Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dear BBS

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    As I'm turning 24 I've realized something.

I feel the same as I did in high school. However I can't seem to tolerate anyone that age. They just get on my nerves.

They just seem dumber than they should be.

I know what you mean, I'm 22, and I feel pretty much the same way. I also don't really feel an attraction to girls who look like they may be in high school. I just naturally expect them to have interests I think are really stupid or something like that, and it really lowers my interest.

I'm sure I'm being way more judgmental and/or generalizing more than I have a right to. It's not like I'm a genius or have refined tastes or something. I guess it just doesn't take very many years for your interests and life priorities to mature and change drastically. Five or six years doesn't seem like a long time, but the mind of yourself at 21 and yourself at 17 make you pretty much an entirely different person.

I'm approaching 29 and I feel perhaps a little different than I did at 18, but not much. It didn't start to kick in at all until my mid-twenties. Working full time and seeing my friends less because they moved further away and our schedules don't match etc. I'm just starting to think of myself as a grown-up now that 30 is in sight and I can't say I really approve. Being a full decade removed from my teenage self is a surreal concept.

I tend to think of anyone around 23 or younger as a kid now. They look so young. Anyone younger than 20 is just obnoxious. None of this is probably helped by the fact that I spend most of my time with people older than me.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    As I'm turning 24 I've realized something.

I feel the same as I did in high school. However I can't seem to tolerate anyone that age. They just get on my nerves.

They just seem dumber than they should be.
    I feel that way about everything. kids shows then vs. kids shows now, music then vs music now, "general knowledge" then vs "general knowledge" now, the vocabulary used in the movies...

sometimes I think that every year young people are getting exponentially more retarded, but then I reflect on 1999. :\
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I like women who enjoy being dissatisfied sexually.

It's absurd to think that any one generation got it "right" when it came to good media and passtimes, but every generation seems to think they're the one. I'd like to think I don't shun everything new, but I certainly don't welcome any new gimmick or gadget with the open arms I would have as a kid. Maybe it's just in adult nature to become more critical of what's proposed as the next big thing, while still keeping the nostalgia of what was big when you were a kid. So we all know the theory that everyone else is getting dumber with each year is probably a crock.

Like I see this "When I was a kid, we had Kenan and Kel, not Drake and Josh" shit on Facebook all the time. Both of those shows are fucking horrid, who are we kidding here?

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    It's absurd to think that any one generation got it "right" when it came to good media and passtimes, but every generation seems to think they're the one. I'd like to think I don't shun everything new, but I certainly don't welcome any new gimmick or gadget with the open arms I would have as a kid. Maybe it's just in adult nature to become more critical of what's proposed as the next big thing, while still keeping the nostalgia of what was big when you were a kid. So we all know the theory that everyone else is getting dumber with each year is probably a crock.

Like I see this "When I was a kid, we had Kenan and Kel, not Drake and Josh" shit on Facebook all the time. Both of those shows are fucking horrid, who are we kidding here?
    When I was a kid, Kenan was playing in Mighty Ducks 2...and THAT was great.

Anyway, I feel pretty much the same.

Except that when I see kids with Helys shoes, I close my eyes and wish I go back to 12 year old just so I can get a pair of those and don't look ridiculous.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

I'm 19 and I can't stand most people my age and certainly can't stand most people younger than me. We don't share many interests, and as far as general knowledge, it's nonexistent. I was talking to a girl the other day about geography and I brought up a map. She pointed at Africa and was like 'so, this is Asia, right?', she thinks China is it's own continent, Spain is in South America, Uruguay is in Spain, and God knows what else. Then a few days later, she says 'I'm pretty much and infant when it comes to geology', oh man. I was listening to the radio, kids who are 15-16 years old right now, don't know what the Cold War was, who Nirvana are, who the Vice President is, or really anything at all for that matter.

The good news is, teenage pregnancy is at a 65 year low, or something like that. Even still, I know maybe 6 girls my age or younger who are pregnant or already have a kid.
    I wrote a four word letter.

I feel like this will fit in this thread and where discussion went to.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Turner

Photosynthesis

Well I guess I should confess that I am starting to get old
    All the latest music fads all passed me by and left me cold
    All the kids are talking slang I won't pretend to understand
    All my friends are getting married, mortagages and pension plans
    And it's obvious my angry adolescent days are done
    And I'm happy and I'm settled in the person I've become
    But that doesn't mean I'm settled up and sitting out the game
    Time may change alot but some things may stay the same

And I won't sit down
    And I won't shut up
    And most of all I will not grow up
    And I won't sit down
    And I won't shut up
    And most of all I yeah I won't grow up

Oh maturity's a wrapped up package deal so it seems
    And ditching teenage fantasy means ditching all your dreams
    All your friends and peers and family solomnly tell you you will
    Have to grow up be an adult yeah be bored and unfulfilled
    Oh when no ones yet explained to me exactly what's so great
    About slaving 50 years away on something that you hate, about meekly shuffling down the path of mediocrity
    Well if that's your road then take it but it's not the road for me

And I won't sit down
    And I won't shut up
    And I won't sit down
    And I won't shut up
    And most of all I yeah I won't grow up
    And I won't sit down
    And I won't shut up

And if all you ever do with your life
    Is just photosynthesize
    Then you deserve every hour of these sleepless nights
    That you waste wondering when you're gonna die

Now I'll play and you sing
    The perfect way for the evening to begin
    Now I'll play and you sing
    The perfect way for the evening to begin

And I won't sit down
    And I won't shut up
    And most of all yeah I won't grow up
    Before you speak think about what you're trying to say.
    Who else is there to blame for miscommunication?

Of course kids are getting dumber. They aren't required to behave or work hard in school to learn things, because if they aren't immediately good at, let's say, geography ~ "Oh that must not be their forte, they are such a free spirit!" Then you get screaming kids running around a bakery, climbing on the furniture like its a jungle gym, and a hand full of parents who just don't give a shit because they don't want to dampen said spirit. And if you have the temerity to complain, you're the bad guy for creating a not family friendly environment. I understand that the cake you are ordering is for your child, but I shouldn't have to talk over their screaming to make sure your order is correct. They shouldn't be there. A toddler can't finish one of those cupcakes on their own anyway, so why in the fuck are they there?

I just stand there dumbfounded. When I was a little kid, if I started fussing, my parents took me out of the public venue and kick my butt if i didn't shut up. There was no "reasoning" with me or my siblings. How people honestly believe that you can reason with a 3 year old is beyond me. "Billy, mommy can't order your cake with you screaming like that." "BUT I WANT A CUPCAKE" "Well if you'll just hold on for a couple of minutes, mommy will get you one. Just let me finish this order." "AHHHGHHGHGHG CUPCAKE AHAHAHA WANT ONE! AHGGHGHGHHH" "I'm sorry about that, just ignore him. Where were we?" "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

The same rules applied to homework and studying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

New Hampshire is doing away with mid-terms and finals. This stuff always makes me angry. 'Well, it makes the stupider kids feel stupid', fuck that, they need to feel stupid. They do it with sports and stuff too. Stop rewarding mediocrity, apathy, idiots, and losers.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Wtf? How are the stupid kids supposed to figure out that they need to study?
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.