Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Frack With Me!

Exclamation Don't Frack With Me!

I don't know how many people out there have heard the recent debates regarding hydraullic fracturing or "fracking". It's a controversial drilling method used to extract natural gas from shale formations. It's being packaged as "clean energy" by the natural gas companies, though its extremely wasteful and it's not clean.

There are over 500 chemicals injected into the "fracking fluid" and companies were not disclosing all of them because it is "proprietary" information. People are getting sick across the country and their drinking water is not safe.

Dick Cheney exempted natural gas companies from the Safe Water Act and more... So technically this extremely deregulated industry has no obligation to keep our drinking water safe. People are leasing their land to these natural gas companies and losing their water! What are these companies doing? Nothing.

If you haven't seen Gasland, you should check it out. I was well-informed about the controversial topic before seeing the documentary... And I believe all people should be too. If you go to Google.com and type in fracking in the news section you will find reports of damaged water supplies.

Gasland is available on netflix. Duke University released a study that found methane levels in ground water were 17 times higher in areas close to wells. The problem is our economy appears to be more important than our health and our personal gain is more important than the environment.

Didn't know anything about it but watched Gasland because it was one of the Oscar nominated documentaries and because all documentaries are awesome. That movie is seriously terrifying. There is flammable water, deathly ill animals, people with all kinds of cancer and other problems. I'd say it's a pretty important movie.
    I wrote a four word letter.

I remember hearing about this on Democracy Now. Apparently France has recently become the first nation to ban fracking, but not shale gas exploration altogether. I'm guessing it means that France will continue to invest in technological developments that will hopefully make it possible to make shale gas ready for commercial use without damaging the environment. Hopefully that is a realistic possibility, because it seems like a waste to not use shale gas at all.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Perhaps, you should consider this.

http://www.redstate.com/nighttwister...ing-dangerous/

This article quotes a few government officials on what happens with fracking fluids:

In Colorado, the majority of fracking fluids and produced water is recycled and reused.No fluids are sent to wastewater treatment plants. For the fluid that is disposed, 60 percent goes into regulated deep waste-injection wells. 20 percent evaporates from pits. 20 percent is discharged to surface water under permits from the state Water Quality Control Commission.
    -Dave Neslin, executive director of the Colorado state Oil and Gas Conservation Commission

This actually raises several questions for me, even though it's supposed to make the case that fracking isn't that bad. With the 20 percent that evaporates, does that mean that all the potentially dangerous liquids evaporate and there is no residual toxins? I doubt it. Also, what do they mean that the fluids are "discharged to surface water". That sounds terrible. They just release it into a body of water? Whether it's regulated or not, that specific practice can't be good.

Cool Thanks

Thanks for the article and feedback. France is ahead of the game... I've been keeping a close eye on it. I live in Ohio and people are leasing their lands like crazy now... And I'm just scared.

The group I work with actually went to the DC protest and it was amazing and powerful-- Though what concerns me is the media didn't give it the attention it deserved. The media down plays protests and problems caused by fracking and it really sucks.

A fracking report is schedule to be released June 13. We're holding a press conference and I know of several others going on across the country. I'll stop here and post more information as it becomes available.

We are currently battling the fracking war with Shell being the major culprit : Shell tries to greenwash fracking in South Africa, however our government has put a moratorium on the continuation of fracking, for the time being. South African moratorium on fracking

Letís hope that bribery and corruption doesnít win the day.

Post Great

Just checking back here to see whose all said different things. South Africa... They're hitting everywhere they can. I actually left a city counsel meeting last night in an effort to persuade the city to deny the gas company a chance to lease city land... And guess what? They did! After weeks of going to these meetings and stating valid objections, we have another win for the side that wants better environmental practices!

My suggestions to any of you who are facing drilling in your area would be to get informed first, and strategically set out to put a stop to it in your area. One thing we've learned since we have embarked on this journey is that for each side that takes a stand against it, more will follow.

I keep up-to-date information on my blog: Solidarity. Things everyone should know when signing a lease: the gas company can sell your lease to another company. They can change drilling methods, they are protected from key environmental laws (thanks to Dick Cheaney)-- So when they contaminate your water, since they are exempt from the Safe Drinking Water Act, they technically didn't do anything wrong. Also, majority of the liability rests in the property owner's hands.

Check out TASK (Take Action Spread Knowledge), a student organization from Kent State University (I'm in this group-- hey oh!). We're still working on our website, but we post information regularly.

Cheers!

Drillers are rude, such attitudes, but when I show my piece, complaints cease. Something's odd, I feel like I'm god you stupid dumbshit goddamn motherfracker!

Yeah, I dunno, I just had to.