Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Sziget 09 - meet up and media thread

Default Sziget 09 - meet up and media thread

Offspring officially confirmed for 16th of August at Sziget!

For info cheap tickets, with drinks included where you don't have to worry about the show selling out join the social group:
    http://www.offspring.com/forums/group.php?groupid=145
    The tickets have nothing to do with the Offspring in any way shape or form, I'm helping a friend sell his tickets!

To Hungarians:
    If any of you can help out the foreign members coming in to see the Offspring at the Sziget with a place to crash, by picking them up at the airport, helping them find their way around town, to the venue or in any way possible then this is the time to come forward and post your intent in this topic. I would greatly appreciate seeing Hungarian fans help out people who come from afar, I'm sure the people coming would do the same in return. I will collect what resources are available and people who truly confirm their intent on coming (by booking flights etc) should be given an opportunity to call some of the things available - but obviously everyone is free to decide who they will and won't help out.

Let's build an Offspring army!

In Hungarian:
    Magyar rajongók:
    Ha van köztetek olyan, aki tudna segíteni a külföldről érkező rajongóknak azzal, hogy nála alszanak vagy kimentek eléjük a reptérre, vagy segítetek nekik Budapesten a közlekedésben, a Szigetre érkezésben stb, akkor eljött az idő, hogy itt jelentkezzetek. Kérek mindenkit aki szándékozik segíteni az ebben a topicban jelezze. Szerintem nagyon klassz dolog lenne azt látni, hogy magyar rajongók segítenek azokon akik messziről jönnek ide, biztos vagyok benne, hogy azok akik jönnek ezt fordított helyzetben viszonoznák. Össze kellene ide gyűjteni az első posztba, hogy ki milyen "erőforrást" képes biztosítani a kintieknek és felajánlani azoknak akik tényleg bizonyítják a szándékaikat (pl repjegyet foglalnak ilyesmi), abban a sorrendben, ahogyan ezt teszik, és felajánlani nekik a lehetőséget - nyilván mindenki annak segít akinek akár, csak valami rendszert belevinni hogy ne legyen vita

Guys, this first post will be reserved for crucial info on what will be happening at the Sziget festival. Let's try to have a BBS meet up of some sort! Please if you are considering coming please post in this thread:
    Your intent to do so
    Your nationality
    The likeliness of you being present at the meet up (maybe/probably/ 1%, 90% 100% etc)

Who is coming?

People who have said they would be try to be there already (in ABC order of BBS username):

1) -L- (H) 100%
    2) Awesome_Avril () 100%
    3) Blitzkrieg Bop (ZA) maybe
    4) Capricorn4 (H) 100%
    5) christmas tree (PL) 93.5%
    6) dff_punk (SK) maybe
    7) Didi (SRB) 90%
    8) Grimesy da Offspringfan (H) 100%
    9) holland25 (SK) 100%
    10) iGustavo (BR) 1% - king of whishful thinking
    11) Isti (H) 100%
    12) Jesus (BE) maybe
    13) Joyce (H) 100%
    14) KoX (H) 100%
    15) Little_Miss_1565 (USA) perhaps
    16) Mike_911 (CDN) hopefully…
    17) Oxygene (H) Take a guess
    18) Rehynn (H) 100%
    19) RonWelty (P) DUD
    20) sipptaroowsky (HR) 100
    21) slagod (PL) maybe
    22) Steph (PL) maybe
    23) Szandi (H) 99%
    24) the_real_potomek (PL) almost sure
    25) Tijs (NL) 100%
    26) Tomasisko (SK) 99% because anything can happen

User group

I've created a user group, I am kindly asking everyone involved to join the user group so we have a quick way of discussing thing that might be too Off topic for the public here.
    link: Sziget 09 meet up group

Getting to Budapest

Some lowfare airlines flying to Budapest are:
    Ryanair
    Blue1
    JET2
    Air Berlin
    Wizz Air
    Easyjet
    Germanwings
    Air Lingus
    ClickAir
    SmartWings
    Norwegain Air Shuttle
    Meridiana

Keep in mind booking well ahead and staying a Saturday night you end up paying as much or a little less even sometimes with regular airlines. Most of the major European cities are serviced by the Hungarian airlines: www.malev.com with direct flights to Budapest, and chances are your own countries major airline will have direct or layover flights as well. Check them out.

Some of the airports / cities within reasonable distance are:

Vienna - Schwechat (VIE)
    Bratislava (BTS)
    Flybalaton (SOB)

Budapest's airport code is BUD

Getting around in Budapest

First off you either arrive at the Ferihegy 1 airport if you fly low fare or the Ferihegy 2 if you fly regular airlines. Both airpots are serviced by a number of mass transport buses, but to my understanding the "designated" airport bus is called 200E. Ferihegy 1 is also serviced by a trainstation which takes you downtown pretty quickly. If you choose the bus that'll take you to Kobanya Kispest which is the end of the line for Metro 3. That can take u downtown in a matter of minutes. This would be the cheapest option, a more expensive but comfortable option would be to get an airport shuttle. That'll take you to any address within Budapest for less than 10 EUR one way (if there is more than one person, and you purchase return trip services the prices go down significantly) chech out http://www.airportshuttle.hu/en_szallitasi_dijak.php.
    The reason it would make sense to take public transport is because you will probably end up using it a lot going to and coming from the Sziget festival and in and around the city, you are going to want to get one of these I think
    Three-day travel card 3 700 HUF ~ 12.5 EUR
    or a
    Seven-day travel card 4 400 HUF ~ 14.5 EUR
    These passes are valid for basically everything aside from trains and big yellow "long range" busses within Budapest city limits. So you can make it to and from the airport and to and from the festival as many times as you want from 12.5 EUR if you are on a budget. The homepage of the Hungarian transport services is this: ttp://www.bkv.hu/english/home/index.html but it's pretty much useless, there is a route planner which works really well it's only in Hungarian tho http://utvonal.bkv.hu/

The biggest benefit of public transport is that with the HEV (which is like "local train" or above ground subway of sorts) takes you almost all the way to the festival entrance. Infact it takes you as close as you can get by any means besides taxi. City taxi can take you in all the way to the festival grounds. This is their homepage: http://citytaxi.hu/index.php?l=en

You can also go by boat which goes from downtown, although I think that wasn't available last year, but who knows this year

Map - Google Map
    Here is a map which contains some of the crucial points within the city.
    LINK

A place to stay:
    Here is a list of places recommended by the Sziget: http://www.sziget.hu/festival_english/hotels/III
    If you want I can mark your hotel on the Sziget Google Map, and show that you are staying there if you wish!

Other artists
    Check the official website's program page here to get up to date info - I link the Hungarian version since they are lazy with other languages, but I'm sure you can recognize the names of bands non the less

Click here

A short list of other artists confirmed to play so far (as per 2009 april 4th):
    Mainstage (ca. 10 more bands to be announced + Day-0):
    - Snow patrol
    - The Kills
    - Prodigy
    - Fatboy Slim
    - Pendulum
    - Placebo
    - Ska-P
    - Bloc Party
    - Klaxons
    - Ting Tings
    - Die Toten Hosen
    - Coldcut
    - Squarepusher
    - Backyard Babies
    WAN2:
    - De Staat
    - Expetriate
    - Donots
    - The Kills
    - Digitalism
    - N&SK
    World Music Stage:
    - Brotherhood of Brass (Markovic + Frank London)
    - Khaled
    - Buena Vista Social Club
    - Haydamaky
    - Miloopa
    - Speed Caravan
    - Calexico
    - Figli Di Madre Ignota
    - So Kalmery
    - Tiken Jah Fakoly
    - Blasted Mechanism
    - Matatu

Tickets:
    http://www.sziget.hu/festival_english/ticket

I think buying the tickets in HUF before April 30th makes the most sense.. the EURO is very strong right now, so the weekly ticket is zirka 100 Euros for the non camping and 120 for the camping tickets. I'd be happy to get the tickets for anyone in advance. In Hungary you can also buy daily tickets in presale. Sometimes some days sell out then it's bye bye kansas. Daily tickets cost around 33 Euros.

Until 30th of April pre sale discount prices:
    Sleep at Home full pass 30 000 HUF
    Camp at Sziget full pass 37 500 HUF
    Daily ticket 10 000 HUF

From 1st of May at full prices:
    Sleep at Home full pass 37 500 HUF
    Camp at Sziget full pass 45 000 HUF
    Daily ticket 10 000 HUF

Official prices in EUR
    Non Camping ticket advance pre sale discount price 120 EUR
    Camping ticket adgance pre sale discount parice 150 EUR

HUF to EUR 301.65 (the higher this goes the cheaper it is for you to buy the tickets in HUF not Euros)

As you can see getting the tix in EUR to begin with is a lot more expensive right now!

Video

Here's a little taste of what the festival is like thanks to Ron Welty: Youtube
    Last edited by Oxygene; 07-16-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Cheap ticket offer

Dude, count me in

Haha your too close.. you better start searching for a car that doesn't fucking squeeek

I'm definitely going to think about it. Maybe a few of my roommates are going so I'll join in with them. Or I should try to force Jesus along, he'd better go after saying no to Berlin.
    * !

Jesus has to come.. I've offered him a place to sleep - I was overzealous because he wanted the band to come to the Sziget, and I'm probably not backing out

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygene View Post
    Haha your too close.. you better start searching for a car that doesn't fucking squeeek
    We already got one, but there's no way my parents are letting me take it abroad

EDIT: But I can totally take the Mazda to drive your ass from your house to Sziget

Quote Originally Posted by Rehynn View Post
    We already got one, but there's no way my parents are letting me take it abroad

EDIT: But I can totally take the Mazda to drive your ass from your house to Sziget
    I'm taking City Taxi.. very comfortable takes u all the way into the sziget

We should look into other options in neighbouring countries but that's not a Sziget topic.

The Sziget will likley be way too busy for me to help out people I can / have helped otherwise, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygene View Post
    Jesus has to come.. I've offered him a place to sleep - I was overzealous because he wanted the band to come to the Sziget, and I'm probably not backing out
    You've offered him a place to sleep and not me?
    * !

Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    You've offered him a place to sleep and not me?
    Well YOU didn't hope they would come to the Sziget fest :P But in all fairness you guys do go together so if both of you come then fine you can both stay with me. But I don't have anymore room.. the last person I can squeez in is Mike_911 but he won't come 'cause Britney Spears is playing in Mongolia then and he'd rather go there :P

edit:
    So you squeez a free place to stay out of me and ditch.. very nice
    Last edited by Oxygene; 03-25-2009 at 02:09 AM.

I'm thinking about it, I was dreaming about going to this festival and now the boys are playing there!! It will be an expensive trip...I don't understand the site so could you tell me how much are the tickets? if I go there I want to stay at least 3 days