Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim lindberg from pennywise new band the black pacific

Quote Originally Posted by 0r4ng3 View Post
    I tried downloading it, only got the one song. How do I get the other?
    here you go

http://www.mediafire.com/?lenlki3ktny

TBP is releasing their self-titled debut album on September 14th.

http://www.punknews.org/article/38863

Quote Originally Posted by bouncingcoles View Post
    yes this is the same recycled riff we have heard a million times...
    I only heard this exact chord progression two times, and that is in this new song and As Long As We Can. The progression isn't anything particulary new, but the ending of it is something that stands out, and i only heard it in these two songs. Chord progressions in these two particular songs are exactly the same, the only difference is their pitch, and perhaps tempo/strumming pattern.

The news about their debut album is pretty good. I might actually look more into this band than what Pennywise might do next. I saw them live a while ago with Zoli, and they looked bored on the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor88 View Post
    I only heard this exact chord progression two times, and that is in this new song and As Long As We Can. The progression isn't anything particulary new, but the ending of it is something that stands out, and i only heard it in these two songs. Chord progressions in these two particular songs are exactly the same, the only difference is their pitch, and perhaps tempo/strumming pattern.

The news about their debut album is pretty good. I might actually look more into this band than what Pennywise might do next. I saw them live a while ago with Zoli, and they looked bored on the stage.
    im gonna check out both albums, keep in mind zoli is just singing jims parts which cant be easy given the amount of material!
    whenever i learn something new it pushes some old knowledge out of my brain, remember that home wine making course when i forgot how to drive?!

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    im gonna check out both albums, keep in mind zoli is just singing jims parts which cant be easy given the amount of material!
    I don't think you understand my point. Zoli had no problems singing the songs live, since vocally they aren't that hard. Hell, i'm not a great singer, but i can sing Pennywise songs without much problem. And it's not like they're playing every song from their entire catalog on every gig.

The problem was that they, as a band, looked bored on stage. The interaction with public was hardly more than just "Are you having a good time?", or Zoli asked Fletcher if he's enjoying, and he was just like "Yeah, i'm having a good time", which he said with a very bored voice. Randy (the bass player) didn't even want to say anything, he declined when they asked him to do so. However, that's not the main reason, i could care less about their interaction with the crowd. You just new something was missing, they were just playing their parts and nothing more. Like they wouldn't really care.

Oh well, maybe they were just having a bad day.
    Last edited by Rooster; 07-06-2010 at 03:36 PM.

From the interview (Jim Lindberg on the difference between recording experiences with Pennywise and The Black Pacific):

Couldn’t have been more different, there’s no question that about that. Fletcher and I butted heads a lot. We both felt very strongly about Pennywise and how it should sound, how the band should be run and so, it was kind of like two brothers trying to run a company together—we fought a lot. It just made it so the last album, I honestly knew that I would probably never do it again because I just had such an unhappy time in the studio. I love recording and I love writing music and it’s really frustrating when it doesn’t go well because that’s kind of like, what I live for—I love going in there and hearing the songs develop and I get a lot of enjoyment out of that process, and when it’s the opposite of that it just kills your spirit and when we had similar conflicts it made me realize that I had too much respect for the band to continue doing it when I wasn’t happy and that’s basically what—if anyone asks me what happened—I was unhappy doing it so it was time to move on for me.
    So, what was the official reason for leaving Pennwyise again? Being a "punk rock dad", wanting to spend more time with his family? My ass! Seems like the real reason is what he said in the quote above. And that's much more likely, since he didn't stay without a band for too long. I thought it would be something like this. Anyway, a good decision, i respect it.

And i'm getting excited about The Black Pacific debut, more than what Pennywise does next actually. Especially after reading this:
    Yeah, probably song two, “When It’s Over,” just for the fact that, I think when people hear the first song, “The System,” they’re like, “Okay, that’s Jim’s voice and the same sort of guitar…he’s just doing more Pennywise,” but I think that when you hear track two you can’t say that, and then later on there are other songs where it’s like—I think there are three songs that I did in drop D tuning, so I really tried to mix it up a little bit and there’s one song that has kind of a Clash vibe—that’s what I look forward to on the next record—I’m going to experiment even more, not the type of experimenting that a lot bands talk about where that means they’re going to put out a really weird, freaky, stupid album (laughs), I mean the type of experimenting where I want to pull in some of the influence of bands that I really like, bands like Pegboy and Jawbreaker—I’m a big fan of like, power-pop and stuff like that, I’m just excited about that prospect.
    If they really try to do something different than Pennywise, i'm all for it
    Last edited by Rooster; 07-21-2010 at 04:35 AM.

here is the cover art and tracklisting

1 The System
    2 When It's Over
    3 Living With Ghosts
    4 Time Is Not The Reason
    5 Almost Rising
    6 Kill Your Idols
    7 Defamer
    8 Ruinator
    9 Put Down Your Weapons
    10 No Purpose
    Last edited by cool 2 hate 681; 07-21-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bouncingcoles View Post
    yes this is the same recycled riff we have heard a million times but the new offspring song all around sounds like times like these. like almost every part in the song. i dont really care honestly but i think people are just in denial cause its offspring and they are afraid to criticize their own favorite band.
    try not to think then.. it seems to really not be working out for you

id just noticed they were touring europe soon which sureprised me given the alledged reasons for leaving pennywise but then read the interview which cleared things up. sounds almost like a bit too much of a fairy tale the way it all just came together but i look for ward to seeing them on tour!
    whenever i learn something new it pushes some old knowledge out of my brain, remember that home wine making course when i forgot how to drive?!