Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 324

Thread: Racist Stereotypes

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,009


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I, of course, found this hilarious. Why would I be offended at having "British" abbreviated to "Brit"? But then it dawned on me that there's just no way to know what silly shit people might get offended over. If you abbreviate "Pakistani" as "Paki" that's supposedly bad, right? And it's exactly the same concept. What is wrong with "Paki" exactly? Admittedly when someone uses that abbreviation it's quite often preceded by an expletive, but it's not any better if someone says "filthy fucking Pakistani person" either, is it? The abbreviation is not the offensive part of the sentence.
    Same with Japs and Mexis (though I haven't heard the latter too often). Never understood why "Japs" or "Pakis" is rude.

    But I once had a friend explain/joke about it this way: what if instead of saying you support your country, you shortened country this way? :P

    The previous Jew comment made me think of all this. Is it considered impolite to refer to Jews as "Jews"? Should you always say "Jewish person" or something? I really can't keep up with what's considered politically correct sometimes because there is no consistent rule for understanding it.
    To me, Jews is the same as blacks. I say both without any concern because I don't consider either to be offensive. But I have a Jewish friend who refers to herself as a Jew, in a non-sarcastic way. So of course I base my entire understanding on one person

    I find it interesting that, in my experience, white folks are less tolerant of racial slurs than the affected ethnic group. For example, I once saw a white guy call a black guy a nigger. The black guy essentially shrugged it off (which is either admirable or sad or both, depending on his reason) but the white folks present were outraged. Which is awesome, by the way. Because it was genuine. It wasn't just a "hey, we don't say that where they can hear" kind of thing. It makes me think that racial slurs are used often enough for the targetted ethnic group to be essentially used to it, but rarely enough so that most white folks in the vicinity are shocked somebody would say it.
    I was once in a store and wanted a shirt that was up above my reach, so I went to the cashier and asked her if someone could get it down for me. The woman politely said, "If you'll just go ask the woman over there with the darker complexion, she'll be glad to help you." I looked 'over there' and saw a black employee... and I don't just mean like, Obama black... I mean, recently-immigrated-from-Africa black. Her insane paranoia about being politically correct caused me to stifle a laugh and say, "Oh, you mean the black lady?" The expression on her face was priceless.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Gulag
    Posts
    1,155


    Default

    I loooooooooooove stereotypes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOSRdVAppRg


    So if mario is bashing liberals, does that mean he's reactionary fuck? Seems to me like he is...unless he wants to say he's in the middle
    HAVE YOU EVER GONE AWAY with ONE HUNDRED PUNKS to have THE WORST HANGOVER EVER?
    “Trust me, mate. Stingrays can't swim backwards.”~ Steve Irwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    That sucks. But it's not a surprise, I read an article which says that a lot if studies show that death is really bad for your health...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    Who is Blowjob Armstrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    Condoms, you and I.
    Quote Originally Posted by coke_a_holic
    Cockin' and Jockin' since July 2005

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    3,462


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mario_spaghettio View Post
    White liberals live their entire life lying to themselves. It's kind of sad actually, but even more pathetic. I glanced the "stuff white people like" list and almost none of it applies to me. It's basically a list of things that white liberals who lie to themselves like or at least they think they like or try to convince themselves and others they like. I'd like to see some of them go in for heart surgery and have to choose between a team of doctors. One team being all white and the other team of doctors being all black. They'd almost certainly choose the white doctors if their life was on the line.
    See, that's the nice thing about solipsism: Everything you say is right and everything else does not exist. And nobody is able to refute you. How cool must you feel?
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,


    The Ricetigers

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,124


    Default

    Saying black in France is totally ok. More, it's what should be said if you want to be politically correct.

    And I mean black, in english.

    because saying "Noir" which is the exact translation of "black" in french, is somehow pejorative.

    Weird, isn't it ?

    Same thing with Arab. You don't say "arabe" in a social context, you say "rebeu" which is actually the reversed syllables of arab. Arabe => Raba => rebeu. It also exists for blacks, that's "renoi", and jews (juif => feuj)
    Last edited by Harleyquiiinn; 04-21-2011 at 09:41 AM.
    ___________________________________________

    All the Beautiful Things you do

    Respect my authoritah !

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,366


    Default

    I'm very surprised no one has responded to my recent posts. I know I'm treading on thin ice with this race stuff. I'm getting really anxious...what's going on here?

    Here's how I feel right now, like at the end of the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r622O7Kh4B4

    I am Aragorn. The Army of the Dead are the liberal intellectuals of the BBS, swarming...waiting to put me in my place.

    WHAT SAY YOU!?
    Last edited by bighead384; 04-21-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    4,383


    Default

    George Carlin once said that words don't hurt and words are innocent

    You shouldn't be focused on the word, but more the racist asshole who uses it. "No one gets offended, when richard pryor or eddie murphy say nigger.. why? 'cause they're niggers!"

    Stomping out the bad words isn't going to change the fact that there is a racist maggot piece of shit on every street corner in the world, it may help conceal it tho...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Transmetropolitan
    Posts
    6,449


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Alright, Ima put forth a theoretical model here:

    -Certain circumstances/conditions can cause individuals to be more likely to have bad public etiquette.

    -If group x is commonly found in a circumstances/conditions that causes individuals to be more likely to have bad public etiquette, then individuals from group x will be more likely to have bad public etiquette.

    Using a similar model, you could explain why many whites from rural areas that are not diverse are often intolerant of other lifestyles, right? It isn't because they are white, it is because of their environment which lacks diversity.

    So what's wrong with applying this model to explain why black people are more likely to be obnoxious in some areas of public etiquette? I don't think the reason for this is because they are black, and I don't think black people are inherently inferior or any bullshit like that. I wouldn't even hold it against someone much if they had some obnoxious etiquette, I'd just be a little annoyed. I just think it's got a lot to do with how poor people (and of course, unfortunately blacks have disproportionately been poor) often differ in their public etiquette due to several external factors (such as the fast paced and high stress environment, being raised by a working single parent, etc).

    I'm not exactly sure what you want us to say...

    Everyone knows stereotypes have a basis in reality and had to get started somewhere. It's just that you cannot rely on stereotypes to judge individuals you don't know or use them as an excuse to discriminate. Because while yeah, a lot of black people are poor and grow up to be loud and obnoxious, so to a lot of poor white kids. Hell, so do a lot of rich white kids and a lot of rich black kids.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    The previous Jew comment made me think of all this. Is it considered impolite to refer to Jews as "Jews"? Should you always say "Jewish person" or something? I really can't keep up with what's considered politically correct sometimes because there is no consistent rule for understanding it.

    I was going to say it has to do with the connotation and implication of certain words, but then I realized that Jew and Brit are used in offensive ways all the time, so I'm not sure.
    Last edited by WebDudette; 04-21-2011 at 06:57 PM.
    I wrote a four word letter.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,895


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    Jew and Brit are used in offensive ways all the time, so I'm not sure.
    When is Brit ever used in a truly offensive way? I can't think of anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I'm very surprised no one has responded to my recent posts. I know I'm treading on thin ice with this race stuff. I'm getting really anxious...what's going on here?
    It's because you're falling all over yourself in an attempt to not come off as racist while not saying anything that could even be considered mildly offensive. It's really quite amusing. You're being the typical liberal white kid. You'd probably let yourself get mugged by a shifty looking black dude in a dark alley rather than avoid the alley and look like a racist. But if it was a shifty looking white dude there's no way you'd go in. In other words, you're taking precautionary measures to such an extreme level that you're actual being kinda silly.

    You're not treading on thin ice at all. You've said nothing offensive. And by carefully explaining all your own observations you've really left everybody with nothing to say.

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    So what's wrong with applying this model to explain why black people are more likely to be obnoxious in some areas of public etiquette?
    Nothing. And that's why nobody is saying anything. You obviously already understand the underlying issues and have never once even hinted that you think skin pigmentation itself has anything inherently to do with it.

    And there lies the only thing here that really matters. Racial observations are absolutely fine as long as you understand it's never actually racial. You understand that. Case closed. Nobody is going to pounce on you. Just like I've been trying to tell you all along...

    Oh, and one more thing. Don't talk about lacking credibility here and self-deprecating things like that. Your credibility is absolutely up to you. You earn it or lose it each time you post. If you have something you find worthy of saying then post it with confidence. You just seem to be overthinking the whole thing. It's like you don't feel accepted here when in reality you totally are. You might have had some issues in the past but nobody cares about that except you.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Truth Avenue
    Posts
    563


    Default

    "lol Jerome, that white liberal do gooder really got scared when she saw us walk in the room to perform her heart surgery"
    "She sure did Tyrone. When she saw our color we saw her true colors"

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,895


    Default

    Mario, you just want to believe that deep down everyone is like you. But really, all you're telling us is that you're a racist. And we really could have guessed that. Better luck next time, buddy.



    Chris Turk, baby. He could take his immaculate tool and make me bleed all night long.



    He can finger my wife anytime.

    (He was an obstetrician, in case that needs some context)
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •