Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: early soundboard offspring gig

Thanks I've listened over and over. great show.

I wish they had never "evolved" to their actual sound.

and I wish they would play this songs live again.

Great Job Jon!

Quote Originally Posted by Red. View Post
    jawhn, could you upload that flier somewhere and put link here?
    Yah I dunno what black hole that post went into and can't remember what I wrote with it but here's a link to the flier:
    http://www.punkrecords.org/tmp/flier.png

I took the picture on the flier (tho Brien wasn't really that wide, chalk it up to shitty early 90s computer skillz), made the flier and promoted the show. I did the Offspring a few times in Southern CA but I think this might have been the last one.. after this they were too big for me to do anymore. Really cool dudes back then but lost touch with any of them after about this time so I dunno anymore, even though I kept buying their records.
    Last edited by jawhn; 07-24-2011 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    Seriously, too many awesome Offspring relics from 20+ years being dug up. I keep thinking I'm going to become jaded after a while, but I never do. Thank you, sir Jawhn. Very much.

I wanted to ask, do you remember this night? It must have been nothing for you at the time, but I can't even begin to imagine seeing a pre-famous Offspring and how awesome that would be. Hell, I'm always amazed when someone remembers listening to them before 1994.

EDIT: Oh my Lord, that bass part Greg plays during the chorus of "I Got a Right" is hella sexy [EDIT 2: I never noticed he does it in the studio version, too!]. I'm crushed that the tape cut out at the end of that song in particular. I want to know what chord they ended on!
    Fuck, I guess it was 20 years ago, doesn't seem like it. I vaguely remember but I used to go to Gilman a lot and I must have seen the Offspring 10 times back then so I think what I remember is kind of an amalgamation of several shows more than anything. An Offspring show I remember better than this one was earlier, where they opened for the Angry Samoans. I loved the Samoans but a friend had recently turned me on to the Offspring's first s/t Nemesis album which I'd been spinning for a while. Pretty sure I was the only kid up front singing those songs along with them and they seemed surprised afterward. I hadn't been able to track down their first single or demo tape so I asked if I could get one from them and a couple of weeks later it came in the mail, stoked. I'll see if I can find the notes they sent me with that shit and scan it for you guys too, if anybody cares.

Sorry about that last track man, I was bummed too. Rad Stooges cover

Quote Originally Posted by Red. View Post
    jawhn, could you upload that flier somewhere and put link here?
    You'll have to ask the admins at this point since the forum seems to intercept my posts containing links for moderation and I've tried twice now. Not sure if there isn't anybody manning the queue or what but I'm not having fun posting stuff that doesn't ever arrive...

I've approved the post now. Not sure why it was flagged as possible spam. Though the website you've linked to seem to forward to a different link
    * !

Thanks ;p

Ekhm, I care.

EDit: There's still fyouspammer, in that post above. But I'm a genious and I copied link! Hehehe! :P Ah, it's supposed to be fyouspammer, sorry Tijs. I feel like drunken mutter to himself now.
    Last edited by personal_loans_1; 07-24-2011 at 02:41 AM.

Gah, sorry about that Tijs.. left over hacks from when spammer sites would link my content.. fixed now.

Also, earlier I dug up some of the singles and some of them had some of the notes from Greg I'd mentioned before. The "two weeks" he referenced was because I kept seeing them at gigs and asking where the new single was and they kept saying "two weeks dude.."

http://www.punkrecords.org/tmp/offspring_singles.png

Thumbs up

Thanks again Jon, 'two weeks sure does take a long time these days.' yeeah, I know that. It must feel nice, to be one of those who, now so famous band used to thank for interest. I love those two covers. Stamp is pretty nice too.

I guess but not because they're famous. If they were famous at the time then I probably wouldn't have written them in the first place. They were just like any other punk rock band I'd go see on the weekends, get loaded, hang out and punk rock. I liked their music like a shit ton of other bands and I sought out their records and demos and whatever I could get my hands on. Sometimes that meant writing the bands when I had an address, maybe from another release or something and sometimes I'd get sent cool shit. I used to take my camera to shows a lot too so sometimes I'd send some of the pictures to the bands if they turned out decent enough and I liked the band a lot.

You're welcome Red, all you guys, I'm glad I had this stuff after all this time for others to appreciate too. I'm still unpacking from a move and going through storage shit so if I find any other Offspring related stuffs then I'll share it up too.

Um ok I guess I didn't fix that link hack after all. I'll figure it out tomorrow, I can't remember what the hell I did there. In the meantime, just copy and paste that link in, it only bugs on linking but works if you put it in manually, like Red mentioned.