Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What is the last record that blew your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    I seldom listen to new albums because there's always such a huge backlog of older albums that I have yet to hear.

With that in mind, I just discovered Alligator by The National and I just can't stop listening to it. I know that it's sometimes considered their weakest album and almost universally considered to be weaker than Boxer, but I just flat-out disagree. Boxer has some great songs on it but I can't listen to it from start to finish at all.

On Alligator, I feel as though the songs would even be good with no vocals at all. The drums and guitar sound like drums and guitar, in ways that made me realize that I had almost forgotten what they are supposed to sound like. The production is flawless- it's got a really clear quality, no reverb, nothing sounds clouded or masked at all. And the lyrics are astonishing in that they're often ridiculous or even grotesque, yet at the same time, on some level, you know exactly what he's talking about.
    I fucking love Alligator if only because it feels more like a band just sitting in a room somewhere playing music, whereas Boxer feels a little too polished sometimes in comparison. I mean I absolutely love both albums, but I prefer Alligator just a tiny bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Retard View Post
    see i don't understand statements like that.... there will always be old music out there, but at the same time the stuff that's new now will just be old within the next few years, get a little of both each time you go and pick up music. One new thing, one old. That way you're always up on things. and a lotta old shit sucks just as much as new shit, but since it's old people seem to have this big aura around it.
    I get what he's saying. I'm someone who just kind of devours music and is constantly checking something else out, and sometimes it gets overwhelming. Last year I made it a goal to really go through the back catalogues of bands I like but haven't heard a lot of stuff, and I found it to be a lot more rewarding than just picking up a ton of new stuff. Like, I've always loved the 3 Flaming Lips albums I knew, but there are like 5-6 more that I had never heard. So last year instead of constantly consuming new music, I checked out those albums and got really deep into them, listening to nothing else for a month or so and just lived inside them. That's hard to do with new releases sometimes because there's this pressure to keep consuming new releases in order to keep up with the times, but sometimes that turns music into a homework assignment instead of an immersive experience like it should be.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".

Suiticide by Pour Habit. I had heard a couple of song by the band years ago and thought that it was just another shitty pop-punk band from Fat Wreck, but then I stumbled upon the song "Zion" two weeks ago and I fucking loved it, so I had to buy the album. The album amazed me! I feel they sound like Offspring on speed. "Zion" is such a great song, and I like nearly all the others as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

I do hate to throw around the word "perfect", especially with albums that are incredibly new. But let's just say that every other band that's planning on releasing a record this year is going to have to work pretty damn hard to top this. This album seems to have a notable Gaslight Anthem influence, especially in the lyrics (love songs to waitresses, american muscle cars and nostalgically looking back on youth).

Weakerthans frontman John Samson shows why he's Canada's best lyricist wtih this one. When I Write My Master's Thesis seems to have become my theme song these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Menzingers is already out? Goddammit i didn't know that.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

It's official release date is Feb 02, but it's streaming online. I was going to wait until then to hear it but curiosity got the best of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

hhhhmmmm yea, that's a toughe one.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

The last record to listen to what you have for the first time and thoughts for the benefit of all the "Holy crap! ' seriously compromised by a large area, I found and the album through a variety of topics.

Classics of Love - S/T

It is Jesse Michaels' "new" band, and holy shit is it great! It is a mixture of melodic hardcore, '80s hardcore and some ska. This is the most political lyrics Jesse ever has written, and I love how he is utilising his raspy shouting voice when singing, much like Op Ivy. This album is incredible!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post
    It is Jesse Michaels' "new" band
    Read this as Brett Michaels. Now thinking about Brett Michaels being in OpIvy. Thanks, Rage.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

the hell ep with matt skiba and atom willard