Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fucked?

Default fucked?

So I just moved into this new apartment recently. It's a great place. The kind of great that is irreplaceable. The kind of great that should cost twice as much. Frankly, it shouldn't even be a rental. This place is so fuckin cool it should be converted into condos or a bigass house. I got really lucky, and I'm not moving.

One problem. The landlord downstairs, she complains about every noise. I've been there. an eighth of an inch of cork under some tile does nothing. She hears my ever footstep.

I make people walk around in socks and barefeet, even in the winter. I've laid down one cheap area rug after another to cover my brand new tile. I don't have many people over, I'm rarely playing loud music or tv during the night, frankly I'm a good tenant. But the complaints are a concern, and I don't want to be hated or even booted.

Is there anything you can reccomend to reduce the noise even more? Ultimately this problem is structural but I'd like to be able to have more than a few people over occasionally and worry less about noise. When you're keeping it at a reasonable level and your landlord says you're too loud, something has to be done.

?
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    If I had the power, I would finally grant your wish to be polls moderator. With no voting rights. Like the Washington DC of modship.
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyoff
    do you have boobs??? because in your picture it looks like you have. are you a boy or a girl?

Rockingham, North Carolina, United States

Maybe foam laid under the rugs would help

You make people take off their shoes? Why would you have people walking with their dirty shoes in your place any way?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

i'd say... explain to the landlord that you have done everything you can, if it's still causing problems for her, she should make some adjustments. and also that she won't find people quieter than you.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post
    You make people take off their shoes? Why would you have people walking with their dirty shoes in your place any way?
    Difference between Americans and Europeans. Europeans have this weird obsession with taking off their shoes when they go somewhere. To Americans, it feels like getting undressed. Our sidewalks are clean, and most people stick to sidewalks... we don't eat off the floor... I don't get why it's necessary to take off shoes everywhere you go :P I mean, sure, you step in some mud or poop, you take off your shoes... but normally? nah.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Take your goddamn shoes off.

Anyways: Al, i think the logical conclusion here is that your landlord is crazy. Happens sometimes: i had one who didn't understand what the internet was: always rambling about "how those internet wires will burn the house down": my roomates and i would just smile and nod.
    Last edited by jacknife737; 12-20-2010 at 01:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Once your landlord decides something you're basically screwed, whether they're right about it or not.

What annoys me the most is when certain situations which are generally socially accepted by most suddenly come into play. Like noise on a Friday or Saturday night. I didn't go out last night and my neighbors had friends over - it was fairly loud, but I understand. In a few weeks I'll be the one with people over, and they've never given me shit.

Weekdays have an unspoken rule of about 10-11PM or so, latest. The biggest problem is when people knock your door down for talking too loudly at 7PM on a Saturday. It's just ridiculous.

As for noises that don't exist, I wouldn't bet on changing any minds, Al. Just get the landlord a white noise machine for Christmas and hope for the best.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

I don't know if anything's decided. Just that I've had a few complaints on nights where I didn't even have people over. Apparently the way this place is built they can hear footsteps below. That's normal, I get it getting annoying. There's a reason I always live on the top floor.

But again, I gotta do something on my end to dampen the noise before telling her to put up with it. So to reiterate, is there anything I can do to reduce the noise of footsteps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    If I had the power, I would finally grant your wish to be polls moderator. With no voting rights. Like the Washington DC of modship.
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyoff
    do you have boobs??? because in your picture it looks like you have. are you a boy or a girl?

Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Walk on your hands.
    omg sigged fuck you