Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best album of the year so far?

Default Best album of the year so far?

For me, the Joanna Newsom and Broken Social Scene albums were amazing. They've been getting a lot of spins in this house.

The Titus Andronicus record "The Monitor" is also incredibly awesome and I'd imagine punk-rock enough to be on most of your radars. Here's their video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fqHr_KGPY It's really good.

What has been blowing your mind for the last 8 months?

Top five for me right now:

The Menzingers - Chamberlain Waits
    Off With Their Heads - In Desolation
    Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
    Flatliners - Cavalcade
    Against Me! - White Crosses

Titus Andronicus has been recommended to me by a couple buddies, and i really dug that song you posted, i'll have to check them out: they've got a sort of Nothington meets Loved Ones vibe about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

I actually really liked the recent Broken Social Scene album, despite the few songs I heard by them over the years mostly leaving me cold. The new Devo was thoroughly enjoyable. The Janelle Monae album was pretty solid. I feel like I'm forgetting some others that came out this year. The Gorillaz album was a bit of a let down, and the Big Boi, while mostly decent, isn't as good as the better stuff by Outkast. I'm looking forward to the Nevermen album and the upcoming Grinderman album. Kind of the new Swans as well since I got way more into the Melvins lately which prompted me to give them another go, and I like them more now than I did on passing listen like 5-6 years ago. I was supposed to have gotten the box set for Alan Moore's multimedia project, Unearthing, sometime last month but shipping was delayed due to vinyl printing issues. I get the feeling that's either going to be amazing or boring background music.

Deftones - Diamond Eyes
    The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis
    Eels - End Times
    Fatso Jetson - Archaic Volumes
    The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
    How to Destroy Angels - How to Destroy Angels
    Yawning Man - Nomadic Pursuits

In no particular order... oh wait, hah, it's chronological!
    Don´t take life too seriously... you’ll never escape it alive anyway

I was curious about the new Deftones. I've only ever heard White Pony and a few stray tracks from their other albums, but the fact that they did a pretty decent Drive Like Jehu cover as a b-side for the new one got my interest piqued.

Contra by Vampire Weekend is still getting spins constantly.
    Alkaline Trio's new one is pretty awesome (This Addiction)
    Beach House's "teen Dream" is great to listen to at night while you're walking home drunk and/or high from a friends house.
    I like Big Boi's album
    BEST COAST!!! fucking christ that thing is awesome. fuzzy as shit happy pop music making me almost wish i lived in cali... ALMOST
    "Rohern Park" by Ceremony... MY GOD THAT THING IS INTENSE!
    Diamond Eyes by Deftones is fucking bomb in my opinion if you liked White Pony you'd dig Diamond Eyes.
    Havent picked it up yet but the Danger MOuse and Sparklehorse album is pretty chill.
    Calvacade by the Flatliners is a great granted i figured everyone knew that
    oh and "They Came From the Shadows" by Teenage Bottlerocket is fucking sick.
    shit totally forgot about Volume 2 by She and Him. I wanna murder the dude from death cab so i can marry Zoey. she is a goddess.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

The Best Album of 2010 until today is "LOVE" by Angels & Airwaves (Tom DeLonge, Atom Willard, David Kennedy, Matt Wrechter)
    Download for free from their site: http://modlife.com/angelsandairwaves/love
    Last edited by MAXTER; 08-02-2010 at 01:59 AM.

I haven't got any new stuff at all in the last few months, so I really don't know. But for me it's been Kate Nash's My Best Friend is You

Quote Originally Posted by Retard View Post
    Alkaline Trio's new one is pretty awesome (This Addiction)
    that gets my vote as best of the year so far

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been keeping up with this years recent albums. Only album I've heard this year is the new Coheed and Cambria. I am looking forward to several album late this year, early next year. I want to get White Crosses, that looks like a good album.