Thread: Pavement sucks

Default Pavement sucks

I think Pavement is hands down the most overrated band in indie rock. To me, Pavement's songs sound more like organized jam sessions than thoughtfully crafted songs. Very rarely do they create a truly memorable melody. I wouldn't say Pavement is talentless, but their approach to writing songs just sucks. Almost every song is at the same tempo, similar rhythms, etc. They are never almost creative or innovative, and the only thing that gives a "indie" or unique aspect to their music is their it's just often disorganized and weird songwriting/riffs/melodies.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I generally agree, but my good friend keeps INSISTING that I give Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain another shot and I keep putting it off.

I will listen to it in depth either today or tomorrow and will post my findings.

I had a teacher in high school who loved them.... he was a massive stoner.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Overrated, definitely (is it really possible for a band in that position not to be?) but I still like them to a point. It's really, really rare that I get the urge to listen to them, though. I have no problem with music based around jams (Can are mindblowing, and the rest of the krautrock scene was pretty cool, too.)
    Last edited by nieh; 06-28-2011 at 08:29 PM.

But pitchfork says they're the greatest, and those dudes are never wrong!

I have been thoroughly underwhelmed by everything i've heard from them. It's not something that i've hated, but certainly nothing worthy of the praise it seems to receive. Hell, there are even much better 90s indie stuff out there: like Archers of Loaf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

I don't think I'm going to shock anyone by saying that I love Pavement. One, they're incredibly important to the thriving of indie rock/tape trading in the 90s. Secondly, I love jammy guitar rock and they do it great. Those weird riffs and melodies are intentional and kind of the point.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".

Quote Originally Posted by Jakebert View Post
    I don't think I'm going to shock anyone by saying that I love Pavement. One, they're incredibly important to the thriving of indie rock/tape trading in the 90s. Secondly, I love jammy guitar rock and they do it great. Those weird riffs and melodies are intentional and kind of the point.
    Just curious, what are your some of your favorites by Pavement? Only a small few songs stood out to me as memorable after many listens...
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

shady lane
    box elder
    silence kit
    gold soundz
    conduit for sale
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".