Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Racist Stereotypes

More often then I'd except, black people are loud (I remember someone made a thread about stereotypes that are actually true about two years ago and they mentioned this (EDIT: See below).

More often then I'd expect, black people don't have the same concern for being polite about acknowledging where others are trying to walk/moving over a bit in crowded public places.

Now see, my explanation for this would be that: black people come from poorer areas more often then whites: people in poorer areas regardless of race don't have as much of a concern for certain types of public etiquette: some black people don't have as much of a concern for certain types of public etiquette.

EDIT: Here's the old thread I mentioned: http://www.offspring.com/community/s...ereotypes+true Wow, I actually wrote the same two things Jakebert wrote. Sorry to drag you into this Jakebert, but you have superior credibility on this BBS, so that helps me make my case lol.
    Last edited by bighead384; 04-20-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Black people are often loud (I remember someone made a thread about stereotypes that are actually true about two years ago and they mentioned this).

Black people often don't have the same concern for being polite about acknowledging where others are trying to walk/moving over a bit in crowded public places.

Now see, my explanation for this would be that: black people come from poorer areas more often then whites: people in poorer areas regardless of race don't have as much of a concern for certain types of public etiquette: some black people don't have as much of a concern for certain types of public etiquette.
    Hey that's exactly like american tourists in the subway ! (And that's how you kill 3 posts trying to prove that parisians aren't rude) But your explanation doesn't work for that.

PS: That's not even true. It's german tourists. Or spanish. Or Italians.

PPS: Don't hate me, I'm joking really.

But I do have an explanation for that one. Tourists are loudER than the rest of us because by definition, a tourist is rarely alone. When he is, he's not talking anyway. Also, parisians in the subway are not often with people. You take the subway to go see your friends. Not with them. As a result, in a subway, if the train wasn't making noise, you could hear a fly sometimes. That's why when tourists get in and talk, logically, you notice.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Guys, I'm not racist, I have a black friend. No, seriously, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by coke_a_holic View Post
    Guys, I'm not racist, I have a black friend. No, seriously, I do.
    coke_a_holic has loads of black friends. Some of the white people he knows are surprised by it, but coke_a_holic doesn't get that because he's super ultra anti-racist.
    Last edited by bighead384; 04-20-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think there is any reason to believe that any race is superior to another. But I can't truly and honestly say that I observe all stereotypes (positive and negative) to be false. I can't fight the overwhelming sense that I'm lying to myself and denying my true observations in order to fall in line with social theories that seem just and politically correct.

Oh yeah, and just to show I have some awareness about my fellow white people, I find this list to be mostly true: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/full...e-people-like/ (I remember someone posted this here a while ago).
    White liberals live their entire life lying to themselves. It's kind of sad actually, but even more pathetic. I glanced the "stuff white people like" list and almost none of it applies to me. It's basically a list of things that white liberals who lie to themselves like or at least they think they like or try to convince themselves and others they like. I'd like to see some of them go in for heart surgery and have to choose between a team of doctors. One team being all white and the other team of doctors being all black. They'd almost certainly choose the white doctors if their life was on the line.

Mmmm, trolly.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

How is liking something and convincing yourself you like something any different? No seriously, as long as I enjoy it, one way or another, how does it matter how I got to that point?

I feel pre-existing stereotypes help you notice certain things about certain people a lot more often and a lot easier. If a black guy is loud, you think about that stereotype and then you think 'oh, he is loud because he is a black guy.' But I am sure you know loud and obnoxious white guys, but you because you don't have that preconceived notion you just think 'oh, he is loud because he is a douchebag.' See what I'm saying? This preconceived notions of steryotypes are a lot like self fulfilling prophecies, you only see it that way because you expect to see it that way.

I'm actually in the middle of work doing this on my iPod, so it might be a little messy, but I think you can get the point.

Also, did anyone see the news about that Tea Party woman who forwarded an email that was Obama's head photoshopped on a baby chimp and somethin about his birth certificate? Parts of her 'apology' are, she didn't know it was racist (fucking lie), she has black friends (roflcopter), she is just a humble Christian girl trying to live by Gods word (more bullshit), and she blamed the person who leaked it, calling the a coward. She is also refusing to resign. Stay classy, Tea Partiers.
    I wrote a four word letter.

This is a little off topic in a way but for some reason I've lways had issues calling Jewish people Jews.

I was chatting with a woman recently and at some point she referred to me as a Brit. It was a pleasant chat and afterwards we went our separate ways. Five minutes later she returned to apologize for calling me a Brit. She said she hoped I wasn't offended.

I, of course, found this hilarious. Why would I be offended at having "British" abbreviated to "Brit"? But then it dawned on me that there's just no way to know what silly shit people might get offended over. If you abbreviate "Pakistani" as "Paki" that's supposedly bad, right? And it's exactly the same concept. What is wrong with "Paki" exactly? Admittedly when someone uses that abbreviation it's quite often preceded by an expletive, but it's not any better if someone says "filthy fucking Pakistani person" either, is it? The abbreviation is not the offensive part of the sentence.

The previous Jew comment made me think of all this. Is it considered impolite to refer to Jews as "Jews"? Should you always say "Jewish person" or something? I really can't keep up with what's considered politically correct sometimes because there is no consistent rule for understanding it.

I find it interesting that, in my experience, white folks are less tolerant of racial slurs than the affected ethnic group. For example, I once saw a white guy call a black guy a nigger. The black guy essentially shrugged it off (which is either admirable or sad or both, depending on his reason) but the white folks present were outraged. Which is awesome, by the way. Because it was genuine. It wasn't just a "hey, we don't say that where they can hear" kind of thing. It makes me think that racial slurs are used often enough for the targetted ethnic group to be essentially used to it, but rarely enough so that most white folks in the vicinity are shocked somebody would say it.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Alright, Ima put forth a theoretical model here:

-Certain circumstances/conditions can cause individuals to be more likely to have bad public etiquette.

-If group x is commonly found in a circumstances/conditions that causes individuals to be more likely to have bad public etiquette, then individuals from group x will be more likely to have bad public etiquette.

Using a similar model, you could explain why many whites from rural areas that are not diverse are often intolerant of other lifestyles, right? It isn't because they are white, it is because of their environment which lacks diversity.

So what's wrong with applying this model to explain why black people are more likely to be obnoxious in some areas of public etiquette? I don't think the reason for this is because they are black, and I don't think black people are inherently inferior or any bullshit like that. I wouldn't even hold it against someone much if they had some obnoxious etiquette, I'd just be a little annoyed. I just think it's got a lot to do with how poor people (and of course, unfortunately blacks have disproportionately been poor) often differ in their public etiquette due to several external factors (such as the fast paced and high stress environment, being raised by a working single parent, etc).
    Last edited by bighead384; 04-21-2011 at 08:59 AM.