Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl records

Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post
    Musically, a record is a data storage device that contains audio data.
    This is one definition, but that's not the one I'm referring to. I'm referring to:

"a. A disk designed to be played on a phonograph."

"3. A vinyl disc on which sound is recorded and may be replayed on a phonograph. ex: I still like records better than CDs."

Vinyl doesn't always refer to a disc that has audio recordings etched into it, either. Both words have more than one meaning, but "record" means what I used it for, also.

Edit: I think it's funny that someone who has learned English as a foreign language is trying to correct an English teacher Not that I'm never wrong, but in most cases with English, I know damn well what I'm talking about. :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post
    This is one definition, but that's not the one I'm referring to. I'm referring to:

"a. A disk designed to be played on a phonograph."

"3. A vinyl disc on which sound is recorded and may be replayed on a phonograph. ex: I still like records better than CDs."

Vinyl doesn't always refer to a disc that has audio recordings etched into it, either. Both words have more than one meaning, but "record" means what I used it for, also.

Edit: I think it's funny that someone who has learned English as a foreign language is trying to correct an English teacher Not that I'm never wrong, but in most cases with English, I know damn well what I'm talking about. :-P
    Well, according to the American Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a record is
    "to cause (as sound, visual images, or data) to be registered on something (as a disc or magnetic tape) in reproducible form"

It says nothing about vinyl records in particular.

I know you're an English teacher and that English is your native language since you're from the USA. Therefore you know your language better than I do. Nevertheless, I know some English too, and there are some things I have done some research on. I might add as well that I have had an English teacher from Australia that taught me a thing or two about English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

Are you talking about American records or European records ?

(Again. A subtle reference. But I won't say of what because Paint_It_Black said it would be better if I don't explain)

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Well, according to the American Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a record is
    "to cause (as sound, visual images, or data) to be registered on something (as a disc or magnetic tape) in reproducible form"

It says nothing about vinyl records in particular.

I know you're an English teacher and that English is your native language since you're from the USA. Therefore you know your language better than I do. Nevertheless, I know some English too, and there are some things I have done some research on. I might add as well that I have had an English teacher from Australia that taught me a thing or two about English.
    You gave the definition of the verb. I'm using the noun. According to the American Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a record (not to record is:

Main Entry: rec·ord
    Pronunciation: \ˈre-kərd also -ˌkȯrd\
    Function: noun
    Date: 14th century
    1 : the state or fact of being recorded
    2 : something that records: as a : something that recalls or relates past events b : an official document that records the acts of a public body or officer c : an authentic official copy of a document deposited with a legally designated officer d : the official copy of the papers used in a law case
    3 a (1) : a body of known or recorded facts about something or someone especially with reference to a particular sphere of activity that often forms a discernible pattern <a good academic record> <a liberal voting record> (2) : a collection of related items of information (as in a database) treated as a unit b (1) : an attested top performance (2) : an unsurpassed statistic
    4 : something on which sound or visual images have been recorded; specifically : a disc with a spiral groove carrying recorded sound for phonograph reproduction
    — for the record : for public knowledge : on the record
    — off the record : not for publication <spoke off the record> <remarks that were off the record>
    — of record 1 : being documented or attested <a partner of record in several firms>
    2 : being authoritative or sanctioned <a newspaper of record>
    — on record 1 : in the position of having publicly declared oneself <went on record as opposed to higher taxes>
    2 : being known, published, or documented <the judge's opinion is on record>
    — on the record : for publication

Ugh, this is sooo stupid... why are you so hung up on semantics, Rageandlov?

Harley, it was funny before, but it got old... no offense

Ilovellamas > Oh come on, you could have said something about my joke

Edit> Oh you did but now, I'm sad you did

I just made that joke once before ! it's not old
    Last edited by Harleyquiiinn; 02-04-2010 at 11:17 AM.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    Ilovellamas > Oh come on, you could have said something about my joke

Edit> Oh you did but now, I'm sad you did

I just made that joke once before ! it's not old
    You only made the joke twice, but the thread was like 5,000 pages long and really fucking annoying :-P

Ugh, this is sooo stupid... why are you so hung up on semantics, Rageandlov?
    I'm a little confused why you would be so adamant about usage that a non-native speaker might not be entirely familiar with, Rageandlov. Like offsrx arguing with me about the difference between a cover and a tribute. Urgh. Regardless, Llamas and others are correct -- In English, or at least American English, a record is specifically a vinyl LP. People still say "record collection" to refer to their entire collection of recorded music, whether it is on CD, cassette, LP, or hard drive, but this is a throwback to the days where people had collections of 12" crates. Musicians refer to an album as their "new record" or their "first record" etc etc regardless of whether or not it actually came out on LP, but again, this is a throwback to the times when this was the only format on which albums were released.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Originally, the term "record" was used for the first gramophone records (phonograph record in AE). Back then, the gramophone records were made of shellac. Later on, polyvinyl chloride (commonly known as vinyl) was used to make those records. This means that only gramophone records made of shellac are entitled to be called "records, but the the term got adopted to vinyl records at first, then cassettes, then CDs and so on.

The point of the thread is not what is classified as a record and what is not. I just wanted to make sure we talked about the same thing.
    Last edited by RageAndLov; 02-05-2010 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    I'm a little confused why you would be so adamant about usage that a non-native speaker might not be entirely familiar with, Rageandlov..
    So you did or didn't actually try to explain the difference to offsrx? I think it's normal to try to explain things when someone is debating with false information.

Originally, the term "record" was used for the first gramophone records (phonograph record in AE). Back then, the gramophone records were made of shellac. Later on, polyvinyl chloride (commonly known as vinyl) was used to make those records. This means that only gramophone records made of shellac should be called "records", but the the term got adopted to vinyl records at first, then cassettes, then CDs and so on.

The point of the thread is not what is classified as a record and what is not. I just wanted to make sure we talked about the same thing.
    Here you go again, trying to say what words "should" mean in English... every language has a thousand things that you could say "should" mean or be done differently. But you weren't arguing at the beginning that "record" SHOULD only be used for the first ones; you were saying it doesn't mean the same thing as vinyl... it does, but it's a matter of your own anal-ness about what it "should" mean. And the debate doesn't matter at all... it never should've been brought up. It was obvious that everyone was talking about the same thing based on how things were being described.

Here you go again, trying to say what words "should" mean in English... every language has a thousand things that you could say "should" mean or be done differently. But you weren't arguing at the beginning that "record" SHOULD only be used for the first ones; you were saying it doesn't mean the same thing as vinyl... it does, but it's a matter of your own anal-ness about what it "should" mean. And the debate doesn't matter at all... it never should've been brought up. It was obvious that everyone was talking about the same thing based on how things were being described.
    Okay, bad wording. Since you take things so literal, replace the sentence "This means that only gramophone records made of shellac should be called "records"" with "This means that only gramophone records made of shellac are entitled to be called "records"".