Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl records

I don't have a working player right now, but I'll be listening to them when I buy one.

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

I've always loved records. My mom had a box of old motown records when I was about 5, and I remember spending whole days listening to them. I have a feeling that yesterday, I rekindled that love and bought the first of what will be a pretty damn awesome record collection. I just walked into a used book store and right in front was an album I've wanted for a while, They Might Be Giants self-titled album. I can't even find the CD anymore and this record is in GREAT shape, and seems to be from the original pressing in 1986. I was stoked.

Anyway, I remember seeing some sites where you can get good vinyls, but I wasn't interested then. I'll retrace my steps and see if I can find them again for you.

EDIT: BTW, does anyone know how good USB turntables are? I'm looking into getting one.
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

We should start a vinyl social group or something.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post
    You know you can have both?
    Well yeah, but i wouldn't want a half and half collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Cds are kind of going out, and records are a sort of classical thing to own. I just prefer collecting them.
    I know, and i like collecting them as well: it's unfortunate, but i think when they finally stop printing cds, i'll just switch to complete digital downloads. But i agree, there is something neat about actual records.
    Last edited by jacknife737; 02-02-2010 at 07:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    EDIT: BTW, does anyone know how good USB turntables are? I'm looking into getting one.
    I've heard that they mostly work pretty well, but it takes hours to convert the music from vinyl till mp3 files, and you must do it manually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

I love how records sound - much better sound quality than anything else. But I'm far too much of a traveler, maybe a gypsy, to own something that huge, heavy, and space-consuming. I barely own my own furniture, let alone something so unnecessary. However, I started collecting CDs when I was 12, and have a collection now of around 350 or so. I'll never get rid of that collection, and probably won't stop buying CDs even when they become as unpopular as records. I don't think I've ever *decided* to start a collection... the ones I have (CDs, musical instruments) started by accident and I didn't even realize it til I had a bunch. But yeah, records sound nice. I'd own them for the sound quality... if they weren't so huge and easy to scratch/destroy :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Just to clear things up, a record is a record, whether it comes out as vinyl, CD, cassette etc.

There you go with those semantics again.

But actually, a record is specifically the thing we're talking about, but over the years, the word became synonymous with "a collection of recorded music". It's like using the word "diapers," even if you're not talking about the particular brand.
    My myoosik:

Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    There you go with those semantics again.

But actually, a record is specifically the thing we're talking about, but over the years, the word became synonymous with "a collection of recorded music". It's like using the word "diapers," even if you're not talking about the particular brand.
    Musically, a record is a data storage device that contains audio data.

Yes, but as I said, it gradually came to be known that. At the beginning of recorded music, there was only one medium, and since that actual physical disc was called a record, whatever was on it would have to be called a record. And as we moved on to 8-tracks tapes to cassettes to CDs and now to digital media, the name just stuck.

So yeah, you're right. While record now describes any data storage device that contains audio data, at its most strict meaning, it's that particular vinyl disc.
    My myoosik: