Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I suck at recieving gifts

Default I suck at recieving gifts

It's never been a talent of mine. Some of my siblings can open something they absolutely hate and light up with faked enthusiasm. They'll get loud and animated and celebrate and smile ear to ear. I can't fake it like that. The forced smile, the in-seat celebration...it's not a good look. I know to some extent it's more of a chick thing but I'm a goddamn statue. I don't ask for anything and try to be humble in life, so it's an awkward thing for people to give me shit all wrapped up and eagerly look on as I open it. A lot of these poor people put a lot of thought in what they're giving me and I atleast want them to feel appreciated.

Sometimes I appreciate the thought but just can't say much more than a "thanks a lot!" that sounds forced. And when I really do like something...I still don't sound much like I do. To compensate I'll give reasons as to why I like this, and how useful and awesome it is. But ultimately I think anyone who ever gave me anything either thought I didn't appreciate it, or didn't realise the full extent to which I do.

?
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    If I had the power, I would finally grant your wish to be polls moderator. With no voting rights. Like the Washington DC of modship.
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyoff
    do you have boobs??? because in your picture it looks like you have. are you a boy or a girl?

I can't really pretend to be exited whenever I get a gift no matter what it is.But I usely do'nt really care for getting gifts at all,I am thankfull that people care about me to give gifts to but I do'nt really want people doing that to show me that they care.That's why the other day on my birthday I told my family not to get enything because I was just happy being with them.

Yeah I have the same problem. I think I figured out a solution sometime recently though. I'll just make a quick statement about how the gift will be useful or fun, even if it's obvious. And even if it's some unexciting, everyday object, I can still say "you can never have too many of these" or something like that. It's a forumla that works with everything, so that's why it's successful.
    Last edited by bighead384; 02-06-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Coholic View Post
    . To compensate I'll give reasons as to why I like this, and how useful and awesome it is. But ultimately I think anyone who ever gave me anything either thought I didn't appreciate it, or didn't realise the full extent to which I do.
    Like I said, I do that. That's all I really got. It doesn't cut it though. I could literally be given something that I absolutely wanted more than anything in the world and just saying:

"Hey, thanks for the kidney. I'll use this thing everyday!"

Doesn't convey my appreciation. Clothes are easy because you can just put them on as soon as you open it. Actually the worse it doesn't match what you're wearing the better. Examples include a winter coat I got while wearing a bathing suit. It conveys a whole 'couldn't wait to put this on' thing. But again, kills the moment, often sounds forced.

You can't really do that with stuff though. Usually for me this results in some lame, hours or days later re-emphasis. As in:
    "Hey, thanks again for that thing. That was pretty awesome. I (insert story of how I used thing and it was awesome(story I've probably embellished or just completely made up.) and it couldn't have worked out better." But again, kills the moment, often sounds forced.
    Last edited by Al Coholic; 02-06-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Tit sanwich: ||( . )( . )|| ever put bread around a girls boobs? me neither
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    If I had the power, I would finally grant your wish to be polls moderator. With no voting rights. Like the Washington DC of modship.
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyoff
    do you have boobs??? because in your picture it looks like you have. are you a boy or a girl?

The trick is holding the gift longer than necessary once you open it. Then it seems like you want it near you because you like it.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Coholic View Post
    Like I said, I do that. That's all I really got. It doesn't cut it though. I could literally be given something that I absolutely wanted more than anything in the world and just saying:

"Hey, thanks for the kidney. I'll use this thing everyday!"
    Ah my bad, didn't see that. I'm real messed up right now. My opinion is that you may be overthinking this. Showing appreciation is easier to do for people with certain personalities, but as long as you make an effort to be appreciative, you won't be singled out for it.

I told a friend of mine that my mom gets me an ornament every Christmas, but she may not get me one this year, because she moved out of the state. My friend made me an ornament, it was one of the sweetest gestures ever, I loved it, but I'm the exact same way. So when I first opened it I was like 'wow, this is awesome, thank you so much'. But later I explained to her that I am really bad about that and don't know how to react, but I really appreciated it and think it was a really sweet gesture and everything.

She is my best friend, so I was capable of explaining it to her and everything. I don't think I'd do that with everyone, so I'm just like 'thanks, I really appreciate this' or whatever. I used to totally freak (like those videos with the kids who get video game systems) when I was a kid and my sister or someone would get me something really expensive, because I didn't know how else to show I liked it. So I did what I thought they expected from me.

Honestly, I think the best way to go about it is to just explain it if you're close enough to them. Are you worried people might think you're faking too?
    Last edited by WebDudette; 02-07-2010 at 03:33 AM.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    The trick is holding the gift longer than necessary once you open it. Then it seems like you want it near you because you like it.
    This, plus also, if it's a packaged item, open it up... look at it a lot.

I was never good at pretending to be grateful for gifts, either. I'm not a good liar, and I just fail at being anything other than myself. Being really enthusiastically thankful for something is not part of my persona. I've never done anything about it... just hoped people knew.

Where I live now, people only seem to exchange gifts on xmas... and then, no names are written on the gifts, and nobody says who anything is from. You open the present, look at it, and set it down. Nobody says thank you, nobody reacts. On one hand, it's nice not to have to force a reaction, but on the other hand, it's so weird to watch someone open something you gave them and have them not react at all. Heh.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas View Post

I was never good at pretending to be grateful for gifts, either.
    It's because someone spent time and/or money on trying to find a gift to make you happy, so really the second least a person can to is appear to be grateful. Or even if its a gift I don't like I can be genuinely grateful, some people suck at shopping for gifts, but they mean well.

And some of you guys sound as awkward as Frasier Crane.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

With friends and acquaintances I'm typically fine, not really awkward at all, a little nerdy sometimes I suppose, but nothing bad.

With close friends though, I can be so intensely awkward sometimes.
    I wrote a four word letter.