Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Set in their ways

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    I'm not sure this is worth layperson-psychological-profile-building. They may just not like you, as has been mentioned. So why waste the energy wondering why they're shutting you out? They clearly are, so wouldn't that energy be better spent seeking out people who do like you?
    True, but I've found that you can't always avoid these situations. They pop up here and there. It's probably just a fact of life for the most part, but I just find it unbearable sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    And then even if you try and force in a comment, most of them or all of them ignore you. You don't sense even the slightest bit of inclusiveness.
    I bet you long for the days when people just wouldn't give you some damn french fries.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I bet you long for the days when people just wouldn't give you some damn french fries.
    I checked who was online, and I saw you reading that thread!

Oh cool. If you could do that in real life maybe people would like you.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Ok I'm done pretending to be mean.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Do people feel like they have something with their freinds that makes them feel good, and they become so attached to it that they're scared that mere possibility of someone else joining in could somehow ruin it?
    Sometimes, yeah, probably. Other times they just have formed this natural dynamic and it will understandably take time for you to find a way to slip into that in a way which doesn't feel forced. And sometimes they just don't know how to include you, in which case they probably feel as uncomfortable as you do. So in conclusion I'd say there's no definitive answer. It depends.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Sometimes, yeah, probably. Other times they just have formed this natural dynamic and it will understandably take time for you to find a way to slip into that in a way which doesn't feel forced. And sometimes they just don't know how to include you, in which case they probably feel as uncomfortable as you do. So in conclusion I'd say there's no definitive answer. It depends.
    True. I guess 90 percent of the time it's really just the way things are rather than people being dicks.

Indeed. I would doubt that it's an intentional thing most of the time. And even when it is, insecurity is as likely as just plain dickishness.

When it happens to me it is typically wrong place and the wrong time. If I am at a party and I wander over to a group of friends, they may be caught up in a conversation I have no place in. I'll go talk to someone else and come back later.

When we have parties at my house, it is almost exclusively good friends, every now and then someone will bring a friend or two, which is fine. We do what we can to include them, if we like them. Now they'll be included in the party, that doesn't mean when three of us walk outside to talk about something they'll be included in that. We'll do this to people we like, just because it isn't something they need be involved in.

As far as people we don't like, we'll faux-include them, and then I'll make back handed compliments all night that some of my really good friends will pick up on, but the person won't.

If it is happening outside of a party situation and we like the person, it is usually just because we have no connection with them. We'll introduce ourselves and then go about our discussion, they're welcome to jump in if they'd like, and they'll be recognized if they had something valid to say.
    I wrote a four word letter.