Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Am I becoming a complete asshole?

Shit, I went on holiday and totally forgot about this thread. I may or may not write a long winded reply, depending on if anyone has actually written anything to me, and wether or not I care enough to respond.
    http://soundcloud.com/ciaran-lyttle
    I did it all for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

Yes, yes you are

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    You may call me an agnostic... I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being.
    Oh shit. Us middle-of-the-roaders got the big E=MC^2 on our side.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

how can you accept ideals and philosophies as facts and call religions fiction? (they're all the same thing, and none of them are "real"). sometimes an idealogical (political) debate is just a far less interesting way to use a story to illustrate a point.

I think atheism is a drag... if you don't want to argue about religion, don't argue about it, talk about it... if you fill your head with clatter about how ridiculous worshipping sun gods and elephants and carpenters is it will bar you from techniques, insights, and stories that can/will open doors in you that don't even exist yet.

"deny only gods fashioned by men in their own image to be servants of their human interests."
    Last edited by calichix; 11-04-2010 at 03:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I like women who enjoy being dissatisfied sexually.

Well, most of the time we don't even think about how all those "carpenters" are dragging us back. Though i admit, i do find people that are overly religious very annoying, and i do find the whole concept of religion pretty much outdated. I don't give much attention to it though, but still more than i should (considering i'm replying in this thread again). Most of us just live their lives normally and don't bother thinking about god(s), unless we're reminded of them.

And i don't see any moral lesson that i could have learned from The Bible that i hadn't already learned from my parents, teachers and so on. It's not like morality would be gone without that one man-written book anyway.

As for talking about religion, it always turns into an argument. ALWAYS.

edit: Fuck it, misunderstood the previous post, so i'm deleting/editing the bit of this post that was practically useless. Damn, i really DO need to get some sleep...
    Last edited by Rooster; 11-04-2010 at 03:48 PM.

if there's no hunger in you for spiritual exploration, and you're not interested in how other people find spiritual fulfillment, then whatev. it's not your thing. but it's unnecesary to have a tude about it.

and no it doesn't, unless you're a dogmatic retard. observe:

John: shit Adnan, I am so stressed out.
    Adnan: well John, when I'm stressed I think of this awesome verse from the Kaivalyopanishad that says, "Meditating on the lotus of your heart, in the center is the untainted; the exquisitely pure, clear, and sorrowless." and try to focus on my center.
    John: that's pretty cool. The Bible says "God is not a God of confusion but one of peace and a sound mind," it's interesting how your religion puts similar value on mental clarity. What religion to you subscribe to, Walter?
    Walter: Well guys, I think that all religions are puzzle pieces to understanding, but I'm not sure if there's a higher power.
    Adnan: Interesting PLEASE ELABORATE.

ps: just now bothering to read the rest of this thread. per, you are brilliant and I'm going to jack like 20 of your points the next time I'm in one of these "militant atheism is annoying" conversations.
    Last edited by calichix; 11-05-2010 at 01:27 AM.

My attitude is more directet towards overly religious people than religion itself, though i do find religion pretty much useless. The way i see it, it's just a very outdated system, which once helped explaining things that people couldn't understand due to their lacking knowledge. An early form of science, perhaps. But since 20.000 years ago (perhaps more, i don't think it's known when the first religions or cults started) things have changed and religion can't be used like that anymore.

But when it comes to overly religious people, i usually tend to defend atheism with passion. When it comes to a point when those pricks just ignore all the facts and try to prove they are right in ways that make you wonder if their IQ is any higher than Oymyakon's air temperature in January, then it's hard not to get a bit "militant" about your beliefs. Though when it comes to that point you know you've lost the battle. It's pricks like that that bother me the most, probably more than religion itself. The second kind of "religious" people that bother me are those, who only go to church so that they could gossip about others, badmouth their neigbours, conspire against whom they dislike and so on. And they pray every day, to show how good people they are, while their other actions show they're hardly worth to be called human beings. I know too many of those assholes, and coincidentally, each of those assholes is very religious (or maybe they just pretend to be to boost their social status). I'm not saying all religious people are like that, but the majority that i know are indeed like that.

In a perfect world, there would be a religious debate that wouldn't turn into an argument. But in real world, it's hard for it not to become an argument, especially when you have two sides with such opposing views involved.
    Last edited by Rooster; 11-05-2010 at 03:24 AM.

if that's all you've experienced of religious people you need to get out more.

for instance: go to a thai buddhist community breakfast, sit in on a hindu meditation, hug a big sweet cuddly quaker, eat dinner with a muslim, sing songs with a sufi, go to a jewish wedding and dance..
    Last edited by calichix; 11-05-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Yep, i need to get out more. Luckilly there are hindu and buddhist groups meditating on corners of every street i can think of, and jews are dancing on the pavements. It's not like Christianity is the main religion where i live.

Ok, joke aside, i know you meant to say to broaden my horizons with knowledge of other religions and their way of life, but i don't think you really need to be religious in order to achieve your inner peace or something, and you certainly don't have to be religious to meditate.

and you don't have to be religious to enjoy religion.