Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: They're coming to America

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,240


    Default They're coming to America

    I found this amusing.
    They're Coming To America
    by Gene Callahan
    3/1/2002

    Many libertarians have been far too complacent in the face of a growing threat to our cultural cohesion, our way of life, and our liberty. I'm talking, of course, about the thousands of people who arrive in our country everyday, hoping to make it their new home.

    Those arrivals present us with a myriad of social problems. For the most part, they do not speak our language. They are unfamiliar with our culture. It will take time to assimilate them all, and the government's effort to promote multi-culturalism through the public schools and other government institutions can only lengthen that assimilation time.

    Few of these strangers arrive in America with job offers in hand. The odds are high that many of them will rely, at some point in their lives, on government handouts. And studies show that the longer new arrivals reside in the country, the more likely they are to receive welfare.

    They will make use of public transportation, public roads, public utilities, public schools, and so on, further straining resources that are already stretched thin in many cases. Their arrival results in a "dumbing down" of the public education system, prompting politicians to throw even more money at it.

    All of the above means an increased tax burden on the productive members of society, many of whom already work over half their day to pay their federal, state, and local income taxes, sales taxes, excise taxes, tariffs, and fees.

    Because of the lure of government largesse dangled before them, the new arrivals represent a ready-made voting block for a bigger state. Unfamiliar with the American tradition of limited government, the arguments against expanded social programs seem remote and abstract to them, while the benefits appear immediate and tangible. The resultant swelling of the class of tax consumers portends an ominous increase in the scope of the welfare state.

    As we have time to watch them adapting to our country, we find their customs strange. Whether it is their music, dress, dating, or manners, their distinct cultures present what appears to be an unbridgeable gulf between them and traditional American life. Americans find themselves longing, as Peter Brimelow put it, "for some degree of ethnic and cultural coherence."

    It is true that many of them will become productive members of the workforce. But, so long as there are people already living in our country who are without work, or stuck in menial jobs, it ill-behooves us to bring in newcomers to grab the good jobs that the economy does create.

    Libertarians are correctly suspicious of any increases in government power. In the case of these new Americans, however, it should be clear that the cause of liberty is advanced, not retarded, by limiting their influx. So great are their numbers, and so enormous is the difficulty in assimilating them, that the current situation amounts to little less than a foreign invasion of our shores. Libertarians should at least be able to agree that as long as we have any government, its most essential role is to protect the nation from foreign invasion!

    Of course, in a purely libertarian society, it would be property owners who would have the right to accept or reject anyone wishing to live on or otherwise use their property. But we don't live in that society. Property owners today are limited by law from excluding individuals from their place of employment due to affirmative-action and anti-discrimination laws, and from their neighborhoods by civil-rights legislation.

    Simply reducing the number of arrivals allowed in the country each year would be a step forward. But given the vast numbers who have already arrived in the past two decades, it would be wiser to place a several-year moratorium on all new…

    What's that you say? Immigration?! You think I've been talking about immigrants?

    I've been talking about babies. What we need is a several-year moratorium on births. Our battle cry should be, "Outlaw babies, for the sake of our liberty!"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,240


    Default

    I'm bumping this because I thought this was pretty awesome. To give this thread a point uhh... Do we need tighter or looser immigration policy?

    I always thought it was kind of weird that we put such an uneven emphasis on the poor in our own country compared to the poor in other countries. If you're a champion of wealth equality, shouldn't that philosophy extend towards people of even poorer nations, not just here in the US?

    More open boarders in the US (or at least expanding work visa programs) I feel would be the best welfare increasing policy we can bring to the rest of the world without actively redistributing income through taxes. I like Dean Bakers proposal of bringing in more foreigners to the US y to study to become doctors, which would bring down health care costs by bringing up the supply of doctors (and hence lower doctor wages). The gains in trade are win win.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,119


    Default

    Yeah, just what I want, some derelict, homeless fucking immigrant, from some third world shit hole country, coming to America on my dime, paying for his education so this sudden wonder child can become a fucking doctor. Sure, just the ticket we need to save the health care system, Dr. Ahzur-binizach-didabitch, taking care of my rectal exam. I'll pass.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,240


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Yeah, just what I want, some derelict, homeless fucking immigrant, from some third world shit hole country, coming to America on my dime, paying for his education so this sudden wonder child can become a fucking doctor. Sure, just the ticket we need to save the health care system, Dr. Ahzur-binizach-didabitch, taking care of my rectal exam. I'll pass.
    I rushed that sentence and garbled it up. Doctors would be trained in their own country to US standards, which is a ton cheaper than training them here. There's no subsidization. No different from allowing clothes manufactured in other countries to be sold here. As of right now, perfectly qualified foreign doctors aren't allow to practice in the US.
    Last edited by Jebus; 01-16-2014 at 08:37 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,916


    2 members appreciate this post.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    I found this amusing.
    Sounds reminiscent of a Doug Stanhope bit.

    It generally amuses me whenever Americans get worked up about immigration. I mean, come on guys.The doors should have been locked shut right after your great-grandaddy got in, right? Give me a fucking break. Go back to Europe you pale-faced hypocritical fucks and beg an Indian for forgiveness on the way out. Then maybe I'll take you seriously.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,119


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Sounds reminiscent of a Doug Stanhope bit.

    It generally amuses me whenever Americans get worked up about immigration. I mean, come on guys.The doors should have been locked shut right after your great-grandaddy got in, right? Give me a fucking break. Go back to Europe you pale-faced hypocritical fucks and beg an Indian for forgiveness on the way out. Then maybe I'll take you seriously.
    Lol...made me giggle. Of course there is some hypocrisy here. So what? Everything changes and you can only afford or allow so much before the tipping point is reached. You can't apply the needs of the 1870's to modern times. Sounds like a nice "idea", doesn't work today. Anchor babies should be positively done away with. It had it's time. Done. If you want to be a citizen, you should do it legally and anyone allowing undoc's or people w/o work visas in their work place, $100,000 fine each time. If found here illegally, bye-bye. You want to be a citizen? Cool, apply. Does it take a long time? Yep...don't care. Positively no benefits of any kind for 10 years, no unemployment, no SSI, no state aid, nothing, ZERO. Just like "ol grandad" did. Fucking people want to walk in here and assume they belong and have the same benefits as everyone else just because they happen to walk across a fuckling border. It's insane.
    Last edited by MOTO13; 01-20-2014 at 07:25 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,038


    Default

    Treating the original article as though it's against immigration (because truthfully, these are the kinds of arguments made against it): "Few of these strangers arrive in America with job offers in hand. The odds are high that many of them will rely, at some point in their lives, on government handouts. And studies show that the longer new arrivals reside in the country, the more likely they are to receive welfare. " I see this argument all the time, and it's full of misinformation. People who make this claim have some very fundamental things wrong. You can not get welfare or "government handouts" if you are not a legal tax resident of the country. To become a legal tax resident of the country, you either have to be employed or get married. Illegal immigrants can not get shit from the government. Anyway, while there were holes in the analogy, the comparison to babies was a good one
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,119


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Treating the original article as though it's against immigration (because truthfully, these are the kinds of arguments made against it): "Few of these strangers arrive in America with job offers in hand. The odds are high that many of them will rely, at some point in their lives, on government handouts. And studies show that the longer new arrivals reside in the country, the more likely they are to receive welfare. " I see this argument all the time, and it's full of misinformation. People who make this claim have some very fundamental things wrong. You can not get welfare or "government handouts" if you are not a legal tax resident of the country. To become a legal tax resident of the country, you either have to be employed or get married. Illegal immigrants can not get shit from the government. Anyway, while there were holes in the analogy, the comparison to babies was a good one
    So illegals can't and don't get welfare, sorry...can't get shit, from the state? That's your point? It never happened and it doesn't happen...ever. And, you're sure of this I assume? Before you say yes, I am sure of it, you may just want to say, no, I am full of shit, I really have not one fucking clue and just acknowledge that it does occur. Cause, I'm pretty sure it has occurred at least ONE time under a fake name by an illegal alien. And I can prove it. Illegal immagration welfare fraud in Greenbay, Wisconsin...2013. Google it.

    Far too many people have their heads shoved up their asses in this country and simply believe whatever bullshit is fed. Llamas flat out states, and probably believes for whatever insane reason, that this problem simply doesn't exist. Can't happen, doesn't happen...nope. Fraud?... noohhhhh way. Anyone who seriously believes there is not massive welfare/fraud and handouts to illegal immigrants for a variety of things is so blind and misguided they need a seeing eye dog. Politicians have looked the other way for years...why? VOTES. Win the latino vote and you can possibly swing an election. Don't piss of the mex's. Mainly being pushed by the liberal left. They need uneducated, ill informed dolts to support their philosophy of expanding/growing government because the people who voted them in...need the handouts and programs.
    Last edited by MOTO13; 01-20-2014 at 02:12 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,916


    Default

    Is fraud somehow worse when committed by an immigrant? Pretty sure that shit's illegal no matter who you are. And obviously not what the discussion was about.

    I did like the part where you suggested large fines for employers of illegal immigrants. I've always felt that's the sensible way to go about it. Make it unprofitable to hire them. Take away the jobs and they'll eventually stop coming, right?
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,038


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Is fraud somehow worse when committed by an immigrant? Pretty sure that shit's illegal no matter who you are. And obviously not what the discussion was about.
    Exactly. Fraud has nothing to do with immigrant or not. The argument is usually that immigrants will probably live off welfare, but the fact is that that's incredibly rare - and more Americans commit welfare fraud than do immigrants.

    I did like the part where you suggested large fines for employers of illegal immigrants. I've always felt that's the sensible way to go about it. Make it unprofitable to hire them. Take away the jobs and they'll eventually stop coming, right?
    This I more or less agree with. Employers should either help their workers obtain a status, or they should find someone who can work legally. None of this paying people less than minimum wage under the table because you save money by not doing things the right way. Punish the employers, and people will be a lot less likely to cross illegally if they can't get a job illegally.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •