and most of the stuff that was popular in the nineties but I'm pretty much bored by the monotony of recent US hip hop. Eminem still rocks, though.
    Also, there's some funny german hip hop that I occasionally listen to.
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

I like pretentious political rap, mostly. You know, Atmosphere, Brother Ali (not the best flow, but I love his lyrics), Flobots...

Otherwise, I really love Jay Z, as far as super famous MTV rap goes. Black Album is definitely his best work. I loved Eminem's first two or three albums, but then I got really bored.

I'm also into Lupe Fiasco, Saul Williams, and Buck 65... they were all recommended here, but I don't remember who recommended what. There was tons of rap recommended to me, but those were the only three I really dig - especially Buck 65.

Edit: ad8, I love Fanta4 soooooooo much - The "Fornika" album is fabulous. What other good german rap groups are there?
    Last edited by Llamas; 01-28-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I'm big on Lupe. I also have Nas' Illmatic and have listened it to a fair lot.

One of my favourite bands is a Korean hiphop group Epik High, with bilingual songs. (Mostly Korean, some in English.)
    and no wonder hearts and minds have been won

Did everybody like Eminem's latest album? There were a few too many soft beats and crappy sung hooks for my liking, but overall he sounded refreshingly re-energised and it was by far his best since The Eminem Show. He absolutely killed Lil Wayne on "No Love."

Best hip hop album for me this year, aside from PackFM and Big Boi - Kno's "Death Is Silent." The production is so out of this world, reminds me of DJ Shadow if nothing else. Streaming here - do yourselves a favour:

http://cunninlynguists.bandcamp.com/...eath-is-silent
    I'm the chairman of the bored.

Big Boi's albums is fucking awesome. probably my favorite hip-hop album of the year. I really don't listen to as much as i'd like to. I get distracted. I think part of it is that albums can be long... and I never have the time to listen to a whole hour long album at once. I've bought a couple Madlib albums this year, He's such a great DJ, and of course DJ Shadow is the shit. Donuts by J Dilla is probably one of my favorite Hip hop albums period. Fucking love that thing.

I'm looking forward to Kanye's new one. Power is such a great song! Hope the rest is just as good.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomist View Post
    Did everybody like Eminem's latest album? There were a few too many soft beats and crappy sung hooks for my liking, but overall he sounded refreshingly re-energised and it was by far his best since The Eminem Show. He absolutely killed Lil Wayne on "No Love."
    I didn't really like it that much... although I've only listened to it once apart from Not Afraid. There were some really good songs on the album but all in all it was just too much soft and overly emotional personal stuff and not enough of the old provocative anti-everything Eminem in there in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

I still havent heard the whole album....

I heard THANK ME LATER by Drake the other day..... wasn't that impressed. Is it one of those growers? I dont know if i could really sit through it again.

Anyone else like "How I got Over" by the Roots?
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Only thing relatively hip hop that I like Is Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip. Intelligent hip hop

the only hip hop i listened to was eminem but the hype surrounding him just got blown out of proprtion. there were always stories in the media about him and his live show which just seemed staged rather than the bad boy antics you were expecting. i havent really check out any of his recent material sice he came back from the whole drug abuse issue though!
    whenever i learn something new it pushes some old knowledge out of my brain, remember that home wine making course when i forgot how to drive?!