Thread: Offspring cover band... need help with setlist

Red face Offspring cover band... need help with setlist

Hey, I'm making an Offspring cover band, Ive been an Offspring fan for 10 years now, and I know plenty of their songs (in every instrument, hehe), we've rehearsed for 4 times now, but I'm not sure about the setlist, the band's purpose is to play in a local bar/rock concert hall, like Hard Rock Live, so I included almost every single and a couple B sides that the fans would enjoy but I'm not so sure the regular audience will. Ok, here's the current setlist:

Hammerhead
    Original Prankster
    Want you bad
    All I want
    She's got issues
    Pretty Fly
    Kids aren't alright
    Come out and play
    Spare me the details**
    Gone Away
    Self Esteem
    Stuff is messed up**
    Why don't you get a job?

I'm thinking about these too:

You're gonna go far kid
    Kristy are you doing ok?**
    Hit that
    Can't get my head around you
    Can't repeat**
    Beheaded**
    Bad Habit**
    Trust in you

The ones with ** are songs my band doesn't think we should play at all (if it was for me, we would play all of 'em, but I think that an over an hour setlist would annoy the audience). Well, now I would appreciate if you guys help me out making up my mind with your suggestions, points of view and stuff. Thank you!

It depends a lot on the crowd/audience. If they're mostly regular and not big Offspring fans, you should play the hits/singles like you say. But of course also include staples like "All I Want" and "Bad Habit".
    I'm not sure about how "Gone Away" and "Kristy, are you doing okay?" will work in a cover-band, really. I don't mean any disrespect, but those songs will be hard to pull off when the feelings aren't genuine. (Or maybe you and your band know how to put a lot of emotions into them, then it might work).

Anyways.
    I would take out "Pretty Fly" and put in "Bad Habit". I would also remove "Why don't you get a job?" and put in "Hit that". Those are still hit-songs, but not songs that's been played to death.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand. I would of course make your whole set include Blackball, I'll be waiting, Denial revisited, Meaning of life, Session, Amazed, Elders, No Hero, aaand so on!

But seriously, good luck! Are you planning on recording any of these?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ramante View Post
    It depends a lot on the crowd/audience. If they're mostly regular and not big Offspring fans, you should play the hits/singles like you say. But of course also include staples like "All I Want" and "Bad Habit".
    I totally agree, man... its gonna be regular people

I'm not sure about how "Gone Away" and "Kristy, are you doing okay?" will work in a cover-band, really. I don't mean any disrespect, but those songs will be hard to pull off when the feelings aren't genuine. (Or maybe you and your band know how to put a lot of emotions into them, then it might work).
    I play with these guys since I was in junior High (except for the bassist, but he's cool!) , and The Off is our favorite band, so we have a lot of emotions going on here, especially on gone away, my father died 10 years ago, and when I discovered this song, man, just can't explain how it makes me feel...

Anyways.
    I would take out "Pretty Fly" and put in "Bad Habit". I would also remove "Why don't you get a job?" and put in "Hit that". Those are still hit-songs, but not songs that's been played to death.
    You're probably right about removing those, but I don't know, I really want to use a bubble machine with WdYgaJ? like in Woodstock '99, hehe...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand. I would of course make your whole set include Blackball, I'll be waiting, Denial revisited, Meaning of life, Session, Amazed, Elders, No Hero, aaand so on!
    Haha!! Someday...

But seriously, good luck! Are you planning on recording any of these?
    Of course!! I want to record one rehearsal and the event, then upload it to youtube!!

Thanks a lot for your advice!!
    -Chuck Berry is actually a blackberry...

Quote Originally Posted by steinberg View Post
    Off spring show is the most source of entertainment in the new generation.
    -Gotta love bots...

Good, post a link once you have some recordings!
    I wish there was an Offspring cover-band here, I've never seen them live so it would be the next-best thing! :P

Hmm, I don't think removing Pretty Fly is a good idea. If there's gonna be regular people at the show, this might be the only song some of them will know by The Offspring.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

Yeah, that one's a keeper, besides, I was thinking about asking one of my friends to be the "white guy", like on the Americana era, but I asked the bass player for his opinion and he said "no man, that would be totally lame... you should better get a couple of bitches to shake their arses on stage, like in the video!"... I guess that's a better idea, you can't make a good show without chicks!!

Good, post a link once you have some recordings!
    Oh yeah, I will, but not yet, we're still not ready, maybe in a couple of months, I want it to be perfect!

-Gotta love bots...

That's bullshit, man... Do you play for your pleasure or for the audience pleasure? Play what you want to... But:
    1. The Offspring plays all that hit songs and if they're coming in Mexico (as I suppose you live in), it's totally lame playing those songs. It' better to play songs that The Offspring doesn't play for years, so that's the solution, playing old songs from the first 3 albums.
    2. The audience is gonna know "Pretty Fly", maybe "Why Don't You Get A Job" or "Million Miles Away", "Original Prankster", or even "Come Out And Play"... that' all, 5 songs... 15 minutes approx.
    3. Would it be annoying to play Offspring songs for more than an hour? How long are you even supposed to play in that club? If they let you play for 3 hours, play for 3 hours! If they cut you to play only 30 minutes, then play only those "essential" Offspring tunes.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Relja View Post
    That's bullshit, man... Do you play for your pleasure or for the audience pleasure? Play what you want to...
    Guess you're right, I should play for my pleasure, but you know, we all have this dream of being rockstar for one night and I supposed that I could accomplish that goal if I please the audience, but you know what? Fuck that! I'll play whatever I want, that's why I'll include Bad Habit on the setlist

Quote Originally Posted by Relja View Post
    1. The Offspring plays all that hit songs and if they're coming in Mexico (as I suppose you live in), it's totally lame playing those songs.
    Dude, I wish they come to Mexico, it's been 10 years since they came, and I don't really think they are coming soon... maybe on the new album's support tour, who knows...

Thanks man, nice comment!

-Gotta love bots...