Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obsessive Inner Monologue.

Default Obsessive Inner Monologue.

You ever try and go to sleep only to find you can't?

It's late, you've had a few beers/a glass of milk/gotten high, or whatever your preferred method of relaxation is, and you're lying in bed. The lights are off, you're comfortable and - depending on your situation - your boyfriend/girlfriend/companion/lover/cat/awful empty space is already sleeping contentedly. You lie back, close your eyes and... your mind continues to go insane.

You work out plans for the next day. You think about what you've read, seen, or listened to during the day. You analyze the ways in which you could have done something better, or could do something worse in the future. You think about the ways you could make your schedule more effective. You wonder what it would be like to have a kid and how you'd convince them to take medication. You mentally invent a new dish you proudly label Mac N Cheese Deluxe. You write out plot points and new melodies with counterharmonies. Disconnected stanzas float through your head and a bizarre mash-up of Metric and The Doors becomes your sudden fixation. And it just won't stop.

It takes me, on average, a full hour of lying in the dark to get to sleep. I've gotten used to it and even appreciate the kind of mental calisthenics my brain seems to have prepared for me when I go lie down. But at a certain point I want to sleep, and there's something about the way I function that won't let me do that, at least not right away. There's always another problem or another idea behind the one I've just unraveled, and I can't stop the flow - I wouldn't even know where to begin - until I get so caught up in it that I get distracted and fall asleep.

It's hardly a complaint. I get plenty of sleep, but most of that is caused by simply waking up in the morning and deciding to close my eyes again until there's a PM on a clock. "That's a problem for the Thibault that wakes up tomorrow." However, it is a chronic occurence and I was wondering if anyone here has the same experience.

Not insomnia - to refer to what happens to me (aside from the odd occasion when I can't sleep until 8 or 9 AM) by that name trivializes it - but rather a persistent and overwhelming tendency to continue working through your own thoughts. It isn't any different from what I do during the day, but you'd think I'd run out of stimuli to overexamine by the time my head hit the pillow.

Perhaps I'm just crazy. I think I might be cool with that answer too. For now I think I'll just head to bed. Night.
    Last edited by T-6005; 09-15-2010 at 12:20 AM.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

All the time. I usually watch shows on my computer until I fall asleep now days because it takes me forever to just lay down and sleep. A lot of the time, I think about death, the endlessness of space, and God. Most the rest of the time, I'm totally motivated, and I work out ways I can make myself better. I'm like 'yeah, starting tomorrow, I'll do all this stuff. Then it will be a habit!' That never happens. I think about relationships a lot, but I think that goes along with making all these grand plans for myself that I never stick too.
    I wrote a four word letter.

I was pretty sure everyone who wasn't on the brink of passing out while standing did this. But probably not everyone is thinking of something intelligent and interesting when they do it.

Drunk right now, so pardon my typing. Yeah, all the time. I find it funny how most of my story writing requires a bed, whether I'm trying to sleep or dreaming. Odd, it seems, but eh.

I also write lyrics and melodies as well, but I do not have the proper equipment to put down what I have in my head. Frustrating, but I manage.

I get this all the time, although I haven't really thought about it till' now,
    I tend to write songs and invent new drum fills, and think of all the things ive done that day and imagine them in different scenarios. I also get this thing where everything I think about distorts and "warps" (Thats the best way to put it) its really trippy and its happened to me as far as I can remember.

It's hard to explain, its like every image that pops up into my head, it warps and gets bigger and smaller and shit and its uncontrollable!, its fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by lousyskater View Post
    the offspring pretty much copied the vandals song too much drama.

http://killamedic.bandcamp.com/releases
    A new era of punk rock, and a hotplate!
    But seriously, check out this band, if you're on the BSS, you'll love em!

Honestly, you literally just described my average bed time, like completely spot on.

I've always thought, after doing psychology for a year long course, that maybe I had something wrong with me, because your brain is supposed to do that *after* you fall asleep, work through your problems, and review situations etc. and then I can very very rarely ever remember dreaming, so I think I actually work through my shit while I'm conscience, and only when I come to a satisfactory conclusion on whatever issues my brain throws at me, then can I fall asleep. My girlfriend also falls asleep the second her head hits the pillow
    Last edited by mrconeman; 09-15-2010 at 09:52 AM.
    http://soundcloud.com/ciaran-lyttle
    I did it all for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

My awful empty space always falls asleep before I do.

Thibault, what you have described is my sleeping pattern in a nutshell, however only on a Sunday night. This would result in me having about 2 to 3 hours sleep because I need to get up at 6:00 am. It has frustrated me to no end and I have even tried to clear my mind and count sheep, but it doesn’t work. I find myself constantly looking at my alarm clock to watch the minutes pass by ... slowly. I have no idea why this only happens on a Sunday as for the rest of the week, I fall asleep 5 or 10 minutes after my head hits the pillow.

I agree with what Omni said, most likely we've all had moments like these.

I do have problem with getting into sleep, but it's not because my mind can't stop thinking or analysing, well... if song that is stuck in my head and keep rotating until sleep replaces consciousness (and next morning I wake up with the same song yet again) doesn't qualify as some form of the "obsessive inner monologue"; it's insomnia in my case I guess - I have to wait quite a bit (from half to two hours) for sleep to kick in, usually without any big brainstorming.

There's one of early stages of sleep when your pulse and breath getting slower and steadier and you start to see and hear puzzle of random things (dream fragments?) yet you are still partially awake, just usually too relaxed to keep track of what's going on and don't remember what you saw a moment ago. I love these moments, it's sort of triumph of finally falling into sleep. But I guess it's the whole different thing.
    Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?

I get this all the time, sometimes I watch some cartoon to clean my mind from thinking. If that does not work and I think about just anything that happened in the cartoon, I know that going to sleep will be troubleful. And, the deeplier I think, the more I am awake. But it is really not easy to switch from deeper thoughts to easy, not-so-aware-that-I-am-thinking-of-anything thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Free? View Post
    There's one of early stages of sleep when your pulse and breath getting slower and steadier and you start to see and hear puzzle of random things (dream fragments?) yet you are still partially awake, just usually too relaxed to keep track of what's going on and don't remember what you saw a moment ago. I love these moments, it's sort of triumph of finally falling into sleep. But I guess it's the whole different thing.
    Yeah I love this, usually when I experience this, I am happy because that means I will fall asleep soon
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.