Thread: Taking Yourself Too Seriously?

Default Taking Yourself Too Seriously?

I just finished the 13th Trade Paperback volume of Fables. Great, great comic – at least until this little crossover. My god, what an inane piece of shit.
    It might be due to my insane dislike of general crossovers. I feel that Peter David is constantly victimized by other jackass morons who feel the need to put a bunch of characters on the page at the same time. I'm well aware that Fables is written by Bill Willingham – just wanted to give a Peter David shoutout! Maybe he's used to it – I love anyone who describes themselves as “a guy who writes stuff.” He reminds me of PIB, weirdly.
    But maybe I take myself too seriously.

I've been thinking about it recently. It's hard not to take yourself seriously at an entirely basic level – to do otherwise is not only to invite an extreme dose of absurdism into your life, it's downright nihilistic.
    That last sentence was too thinky, I thinky. General idea, capital point – where did this need to be taken seriously come from? It's like all of a sudden we can't laugh at the ludicrous ties that bind us, the rules that are somehow forced upon us.
    I work for a company that works for a company – this company (the latter) takes twelve to fourteen business days to reconnect a customer. That's in 2010. Let me tell you, they're a hell of a lot quicker to disconnect. Now, this wouldn't be so downright weird if they weren't simultaneously hell-bent on getting every fuck dumb enough to sign up for the service stuck between four walls and a dead phone line within the week. It's like Saw, but without the saw and there are a million more sequels.
    Nor do I mean that we shouldn't laugh at ourselves – there's an entirely different set of assumptions that comes into play when we're the ones laughing at something we have noticed, and realizing that some weirdo jackass just over the horizon just came in his pants over it.
    Does anyone read these? I really thought Drunken Zuihitsu IV was fun.
    Anyway, back on point. At some point, you're bound to get tired of asking that most sophomoric of questions: “What is the meaning of life?” and you're going to laugh at it. Unless you are the most uptight, homo erectus fucker that ever walked the earth and think you know already, of course. In which case you fall above the thread heading. If you ask that question early, you might be too young to deal with “we don't know.”
    I sometimes feel that anyone over fifty must hate the everloving shit out of that question.

Mmmm, so I was just rereading the beginning of this thread for the first time and I decided to start the “Who does someone famous/well-known/more-well-known-than-me remind me of?” Fun game!

So, I think we covered that Richard reminds me of Peter David. Don't be fooled – that'll easily be the best one.
    No, wait, this one is super weird – jackknife makes me think of David Cross meets Bill Hicks who then abandons standup in favor of hanging out on the internet.
    I think that's about it. Maybe I should take requests? For the most part, I just can't remember who hangs out on the forest anymore. That's probably a sad statement, somehow.

PS - Richard, I know you asked for more threads. So until I come up with something better, this is for you: .
    Last edited by T-6005; 10-02-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Apostrophe'd
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

I never take myself seriously. Life's too short to take things serious in my opinion. Of course, there are situations in which you need to keep a straight face and not find anything funny about it.

But I always keep a happy demeanor for myself and those around me.

Good, thought provoking post, by the way. I'd make a more fulfilling response, but my mind is set on a video game at the moment and I must play.

I don't know Fables, I don't know any name you mentioned, I don't know Drunken Jujitsu and I don't want to look anything up.

Do I take myself seriously? Most of the time, yes, I don't see anything wrong with that.

The weirdo jackass who came in his pants over the horizon because of some companies who pull money out of their customers - well, I don't think about it this way. Who wants to stop companies from recieving money they don't deserve? It's sad but we just don't care about it anyway.
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

I was thinking about this recently T. As in, about 3 hours ago.

I remembered how easy life was when I had stopped taking myself seriously; I literally dissolved into the background of my high school. I was a voyeur; watching the world happen around me at an arm's length and finding nothing but humor on the stage as people, so deeply self-involved, tried to interact with each other, like binary star systems, entangled in their own gravitational pulls.

Then, when I got to college, in an attempt to make friends, I dropped all the barriers that kept me sane. And now, two years later, I'm, once again, an emotional wreck. Every small failure is like some crushing defeat, every little mistake, a blemish that I should've seen and stopped long ago. There's a point where taking yourself seriously is important to push you forward somewhere that you couldn't achieve otherwise, but there's some threshold where it will drag you just as far down as being a shell of a person will.

It's a basic human need to feel like you've done something worth noting in this world; it's completely backwards and utterly crazy, but the people we revere are the people whose names more people know than they, the celebrities, know. This human agenda for fame or fortune or whatever is what drives us all to strive for promotions, and it's that same entity that tortures every one of us when we're shot down by our respective bosses. It's our proverbial carrot and our proverbial stick.

Sorry, here's a joke:

Michael Bluth: Are you serious?
    Wayne Jarvis: Almost always. I was once voted the worst audience participant Cirque Du Soleil ever had.

Well, part of what I was doing was emphasizing the downfall of either position. In the end, if you don't take yourself or anything else seriously, you can laugh until you cry or scream, and you're still covering up an unshakable lack of faith in existence. If you can't trust yourself at all, and you can't trust those around you, then what good is... anything, really?

On the other hand, taking the Thinker's stance might be beneficial in some aspects of your - or anyone's - life that you can look at twice, consider, and maybe find some value to. The danger in that, of course, is cheapening the value of any other conclusions - including the absurd. In point of fact, quite often the beliefs of others seem the pinnacle of absurdity. "Clearly the sky doesn't rain grapes," you exclaim.

I don't even know what I'm saying anymore - my brain stopped working since I got my degree.

Can there be a middle ground? If you think about it logically, then the middle ground rests in the idea of having beliefs while being willing to question those beliefs. Accepting that, however, means that you're willing to say "Sure, what I hold to be true no longer makes sense," and that is the kind of explosively enlightening intellectual experience reserved for Christian teens who suddenly embrace atheism and run it into the ground and manic street preachers who aren't members of the band. It just doesn't happen.

I feel that I have vaguely defined political convictions that have no applicability in the real world. I partly feel that way because I hold that the government's single duty is to take care of its people. Exposed to the real world, my conviction is ludicrous. Apparently. Also, I've been following the Toronto mayoral elections and I've never seen such immature, self-aggrandizing schlock-slingers. Every time there is an election, it's depressing to realize that half of it is less emotionally mature than an episode of Jersey Shore.

How do you take that seriously? It's absurd. I've refused to vote in every election I've been eligible for, blank ballot included. I've had my parents and other family ask me why I didn't send in that blank ballot - it's because it doesn't accomplish anything. It doesn't tell people that I don't think there's a worthwhile choice - it just allows for the possibility that I took a few minutes out of my day to say nothing. If there were a clause somewhere that with enough blank ballots versus actual votes for candidates (50%) or something the election would have to start all over, then we'd be cooking with <insert something that it is socially appropriate and cool to cook with>.

But asked, every time I will tell you what I think the highest duty of government is. I just don't have a plan. In the same way that I can't help but simultaneously laugh at and bemoan these moronic mayoral candidates, I can't imagine being seriously challenged on my own base assumptions about the world. The furthest I'm willing to go is to wonder why that is.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Can there be a middle ground? If you think about it logically, then the middle ground rests in the idea of having beliefs while being willing to question those beliefs. Accepting that, however, means that you're willing to say "Sure, what I hold to be true no longer makes sense," and that is the kind of explosively enlightening intellectual experience reserved for Christian teens who suddenly embrace atheism and run it into the ground and manic street preachers who aren't members of the band. It just doesn't happen.
    I think Tim Minchin answered this whole topic perfectly in his 9-minute beat-poem/rant, "Storm."

From 8:20~ish:

"Here's what gives me a hard-on: I am a tiny, insignificant, ignorant bit of carbon. I have one life, and it's short and unimportant, but thanks to recent scientific advances, I get to live *twice as long* as my great great great great uncleses and auntses. Twice as long to live this life of mine, twice as long to love this wife of mine, twice as many years of friends...and getting shitty at good-looking hippies with fairies on their spines and butterflies on their titties. And if perchance, I have offended, think but this and all is mended: We'd as well be ten minutes back in time for all the chance you'll change your mind."
    It makes sense in context
    Last edited by Static_Martyr; 10-02-2010 at 11:26 PM.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    Well, part of what I was doing was emphasizing the downfall of either position. In the end, if you don't take yourself or anything else seriously, you can laugh until you cry or scream, and you're still covering up an unshakable lack of faith in existence. If you can't trust yourself at all, and you can't trust those around you, then what good is... anything, really?
    This first paragraph reveals the most about you.

What a government is good for, how immature Jersey Shore and politicians are and what the Manic Street Preachers and their until now disappearing member have to do with explosively enlightening intellectual experiences I can only guess. At least what you are aiming at with this probably rethorical text phrases.
    Quote Originally Posted by coke_a_holic View Post
    Then, when I got to college, in an attempt to make friends, I dropped all the barriers that kept me sane. And now, two years later, I'm, once again, an emotional wreck. Every small failure is like some crushing defeat, every little mistake, a blemish that I should've seen and stopped long ago. There's a point where taking yourself seriously is important to push you forward somewhere that you couldn't achieve otherwise, but there's some threshold where it will drag you just as far down as being a shell of a person will.
    Luckily I don't have these kind of problems. In my opinion it has nothing to do with how serious you take yourself.
    What barriers did you drop? Do you mean behavior like fake sympathy?
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

I mean the opposite of fake sympathy: a barrier where the world could not enter, and I was some shell of a person who just wandered through to see the outcomes of peoples' decisions. After a year, I was tired of being distant to life and decided to actually become a part of it all again again and it worked, but all I can think when I catch myself acting like a rational human is that I should know better. But I can't go back to the distance of voyeurism; it took a lot of willpower to turn myself into a person whose life has virtually no meaning except for to gather information and observe. I don't think I could go through that again.

T: I believe that the truest middle ground is the ability to transfer back and forth between activity and passivity when the time is right. Which, as I outlined above, I think is completely impossible. I can't do it! I am now one of those people that takes himself too seriously and I can't beat myself out of my own submission.

I was one called the worst audience participant Cirque Du Soleil ever had.