Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After 6 years of waiting..........

Default After 6 years of waiting..........

hey folks!

I went to one of the shows of the last tour and realized some changes between the past and current shows. And as I've been a huge fan of the band for about 7 years (and I love, love, love them!) I'd be glag to hear what you guys think about my "observations".

First of all I noticed that the crowd at the concert changed. When I saw the Offspring back in 2005 there were some 'older' fans of whom i'd guess that they started listening to The Offspring in another decade than I did. I don't think that I saw anyone of them on the 2011 gig. I went to the show with some friend of mine who is about twice my age (>40) and he might have been the oldest one in the room. But thats not the matter.

So at lets say 9 P.M. The Offspring came on stage - I actually missed the tense excitement that usually exists in a crowd just before the band enters the stage- and I dicovered antother guitarist on stage. There was no third guitar in 2005. I'm not that good at playing the guitar but I do not think there's need for a thrid guitar in most of The Offspring's songs.
    Thirdly I noticed 3 fans around Dexter. I've never seen fans before at a rockshow and I think there quite out of place.

Next point: Dexter didn't move a lot. His movement seemed in generall tierd and ... sluggish. I dare to say that his whole gesture and facial expressure changed. Even his voice. The Power and conviction and enery is missing ...In generall Dexter did not seem to ... feel good on stage and his mimic seemed expressionless to me when I checked out the press photos. Especially compared to Noodles, who may have grown older and Greg K., who did not seem to have changed at all (thumbs up for that).

So, thanks for reading. I actually spent a lot of time and toughts on that til I decided to post it. And by the way: I still love, love, love The Offspring :-)
    Greeting from Cologne!
    Luna

Nice nick lalalaluna. I've seen 3 shows so far and only on one I missed that tense before too. Just one. But it was strange.

I love Offspring too, even without special vegan superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by lalalaluna View Post
    hey folks!

I went to one of the shows of the last tour and realized some changes between the past and current shows. And as I've been a huge fan of the band for about 7 years (and I love, love, love them!) I'd be glag to hear what you guys think about my "observations".

First of all I noticed that the crowd at the concert changed. When I saw the Offspring back in 2005 there were some 'older' fans of whom i'd guess that they started listening to The Offspring in another decade than I did. I don't think that I saw anyone of them on the 2011 gig. I went to the show with some friend of mine who is about twice my age (>40) and he might have been the oldest one in the room. But thats not the matter.

So at lets say 9 P.M. The Offspring came on stage - I actually missed the tense excitement that usually exists in a crowd just before the band enters the stage- and I dicovered antother guitarist on stage. There was no third guitar in 2005. I'm not that good at playing the guitar but I do not think there's need for a thrid guitar in most of The Offspring's songs.
    Thirdly I noticed 3 fans around Dexter. I've never seen fans before at a rockshow and I think there quite out of place.

Next point: Dexter didn't move a lot. His movement seemed in generall tierd and ... sluggish. I dare to say that his whole gesture and facial expressure changed. Even his voice. The Power and conviction and enery is missing ...In generall Dexter did not seem to ... feel good on stage and his mimic seemed expressionless to me when I checked out the press photos. Especially compared to Noodles, who may have grown older and Greg K., who did not seem to have changed at all (thumbs up for that).

So, thanks for reading. I actually spent a lot of time and toughts on that til I decided to post it. And by the way: I still love, love, love The Offspring :-)
    Greeting from Cologne!
    Luna
    I went to both paris show this year (4th and 5th for me) and there were some older crowd too, not just few. They use a 3rd guitar player since 2007\8 so where were you in those 5 years? they use it so that in the song where Dexter doesn't play it the sound is stil good and not poor as it would be (and was) with only one guitar. .... what's out of place in a fan...have you ever played on stage? it's hot as hell..and again they use fans since ever... (check out woodstock 99.... 12 years have passed).
    This year I saw Dexter more on it than the last shows, but then it changes night by night I think, he can even be in a bad mood...He may not jump in the crowd as he did when he was in his 20.... but they keep on rockin'

edit: I just saw it was your first post so I apologize if it seemed a bit rude

Yeah, they are growing 2nd generation of fans up.

Maybe, they are more professional these days. Watching the videos on youtube, they seemed very tight including Dexter's voice. Not tired at all.

I saw The Offspring only twice, in 2001 and 2011. Yes, Noodles and Greg didn't appeared much changed. Dexter plays less (he used to just sing only in few songs with one guitar, like "Bad Habit") and his voice may have changed a bit. But it's normal, voice changes with the passing of years. Expecially with high vocals like his style. But I think he still sings very well. He's fatter and he doesn't move as the old days. And yes, there's no need for three guitars in any of the songs they play live. But the show was emotional for me anyways because for me, as a 28 years old guy, it was like a dive in the past, back in my teenager years when I was 15 and start loving them!

i was in cologne 2005 and 2011. and i must say, that for me the 2011 concert was better. the whole band (including dexter) seems to enjoy the show.

i would say, that most of the fans where fans since "americana" - so bewtween 20 and 30 years old.

I've been to like 50 shows since 99.. I saw fans on stage every night... not just for Dexter.. I think they are super rock n roll

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by lalalaluna View Post
    First of all I noticed that the crowd at the concert changed.
    As Dexter_Italy said, there were plenty of 40+ people in Paris. But I would love to have seen a day nearly everyone was my age and older!
    So at lets say 9 P.M. The Offspring came on stage - I actually missed the tense excitement that usually exists in a crowd just before the band enters the stage-
    There was DEFINITELY that in Paris! People started applauding after every song went off, you know when they play music in between bands. I don't think I've seen that in the US shows I've been to.
    and I dicovered antother guitarist on stage. There was no third guitar in 2005.
    I could be completely wrong here, but I think Chris Higgins would play third guitar and all sorts of things way back in '90s. I think you just happened to catch the band when he was no longer playing with them.
    Greg K., who did not seem to have changed at all (thumbs up for that).
    Uncanny, innit?!
    Greeting from Cologne!
    Luna
    Thanks for spending any time and thought at all on your first post. We don't get a lot of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter_italy View Post
    I went to both paris show this year (4th and 5th for me)
    Same here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Skull View Post
    I saw The Offspring only twice, in 2001 and 2011.
    Same place both times?
    Dexter plays less (he used to just sing only in few songs with one guitar, like "Bad Habit")
    Actually, if you take a look at really old videos (pre-Smash), Dexter used to take off his guitar all the time. I haven't watched them for years, but I remember being struck by that, and wondering why he didn't play sometimes.
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by randman21 View Post
    Thanks for spending any time and thought at all on your first post. We don't get a lot of that.
    My first post was about my Offspring tattoo and nobody cared about that...

Same place both times?
    No, but same city. First time was in a sport arena, secondo time in a open air festival.

Actually, if you take a look at really old videos (pre-Smash), Dexter used to take off his guitar all the time. I haven't watched them for years, but I remember being struck by that, and wondering why he didn't play sometimes.
    I saw really a lot of shows. What I meant to say is that before having a third guitarist on tours, every song with two guitars was played by Dexter and Noodles, and the songs with one guitar by Noodles while Dexter was just singing. Now there have been a couple of songs with two guitars with Noodles and the other guy playing and Dexter was only on vocals. There's no need for three guitars in any of the songs they play live.
    It happened to Green Day too, for example They only used to have one guitar and BJ played all the time, then they started having songs with a second guitar (which on tour was played by a touring guitarist), then for some song with one guitar the only guitarist was the tour guy while BJ just sings. Maybe getting older means having less energies to sing and play for a whole show, but after all, I can easily live with that, as long as Dexter voice keeps being this good! In the last show I've been, in some points it was like listening a CD! I really hope he'll be able to preserve his voice in this way, more than 20 years of singing in that high-pitched tone ain't something easy for the vocal chords.

I think Dexter needs fans because he has Hyperhidrosis. I could think of some tyroid problem but he isn't that thin so we can exclude HyperT.

It's not a big problem. it's genetic and a lots of people have it.
    I am not another The Offspring fan but just THE Offspring FAN !

Dexter Holland - "Which one of you goes by the screen name of RonWelty?"